Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chop or not?

Options
  • 02-08-2014 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

hi all,mate has a cz .22.he would like it chopped to 16",but was wondering if he does,would he never be able to trade it in if he wanted a new gun,as the fornt sight will be gone,and it will be not as he bought it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

sniperman wrote: »
    hi all,mate has a cz .22.he would like it chopped to 16",but was wondering if he does,would he never be able to trade it in if he wanted a new gun,as the fornt sight will be gone,and it will be not as he bought it?

As far as I know, it's illegal for him to bring it below 50cm.

If he bought it shorter, he would be fine. Not the best law to interpret.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If he decided to chop the barrel it'd be a "his gun". By that i mean it may not be to everyone's liking. Also might affect resale/trade value. He would be better served trading for a CZ or Anschutz with 14 - 16" barrel. New or second hand. For the cost of cutting his current one, re-crowning and re-threading it'd probably cost the same to trade up.

As touched on above it's also illegal. This is one law that is actually very clear. It's illegal to cut it below 50cm.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

Cass wrote: »
    If he decided to chop the barrel it'd be a "his gun". By that i mean it may not be to everyone's liking. Also might affect resale/trade value. He would be better served trading for a CZ or Anschutz with 14 - 16" barrel. New or second hand. For the cost of cutting his current one, re-crowning and re-threading it'd probably cost the same to trade up.

As touched on above it's also illegal. This is one law that is actually very clear. It's illegal to cut it below 50cm.
    thanks for that,know of any dealer in tipp stocking those Anschutz 14-16 inch?

Paul O'Halloran in Drangan has the CZ. He is also the cheapest i've seen them at with a price of €550.

As for the Anschutz i don't know of anyone around Tipp with them in stock. However give Paul a ring and see. He told me before that he can usually get something in within a week or two if he doesn't have it in stock. (052)9152112
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Just as a side note. While the Anschutz is a better class of rifle than CZ, in .22lr i would hate to live on the difference between them. Also the CZ is €400 cheaper than the Annie so do't overlook the CZ just because it's a CZ.

He does them in straight stock and thumbhole in the 455 model. All come pre-threaded in 1/2"unf.

• Advertisement

Just as a side note. While the Anschutz is a better class of rifle than CZ, in .22lr i would hate to live on the difference between them. Also the CZ is €400 cheaper than the Annie so do't overlook the CZ just because it's a CZ.

He does them in straight stock and thumbhole in the 455 model. All come pre-threaded in 1/2"unf.
    thanks alot cass,as helpful as ever;)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

I have been following this thread over in the uk over the last few days makes for scary reading

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/89519-Disaster-Had-my-22-barrel-chopped

gearoidol wrote: »
    I have been following this thread over in the uk over the last few days makes for scary reading

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/89519-Disaster-Had-my-22-barrel-chopped
    sure is something to think about,but i know of .22s that were done,and the owners swear they got more accurate,maybe it depends who does the job.

Can i be the kill-joy again and remind you that this is all hypothetical. Cutting a barrel to below 20" is illegal. There is no grey area here. It's black and white. Any RFD that cuts the barrel below this length is breaking the law, as is the person getting it done.

People are under the impression that the short barrel issue is a grey area. It's only "grey" when you buy a factory made gun with a barrel shorter than 20".

As i said above, and it was even said on the thread linked to above, for the money you'd pay to get this done (if it were legal) you could put to your current rifle as a trade and buy a gun that is factory made with a shorter barrel and avoid both the legal issues and any possible accuracy issues from a botched job.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

Can i be the kill-joy again and remind you that this is all hypothetical. Cutting a barrel to below 20" is illegal. There is no grey area here. It's black and white. Any RFD that cuts the barrel below this length is breaking the law, as is the person getting it done.

People are under the impression that the short barrel issue is a grey area. It's only "grey" when you buy a factory made gun with a barrel shorter than 20".

As i said above, and it was even said on the thread linked to above, for the money you'd pay to get this done (if it were legal) you could put to your current rifle as a trade and buy a gun that is factory made with a shorter barrel and avoid both the legal issues and any possible accuracy issues from a botched job.

that's very good advice

• Advertisement

thanks cass for that,so what if a lad did not know that it was illegal to have that done,and got it done by a well known dealer,would he have to get rid of the gun,ie,scrap it,as he would not be able to sell it or trade it in?

sniperman wrote: »
    thanks cass for that,so what if a lad did not know that it was illegal to have that done,and got it done by a well known dealer,would he have to get rid of the gun,ie,scrap it,as he would not be able to sell it or trade it in?
    If a lad did not know it was illegal, and a well known gun dealer got it done, then the dealer would be done for an illegal act. If the dealer (not knowing it was illegal) only passes it onto the gunsmith and the gunsmith done it, he would be done for an illegal act.

There are too many links in the chain for someone not to know it's illegal. People choosing to ignore it is a different story and frankly not to be discussed on this forum as illegal acts are, well, illegal.

We often get accused of spouting the law when such topics come up, but unlike other areas of the law this is very straight forward and whatever you do or someone else does is your business, but we cannot allow discussion of illegal activities, and can only advise you as to the best course of action based on the law s it stands and not how a person wishes/thinks it should be.

Advertisement