Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Manchester United - The Prestigious International Champions Cup Final 20

1111213141517»

Comments

• K-9 wrote: »
    Objective analysis as ever.

No its biased because I love it when man u beat pool..so what.....i watched the match and at the end of 90 minutes u didn't deserve to win...the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

edgecutter wrote: »
    Great win for united, but it was also a positive that Pool made it difficult for us and highlights our need to strengthen.
    That said if Liverpool press like they did today in their games for the rest of the season, expect them to run out of steam come February.

They didn't run out of steam last season :confused:
    They badly need another quality forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

They didn't run out of steam last season :confused:
    They badly need another quality forward.

They will with extra games in Europe. It's difficult to play that high intensity when you have travelled and played tough games in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

edgecutter wrote: »
    Great win for united, but it was also a positive that Pool made it difficult for us and highlights our need to strengthen.
    That said if Liverpool press like they did today in their games for the rest of the season, expect them to run out of steam come February.

In fairness to Rodgers he has bought players that will help with the high pressing game so he'll have options to rotate unlike last season.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Anyone else think that the first 45mins for United was a reminder of when Rodgers came into the Liverpool and asked the backline to play passing football and it looked extremely awkward. Blackett looked the most comfortable on the ball, the others looked dreadful in possession. Will take a good while until they get more comfortable. Can see a few teams pressing them high until they get it right.

Both teams with a successful pre-season ... alot more to do though.

No injuries?

Job done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Positives must include another game with goals scored by someone other than Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

El Inho wrote: »
    Positives must include another game with goals scored by someone other than Suarez.

A penalty by Gerrard, wouldn't call that a positive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

jamesbere wrote: »
    A penalty by Gerrard, wouldn't call that a positive

I would call it sarcasm, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

quality won out in the end. Good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Had a quick skim of this thread. Man its embarrassing at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

joe123 wrote: »
    Had a quick skim of this thread. Man its embarrassing at times.

Thought the same this morning.

Clear penalty given, clumsy tackle inside the box, nothing more nothing less.

Cue United fans claiming it was never a penalty, and Liverpool fans calling for a red card.

It's funny how some posters are trying to take the high ground here when they would have been involved in the thick of it if they didn't have work in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This was my first ever match thread I started, it went very well I must say. And 87 thanks to the OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

It's funny how some posters are trying to take the high ground here when they would have been involved in the thick of it if they didn't have work in the morning.

You have to admit though, there was some awful sh1te posted

• Advertisement

x43r0 wrote: »
    You have to admit though, there was some awful sh1te posted

Yep, sure you get that in almost every single thread in the forum. I thought it kept in line with the pre-season nature, nobody went too overboard, well maybe one or two...

I just find it funny how some people let on they're above all that when the only reason they weren't involved was they were asleep.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Thought the same this morning.

Clear penalty given, clumsy tackle inside the box, nothing more nothing less.

Cue United fans claiming it was never a penalty, and Liverpool fans calling for a red card.

Except I don't think anybody called for a red card. We really are the worst us Liverpool fans.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

K-9 wrote: »
    We really are the worst us Liverpool fans.

Why do you keep on saying that?

Except I don't think anybody called for a red card. We really are the worst us Liverpool fans.

And I don't think anybody that seen the replay was in doubt it was a penalty. We really are just as bad.

Yep, sure you get that in almost every single thread in the forum. I thought it kept in line with the pre-season nature, nobody went too overboard, well maybe one or two...

I just dread Utd vs Lpool threads. Always cringeworthy - brings out the worst in both sets of fans
    I just find it funny how some people let on they're above all that when the only reason they weren't involved was they were asleep.

You're repeating yourself so I assume you want a response.

As far as I can see so far only myself and two others have commented on the standard of the thread. So which one of us exactly are you on about? or are you referring to all of us?

• Advertisement

I just dread Utd vs Lpool threads. Always cringeworthy - brings out the worst in both sets of fans

You're repeating yourself so I assume you want a response.

As far as I can see so far only myself and two others have commented on the standard of the thread. So which one of us exactly are you on about? or are you referring to all of us?

There was well more than just 2. I'm talking about the thread as a whole, it wasn't you anyway, your post just put it in my head is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Except I don't think anybody called for a red card.

At least one did. I've got better things to do than make stuff up!

And my post was not anti Liverpool so why try to make out that it was?

I was commenting on the extremes on both sides.

Jaysus, ye don't even have the "it's 3 in the morning" excuse. Some take this stuff very seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

rob316 wrote: »
    Good run out for both teams. Liverpool controlled the game well up till 57 mins but they lacked cutting edge. Sterling was the only player who looked like doing anything.
    Sturridge was a big loss.

That was united's almost first choice squad, liverpool were missing lovren, moreno, Manquillo, flanagan, lallana, markovic, Borini, Enrique and Sturridge.

Liverpool missing Reus as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

from what I can gather, no injuries for Liverpool, which is the first plus.

secondly, it seemed to be played at a pace approaching what is needed for the new season. this means fitness will be up. second plus.

Liverpool, by all objective accounts I've seen, played well and mainly had a few issues at the back. Mig was flaky, Johnson shíte. nothing new really. Utd took advantage. we didn't take full advantage of Jones' flakiness.

the main thing we learned, as if we needed proof, is that Utd will be a different animal this year. there are still weaknesses, and in particular a high press seems to expose some of their flaws, but the manager has instilled a confidence that will have them extremely competitive.

Rooney also looks himself again; probably because he's playing in his best position.

the thing we learned about Liverpool, again, as if we needed proof, is that Lovren is the key signing. that defence needs a leader, someone vocal, someone willing to boss people around. he needs to hit the ground running. Sakho looks like a beast, so if they can form an understanding, then it should go a long way to solving some problems.

also, Lambert needs to step it up big time.

i'd have preferred Liverpool not to lose, but meh. as long as we're ok for the start of the season, it really doesn't matter that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The match was meaningless in the sense that that result will have no impact on either of the PL fixtures between the two teams. On the other hand, it was meaningful in the sense that it's always nice to beat Liverpool. ;)

Had to go to bed at half time (and paying for even staying up that late right now), but I'll watch the second half this evening. That UnitedLive pre-season deal allowing you to watch the matches on demand is pretty sweet.

Jaysus, ye don't even have the "it's 3 in the morning" excuse. Some take this stuff very seriously.

It's a bit mad alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It was a good game, Liverpool impressive first half. Good closing down which led to quiet a few misplaced passes by Fletcher and Young. Thought our back 3 looked nervous at times with the ball

It will be hard for Liverpool to keep up that intensity all season, seemed to fade in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

SlickRic wrote: »
    from what I can gather, no injuries for Liverpool, which is the first plus.

secondly, it seemed to be played at a pace approaching what is needed for the new season. this means fitness will be up. second plus.

Liverpool, by all objective accounts I've seen, played well and mainly had a few issues at the back. Mig was flaky, Johnson shíte. nothing new really. Utd took advantage. we didn't take full advantage of Jones' flakiness.

the main thing we learned, as if we needed proof, is that Utd will be a different animal this year. there are still weaknesses, and in particular a high press seems to expose some of their flaws, but the manager has instilled a confidence that will have them extremely competitive.

Rooney also looks himself again; probably because he's playing in his best position.

the thing we learned about Liverpool, again, as if we needed proof, is that Lovren is the key signing. that defence needs a leader, someone vocal, someone willing to boss people around. he needs to hit the ground running. Sakho looks like a beast, so if they can form an understanding, then it should go a long way to solving some problems.

also, Lambert needs to step it up big time.

i'd have preferred Liverpool not to lose, but meh. as long as we're ok for the start of the season, it really doesn't matter that much.

Do you hope there's no injuries after every Liverpool pre season game?

The way Liverpool fans are down playing this game is laughable, don't get me wrong it doesn't mean a whole lot but for people to call it meaningless is just wrong.

Pre season games are to check out new players, new tactics and gain match sharpness. The result didn't matter but performances do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nailz wrote: »
    I really can't stand Liverpool's style of play, the more possession that is with United the better.
    Nailz wrote: »
    By boring us into submission, clearly.

Lollers! Just the 151 goals in Liverpool league matches last season like.

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »

The way Liverpool fans are down playing this game is laughable, don't get me wrong it doesn't mean a whole lot but for people to call it meaningless is just wrong.

Pre season games are to check out new players, new tactics and gain match sharpness. The result didn't matter but performances do.

Didn't watch the match myself, but from the reports it seems there were lots of positive aspects to Liverpool's performance so job done. Was a good preseason tournament overall from our perspective.

Bit of a silly question - I'd be worried about any fan who didn't

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Didn't watch the match myself, but from the reports it seems there were lots of positive aspects to Liverpool's performance so job done. Was a good preseason tournament overall from our perspective.

I'm not saying Liverpool were bad, I was getting at the fans completely down playing the game as if it meant absolutely nothing.
    Bit of a silly question - I'd be worried about any fan who didn't

It wouldn't be the first plus anyway.

I'm not saying Liverpool were bad, I was getting at the fans completely down playing the game as if it meant absolutely nothing.

The result meant absolutely nothing. The performance was grand so overall it will be pretty forgettable. Sounds like Lambert is a concern and Allen might end up behind Can in the pecking order for the new season. Apart from that, doesn't seem to be much of note.

I'd say this thread is far more insightful than the game itself tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Exactlly, the problem for us Liverpool last night was that pretty much all our new players couldn’t play like markovic, lallana and Louvren. Moreno and the other striker to come as well.

Whatever about life without suarez next season, not having sturridge fit either on top of above injured meant that in reality the team playing last night is no where near the starting 11..its disappointing to lose but in reality not much can be read into the defeat as that team will be nowhere the starting 11 on opening day of season. There about 5-6 first 11 missing, that’s not downplaying but a fact.

When I saw the team line ups last night and saw we had to field lambert upfront on his own vs a strong united team I feared the worst.Congrats to united, deserved victory but im just relived no more injuries on a worrying treatment table already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Once the slagging doesn't become personal, then everything is fair game on here IMO. If I didn't have work this morning and Liverpool had won, I'd have been going in heavy with memes and gifs.

It's the internet, people need to stop taking it so serious.

The result meant absolutely nothing. The performance was grand so overall it will be prety forgettable. Sounds like Lambert is a concern and Allen might end up behind Can in the pecking order for the new season. Apart from that, doesn't seem to be much of note.

Exactly, I believe we're saying the same thing, my point is questioning the mental state/mentality of some Liverpool fans pre match, so as you said this thread does offer quite the insight. I'd also add some utd fans too to the list.

Again don't get me wrong, Liverpool from what I heard played very well except from what you said, my point has nothing to do with the match itself.

Once the slagging doesn't become personal, then everything is fair game on here IMO. If I didn't have work this morning and Liverpool had won, I'd have been going in heavy with memes and gifs.

I don't think that's a reasonable excuse. I try and post only what I would be willing to say in person. I might not always succeed but I think we'd have a much more enjoyable forum if some of the more irritating posters took the same viewpoint.

Using the internet as an excuse to be a dick is immaturity in one of it's most base forms

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Is this the internet, or just fantasy
    Caught up in a piss take
    No escape from reality
    Open your eyes
    Look up the score and see
    I'm just Glen Johnson, I need no sympathy
    Because I'm easy come, easy go
    A little behind, little below
    Anyway the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me,
    to meeeeeeeeeeeee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the game is what it was.

it would've been nice to win, but it really doesn't matter. the performance was fine. Sterling looked great, as did Sakho. Johnson is crap, and Lovren is badly needed.

Liverpool got everything they'd have needed from the game, apart from the result.

United got everything they needed really, as well as the result. Fletcher is maybe not quite up to it at the very highest level anymore, Rooney is best as a striker (not a number 10), Jones is still a liability and needs to sharpen up, and players like Young could thrive from being under a competent manager.

great tournament all round for both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Obviously not happy we've lost but meh , pre-season etc. etc.

The loss could have a silver lining as it highlights the fact that we need another striker. We look to be shoring up the defence so once we make the right moves up front I wouldn't be too worried.

Congrats to UTD, maybe they can do what last years Guinness Cup winners Real Madrid did and win the Uefa Champ.....

Never mind:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I don't think that's a reasonable excuse. I try and post only what I would be willing to say in person. I might not always succeed but I think we'd have a much more enjoyable forum if some of the more irritating posters took the same viewpoint.

Using the internet as an excuse to be a dick is immaturity in one of it's most base forms

I've no problem saying what I say on here in person. As I said, once it isn't personal then it's fine IMO. If people get butt hurt over someone slagging their team on the internet, they need to have a long hard look at themselves.

The result meant absolutely nothing. The performance was grand so overall it will be pretty forgettable. Sounds like Lambert is a concern and Allen might end up behind Can in the pecking order for the new season. Apart from that, doesn't seem to be much of note.

Results really don't matter. Performances have been decent, with the same issues that we already knew still remaining, Mig, Johnson and Lambert isn't going to be a 2nd striker (though its harsh to judge him too much on a pre season). Can was good, Allen wasn't bad barring last night and Gerrard and Henderson didn't look that really bothered! Sakho was encouraging and I know we all keep going on about another striker, but Coutinho, Sterling and Sturridge will be very, very good, and we've yet to see much of Markovic and Lallana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

viper006 wrote: »
    Exactlly, the problem for us Liverpool last night was that pretty much all our new players couldn’t play like markovic, lallana and Louvren. Moreno and the other striker to come as well.

What's with this talking of Moreno? He hasn't even signed yet talking about it like he should of played. 2nd person to do so. If he hasn't signed and did I read correctly that a bid hasn't even been put in? Makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This entire thread is just mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Went to bed or rather fell asleep on the couch at 1-0 to Liverpool, twas grand. Woke up in bits from the couch and then skimmed the match-thread, fcuk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

viper006 wrote: »

What's with this talking of Moreno? He hasn't even signed yet talking about it like he should of played. 2nd person to do so. If he hasn't signed and did I read correctly that a bid hasn't even been put in? Makes no sense.

The post you quoted was pretty clear I thought...the post didn't intimate that he had signed, or should play, only that he and an unknown striker will be adding to the squad, which is a good thing for Liverpool's depth. Yeah, it's unofficial right now, and who knows maybe it'll fall apart (the way these things go, I would be far from shocked if it did collapse), but by and large within the media it seems like a done deal. For the purposes of the post it could just as easily said "a full back and striker to come in" and the point of the post would have remained the same.

Wouldn't get too upset about it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The post you quoted was pretty clear I thought...the post didn't intimate that he had signed, or should play, only that he and an unknown striker will be adding to the squad, which is a good thing for Liverpool's depth. Yeah, it's unofficial right now, and who knows maybe it'll fall apart (the way these things go, I would be far from shocked if it did collapse), but by and large within the media it seems like a done deal. For the purposes of the post it could just as easily said "a full back and striker to come in" and the point of the post would have remained the same.

Wouldn't get too upset about it to be honest.

Ya I was the original poster who rattled off the players missing. Its was 3am and it was pointed out to me united were missing a good few too which I acknowledged my mistake.
    Point remains Liverpool were missing a lot and still have a few to sign, a forward most importantly which we badly needed last night. United had Rooney and Mata, that was the difference last night.

United I would imagine will sign a CB and possibly another midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Only getting back online now since yesterday. United were bringing back memories of last season for a lot of the game, some appalling play. Liverpool very good for this time though it must be said but without Sturridge didn't have a go-to guy who could make something happen which is a worry for them but in terms of general play I thought they were excellent. United took control after presumably getting a bollocking from LVG at half time which is encouraging but I hope Van Gaal seen plain as day the deficiencies in midfield and defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Just finished watching the game. Thought Liverpool were the better side overall without much cutting edge. Probably to be expected given they have been playing under Rodgers for 2 years now. Didn't really learn anything new. Johnson was appaling. The sooner he is replaced the better. Would actually start Flanagan and Kelly ahead of him as it stands. Whatever about Manquillo.

First time to watch United under LVG. Lots of encouraging signs. Its a system that allows the front three a lot of freedom. I can see Mata, Rooney and RVP doing a lot of damage in the Premier League this year.

Herrera looks quite slight I thought. Gave away a lot of frees. Not convinced yet. Shaw will be great for United.

On the negative side, that back three is an accident waiting to happen.

Thought Tyler Blackett looked impressive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement