Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Manchester United - The Prestigious International Champions Cup Final 20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ah lads it's a nothing game. It's less important than the charity shield as that's pretty meaningless as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Nothing game that I'm looking forward too. With such a short turn around I can see wholesale changes to both teams. Not a game I particularly care about winning, however I still can't bear the thought of losing to our biggest rivals even if it is only a friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I can't imagine Rodgers or Van Gaal allowing the players not to push themselves because "it's a meaningless match". I imagine every match is meaningful for the two Managers now in terms of picking his best team and preparing them for the league.

I know the match isn't really important for us as there is nothing of worth really to lose. But the idea that both teams don't care who wins is a bit silly. I'm sure both Rodgers and Van Gaal want to win and I can't imagine many fans of either side who wouldn't want to see their team win.

If a team goes into a match against a big rival and thinks "ah it's only preseason no need to push ourselves" then there is something very wrong with their attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

All this pre season tournament has shown is that utd and liverpool are further along their pre season preparations than the likes of city and real. Both clubs have played their world cup group phase players earlier than a lot of clubs in particular city. The final is 48 hours after their last game no injuries is far more important to me than a win .

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I can't imagine Rodgers or Van Gaal allowing the players not to push themselves because "it's a meaningless match". I imagine every match is meaningful for the two Managers now in terms of picking his best team and preparing them for the league.

I know the match isn't really important for us as there is nothing of worth really to lose. But the idea that both teams don't care who wins is a bit silly. I'm sure both Rodgers and Van Gaal want to win and I can't imagine many fans of either side who wouldn't want to see their team win.

If a team goes into a match against a big rival and thinks "ah it's only preseason no need to push ourselves" then there is something very wrong with their attitude.

The result is meaningless though. It's just about getting fitness back to match levels.

I'd take a 10-0 loss right now for 3 points in the first proper game

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

RobertKK wrote: »
    It all adds up, if either club were run with that approach to money, they would be broke.

woodward and Ian ayre to take the teamtalks so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

A lot of people getting carried away with the importance of this game. Both sides will be at half-strength as with all the friendlies in this competition. Obviously both sides will want to win with it being Liverpool-Man U but it will be a relatively low intensity match compared to anything we'll see in the Premier League in two weeks time.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The result is meaningless though. It's just about getting fitness back to match levels.

I'd take a 10-0 loss right now for 3 points in the first proper game

Obviously opinions will differ, of course I would like no injuries and for the players to play good football.

The result is meaningless yes, and I would consider the performance to be the main thing. And at the end of the day whoever loses, it doesn't have much impact and can just be put behind them and focus on the upcoming league.

Saying that I still wouldn't want to see a team I support lose to their biggest rivals, even in a friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Interesting to see the match being downplayed by some.

Would have thought it would be seen by all as a chance to get a psychological advantage over the other 2 weeks before the start of the season. The most meaningful pre-season match played based on the fact it's against a direct rival, both historically and positionally in the league. A good sign of where both teams are after a turbulent summer for both.

It's not, dare I say, that ye are going into excuse-making mode before United trounce ya :pac::p;):o:):D

Suppose ye lot need something to get excited about after last season! It's still a meaningless pre-season match which nobody would be bothered about anyway.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

When's the last time United played Liverpool in a final?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

double GG wrote: »
    When's the last time United played Liverpool in a final?

League cup, forget the year. 2001 maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The players on both sides will be up for this. While the result is meaningless, it will be a far better indication of things to come than any of the other games.
    It won't be played like a friendly.

It will have little bearing on things to come.

Plenty of players playing that'll be no longer at both clubs in a few weeks

It will be played like a friendly, probably a half dozen subs at halftime

By the sounds of things the mods mightn't have a bad time here. Not many fans on either side seem to care who wins so I can't imagine anyone starting rows when the match kicks off. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

HUGE GAME!! Winner gets Reus I think.

• Advertisement

It will have little bearing on things to come.

Plenty of players playing that'll be no longer at both clubs in a few weeks

It will be played like a friendly, probably a half dozen subs at halftime

It won't be PLAYED like a friendly. It will obviously have the rules of this friendly competition.
    If you think it's going to be casual, nonchalant performances all around you're mistaken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

It won't be PLAYED like a friendly. It will obviously have the rules of this friendly competition.
    If you think it's going to be casual, nonchalant performances all around you're mistaken.

If I was in charge of either team I'd drop the hype and remind players that an injury before the start of the season would suck balls.

It most certainly will be played like a friendly.

Just because it's ManU I don't expect the Liverpool players to give an extra fcuk.

No injuries, get some extra match fitness and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

RasTa wrote: »
    League cup, forget the year. 2001 maybe

Yeah it was the league cup . It was 2003 . Gerrard and Owen scored the only goals that day .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'll be fcuking devastated if my team loses and such a result will leave a sour taste in my mouth going into the new season.
    I got the sky back in early to watch the game.
    I hope Liverpool stuff Manchester United and burst their bubble of optimism that has been growing since LVG took charge or RVP and co.
    Winner of this finishes higher than the loser in the upcoming season IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I'll be fcuking devastated if my team loses and such a result will leave a sour taste in my mouth going into the new season.
    I got the sky back in early to watch the game.
    I hope Liverpool stuff Manchester United and burst their bubble of optimism that has been growing since LVG took charge or RVP and co.
    Winner of this finishes higher than the loser in the upcoming season IMO.

Doesn't matter what you think. This game will be a FRIENDLY with both sides probably making 6-8 subs at half time with a different starting XI finishing the game than starting it. If United play well but lose 1-0, I'll be happy. All I'm looking for is a performance the result is irrelevant.

Liverpool could very well stuff us but it wouldn't matter. It could serve as a learning curve to younger players like Keane,James,Blackett and Shaw if they play. This is what friendlies are about.

I would be delighted if United win but wouldn't lose too much sleep if they lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    HUGE GAME!! Winner gets Reus I think.

It's the match Vidal is using to decide who to sign for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I doubt either manager will be saying take it easy lads It's only a friendly.

It's fierce rivals playing each other, it won't have the same bite to it as a proper game but you can be sure both teams will want to win.

Plus It's likely the only silverware either team will win this season.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Downplayed?

Anyone building it up as something meaningful hasn't a notion imo. It has zero impact on anything to come in the real season

In an overall scheme of things you're right it's no big deal. It is good for united as it lets us practise our new system in another match setting.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I doubt either manager will be saying take it easy lads It's only a friendly.

It's fierce rivals playing each other, it won't have the same bite to it as a proper game but you can be sure both teams will want to win.

Plus It's likely the only silverware either team will win this season.

I also have to agree with this? When is the last friendly match united and liverpool have played?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sturridge is OUT!!!

A massive dent to Liverpools "Prestigious International Champions Cup Final" chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I do find Utd fans are bigging this one up.

Strange as I can't take a game serious that allows 11 subs per team.

These games are Mickey Mouse and offer no insight to the season ahead.

Man City's poor performance here for example will not impact on their favourites status for the title this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Nice game to win, doesnt matter if you lose. Good for fitness and the banter in here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

United fans are just a bit giddy with LVG that's all, they are playing a cross between Dutch total football and Barca's high pressing Tiki Taka, they believe they will smash anyone up! Last season IIRC Utd didn't register a win pre season and still whipped Swansea on the opening day, so that sort of shows you what good pre season is once business starts.

murpho999 wrote: »

Man City's poor performance here for example will not impact on their favourites status for the title this season.

There are a good few United fans who do seem to be talking it down but I would agree that it seems more United fans than Liverpool fans care more about the result.

I agree that it doesn't have much relevance to how a team will do next season as it is only one game. But I think the main thing is speaking from a United fans perspective is that after last season we want to see good performances continue this preseason. Even though it won't really have an impact on the league other than preparation.

Saying that no one will get worked up if they lose but it would be nice to see a good performance and a win.

It's not the be all and end all but after last season I think most United fans would prefer this good preseason run to continue to try keep confidence high and hit the ground running when the league starts.

I can't speak for the Liverpool fans but I imagine quite a few would love to see us get thumped even though most say it is a meaningless match ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Don't kid yourself, $1m is nothing to them. It's about 600k sterling.

The money made from making new fans in America could be worth serious money in the long term. Kids always like to support a winning team and could well be swayed by the likes of this game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It's not so much it's a "big" game for me anyway. For me, it's more about getting to try out the new tactics/formations against a team we'll play at least twice more over the season. Both teams are short a few players, but that doesn't mean it's not a good way of seeing how LVG's preparations are going against another, similiar level PL team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

80+ replies on a thread for a pre-season friendly that doesn't kick off for another 2 days.

Yep, this game is completely meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

80+ replies on a thread for a pre-season friendly that doesn't kick off for another 2 days.

LOL, it still is though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yep my thoughts exactly. Nothing friendly or meaningless about a liverpool and united match.

Lol, posting about a meaningless friendly doesn't make it any more meaningful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The KO is at 1 am isn't it? Who the hell is staying up that's what I wanna know. If this game was important it would be a 3 pm KO in Miami and we'd all be watching it. Ergo its not important and Liverpool will be lucky to have striker on the pitch anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

murpho999 wrote: »

Agreed but pity some fans don't/won't see it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Liverpool and United fans dont do friendly's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Are Liverpool supporters scared?

They were very giddy around the city and Roma game, checking out their new signings and tactics. Now It's the final against utd and all of a sudden it's a nothing game that none of them will even watch.

• Advertisement

delw wrote: »
    Agreed but pity some fans don't/won't see it that way.

From looking back through the posts (I hope I haven't missed any) I haven't found anybody who has said this will have a huge impact on where both teams will finish in the league.

Most people are agreeing that it doesn't have any significance on where both teams will finish but is a good exercise for confidence/morale, preparation and bragging rights.

To call it meaningless makes it sound like the game has no purpose or reason. Surely it is good preparation for the league playing one of your biggest rivals.

Obviously no one will be losing any sleep if they lose and want to get through the game without injuries, but to go into the game not caring about performance or result seems daft to me.

Most Liverpool fans would love to get one over on United be it a friendly, league match or even a 5-a-side. Same goes for United. For me the main thing is the performance and avoiding injuries.

They were very giddy around the city and Roma game, checking out their new signings and tactics. Now It's the final against utd and all of a sudden it's a nothing game that none of them will even watch.

Petrified.

The fear of losing this match is too much!

Petrified.

The fear of losing this match is too much!

;)

sarcasm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Wwe raw is also on at 1am so im more dissapointed then scared

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I think the match means a lot more to Man U fans and the club than Liverpool or it's fans. Utd have a lot to prove as does LVG. And Utd fans, after that disaster of a season and seeing Liverpool surge ahead of them, will badly want to get a win. Met two today and it was the first thing they said to me. It's a friendly but the bragging rights are probably more important.

As long as nobody is injured, I don't care to much. The wins over Man City, Milan etc are pretty meaningless. Nice to see players doing well but there's no points at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don't see a difference between the Roma game and this one. And I won't be watching this one either!

Hoping for no injuries and game time for the new signings. Also winning this one would be better than the other friendlies if it means an extra $1m but in reality have no idea what the tour itself raises so it's all relative.

I disagree that this is a nothing game and Roma was, neither of them mean anything in terms of getting a result bar the $1m prize. In a tournament with mandatory penalty kicks at 90mins to avoid draws, there's only so much you can care about the competitiveness of it.

• Advertisement

It's funny how the people so uninterested in this meaningless game are the ones with the most posts in the thread :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I imagine the vast majority of both sets of supporters will say it would be nice to win but wont lose any sleep over it should they lose. Its more about fitness and blending in new players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's a bit of fun before the real stuff starts.

meh.

unless it's a trouncing, whatever happens is completely meaningless in terms of the coming season.

and even if one of the teams gets humbled 5-0 or worse it shouldn't have much effect.

these games are all about fitness and teams getting used to tactics, formations and each other. it's a glorified training match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I imagine the vast majority of both sets of supporters will say it would be nice to win but wont lose any sleep over it should they lose. Its more about fitness and blending in new players.

It's the people who will be watching that'll be losing sleep over it! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Augmerson wrote: »
    I think the match means a lot more to Man U fans and the club than Liverpool or it's fans. Utd have a lot to prove as does LVG. And Utd fans, after that disaster of a season and seeing Liverpool surge ahead of them, will badly want to get a win. Met two today and it was the first thing they said to me. It's a friendly but the bragging rights are probably more important.

As long as nobody is injured, I don't care to much. The wins over Man City, Milan etc are pretty meaningless. Nice to see players doing well but there's no points at stake.

What are you smoking? Any Man Utd fan Ive talked to has said the exact same thing, Its a friendly it dont matter if win 5-0 or lose 5-0. Its the weekend after next when it starts to matter about results

• Advertisement
Advertisement