Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Manchester United - The Prestigious International Champions Cup Final 20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's a bit of fun before the real stuff starts.

meh.

unless it's a trouncing, whatever happens is completely meaningless in terms of the coming season.

and even if one of the teams gets humbled 5-0 or worse it shouldn't have much effect.

these games are all about fitness and teams getting used to tactics, formations and each other. it's a glorified training match.

I dunno about you but I think a humbling wouldn't be best for the confidence of the players of either team. :eek: A low key, injury free 1-0/2-1 either way is fine by me.

Again, Van Gaal and Rodgers aren't stupid, they know what this fixture means. It's a game that means nothing competitively but mentally, it could mean a lot depending on the outcome. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a borefest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Meaningless nonsense all this pre season.

No doubt you'll get top fans getting hot under the collar for this game

The only concern I have with this game is some eejit going in with a hard tackle like Ruddock many moons ago.

Roll on the real football
    Downplayed?

Anyone building it up as something meaningful hasn't a notion imo. It has zero impact on anything to come in the real season
    The result is meaningless though. It's just about getting fitness back to match levels.

I'd take a 10-0 loss right now for 3 points in the first proper game
    It will have little bearing on things to come.

Plenty of players playing that'll be no longer at both clubs in a few weeks

It will be played like a friendly, probably a half dozen subs at halftime
    It most certainly will be played like a friendly.

Just because it's ManU I don't expect the Liverpool players to give an extra fcuk.

No injuries, get some extra match fitness and move on.
    Lol, posting about a meaningless friendly doesn't make it any more meaningful
    Petrified.

The fear of losing this match is too much!

I'm a little bit confused, so you're saying the match doesn't mean anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

United have 1 more preseason game after this, 4 days before the season starts. It's fairly important.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Liam O wrote: »
    United have 1 more preseason game after this, 4 days before the season starts. It's fairly important.

Important to work on tactics, diff plays, players fitness etc.... but to think LVG or Rodgers will be upset if they dont win is laughable.

This games means as much as Blackburn V Stoke, Celtic V Spurs yesterday, **** ALL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Liam O wrote: »

Is there not a stupid international friendly or have they finally gotten rid of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I like how worked up some are getting about a meaningless friendly they mightn't even watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

You can smell the fear.

The Oranje Revolution has begun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

$1m wouldn't even pay Wayne Rooney for a month. That is less than pennies to these 2 clubs.

Look that covers Glen Johnson's wages for 2 months, every little helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Important to work on tactics, diff plays, players fitness etc.... but to think LVG or Rodgers will be upset if they dont win is laughable.

This games means as much as Blackburn V Stoke, Celtic V Spurs yesterday, **** ALL

Judging by LVG's response to the fourth official during the Inter match I think he does care.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    Judging by LVG's response to the fourth official during the Inter match I think he does care.

And after the Madrid match he did say
    "The game was not a friendly; I had the feeling that Real didn't want to lose"

I can't imagine him feeling any differently about the Liverpool game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

MagicIRL wrote: »
    You can smell the fear.

The Oranje Revolution has begun.

Scarlet, cringe.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

K-9 wrote: »
    Scarlet, cringe.

Yesh, join ush Kesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Why bother playing the final if you don't play to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Interesting one in a lot of ways. United vs Liverpool - can you imagine the trouble there would be if the 2 sides met in a champions league final somewhere on the continent with 25k fans from each club there for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

kstand wrote: »
    Interesting one in a lot of ways. United vs Liverpool - can you imagine the trouble there would be if the 2 sides met in a champions league final somewhere on the continent with 25k fans from each club there for it?

Somehow, i don't see it happening next season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

RobertKK wrote: »
    Why bother playing the final if you don't play to win.

For fitness obv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Quite happy with this fixture to be honest - perfect test at the right time.

It'll be more competitive than other preseason games, but less competitive than any premier league match - perfect to help the new guys get adjusted to the pace of the league.

I expect the 11 who take the field to do their best, but I also expect that players won't be jumping into those heated challenges one would normally see in a ManU V Pool game.

I also expect that neither side will field their best 11, with a nice mixture of youth and experience playing both halves instead.

In particular i'm interested to see how Can's exuberance and aggression looks when in a more competitive environment - he's dominated guys in the other preseason games, but this will be a better indicator of how he'll look in the league.

kstand wrote: »

Over here i'd say this game will have a lot of friendly banter between the fans, but no aggression whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

5live wrote: »

Or the season after that either. That is unless Liverpool actually win this seasons champions league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

5live wrote: »

You oul scoundrel. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Both teams are probably going to field a near full strength squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Regardless of whoever wins or loses you can bet the aftermath will be as cringeworthy as brendan holding up a liverpool top at ground zero.

I'm pretty sure the loser has to forfeit wearing red for the year. Interesting stakes and due to Rodgers and VG love of the colour I imagine they will want the players to give it everything. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

The winner gets 1 million dollars prize money!

Might cover the hotel bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

K-9 wrote: »
    LOL, it still is though.
    I wouldn't imagine it's meaningless for the five or six Utd players who are playing for their future in a red shirt. The likes of Kagawa, Young, Cleverley, Fletcher and Hernandez will be given it their all you'd imagine. Could prove to be a fairly feisty affair.

Pighead wrote: »
    I wouldn't imagine it's meaningless for the five or six Utd players who are playing for their future in a red shirt. The likes of Kagawa, Young, Cleverley, Fletcher and Hernandez will be given it their all you'd imagine. Could prove to be a fairly feisty affair.

How do you know Van Gaal hasn't decided their futures already?

Coates for one could well be playing again for Liverpool. Even though he's done well I very much doubt he'll be there in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Coates for one could well be playing again for Liverpool. Even though he's done well I very much doubt he'll be there in September.

He'd be a pretty poor manager if he could decide a players future role in his team based on one game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'd imagine he will decide their fate after pre-season, not during it. These games will help him decide who can do a job for him. I'm sure he'll give himself as many games as possible to help form a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Vicxas wrote: »
    Both teams are probably going to field a near full strength squad.

Doubt it tbh, at least from a Liverpool POV.

Can see the likes of Jones, Kelly, Coates, and Toure getting game time in the Liverpool defence.

Back up midfielders like Lucas, Can, and Allen will either start get a decent minutes on the pitch.

And Lambert will most likely be the man starting up front.

Throw in some game time for youngsters like Ibe and Suso as well.

The likes of Sturridge, Lovern, Lallana, Markovic etc will not be there due to injuries/visas etc.

Think it will be the coming weekend before a close to full strength Liverpool team gets put put in a friendly.

Not kept up to speed as to who LVG has been using in the Man U pre season games, but doubt a manager as savvy as he is will be going with a full strength team tonight either.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Caught offside have done a combined Liverpool v United team ahead of tonights game
    They have it like this
    De Gea
    Flanagan Lovern Sakho Shaw
    Sterling Gerrard Henderson Mata
    Sturridge RVP

No Herrera, Rooney, Coutinho, etc
    http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/08/04/liverpool-man-united-combined-xi-ahead-of-monday-nights-friendly-final/7/

Oh no, not a combo team!

Abandon thread!!

:)

• Advertisement

Fuhrer wrote: »
    He'd be a pretty poor manager if he could decide a players future role in his team based on one game.

Van Gaal has said he hasn't told anyone anything regarding their future at the club and he will sit down and tell the players after they return from the tour.

Even though one game won't change his decisions (decisions he has no doubt already made) I do agree that some players will see it as a game they have to do well in to try improve his opinion of them. The last thing they will want is a disaster of a match. Also the younger lads will be dying to prove they should be picked for the squad for the upcoming league.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Oh no, not a combo team!

Abandon thread!!

:)

Hahaha I couldnt resist !! :eek::D:D:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I love the way the two sides can argue for weeks about combined teams or the quality of long retired players but everyone's saying that an actual game of football doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

gosplan wrote: »
    I love the way the two sides can argue for weeks about combined teams or the quality of long retired players but everyone's saying that an actual game of football doesn't really matter.

It doesn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

gosplan wrote: »

Supporters of each team will of course want to see their team win, but at the end of the day it is only a pre season game, and will have little to no bearing on the coming season.

Just as the Liverpool win over Man City last week will have no bearing on City this coming season.

Come next Sunday when Liverpool run out at Anfield against Dortmund, a win or loss against Man U tonight is not going to be the big talking point. And go a week further down the line when Liverpool run out against Southampton on the 17th. The Man U preseason game will just be an afterthought at best.

Same will apply I imagine to Man U supporters. Doubt many will really give a toss about a loss or win against Liverpool in a pre season game once competitive games start up again and their club has something to play for in each game.

If points or a cup run were at stake, then this would be a "must win" game for both sides, but unless something extraordinary happens during tonight's game, then it is destined to become just another preseaon warm up game.

8-10 wrote: »
    It doesn't

It should, you either have a winning mentality or you don't. It was on MUTV that Van Gaal hates losing, even when playing cards with friends he hates losing. That is the type of person and mentality you want in a person managing a team.

Saying a game doesn't matter is saying a team can change it's mentality, lower the standards because it doesn't matter.

Van Gaal will be all out to win tonight, one would hope if a Liverpool fan and for Liverpool's sake that Brendan Rodgers has instilled the same mentality for his team.

If a team believes it can switch off for a match, what is to stop a team switching off when 2-0 up in a premier league game thinking they have it won?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

That's such a black and white viewpoint. Games aren't played in isolation and some are a lot more important than others.

Lvg might hate losing but I doubt he's gonna send his players out tonight with instructions to jump into tackles etc its a warm up game. Not much more important than a training match.

If a team believes it can switch off for a match, what is to stop a team switching off when 2-0 up in a premier league game thinking they have it won?

or 3-0 up and coasting with ~15 mins left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It should, you either have a winning mentality or you don't. It was on MUTV that Van Gaal hates losing, even when playing cards with friends he hates losing. That is the type of person and mentality you want in a person managing a team.

Saying a game doesn't matter is saying a team can change it's mentality, lower the standards because it doesn't matter.

Van Gaal will be all out to win tonight, one would hope if a Liverpool fan and for Liverpool's sake that Brendan Rodgers has instilled the same mentality for his team.

On MUTV he's hardly going to say anything else is he?

I've yet to come across any other successful sports person who likes losing.

Leftist wrote: »

That was caused by switching off was it?!! I thought it was caused by going all out up try and close the goal difference gap. Cheers for putting me straight on that though.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    On MUTV he's hardly going to say anything else is he?

I've yet to come across any other successful sports person who likes losing.

He didn't say it, one of the presenters said it.

Your last sentence, some others here think the match doesn't matter, they are playing for a cup in a final and yes I agree successful sports people don't like losing.
    That is why I think the downplaying of the match by some is wrong. There would be something wrong if one of the teams went out and didn't care if they won or lost.

Tbh the Dortmund game will be more useful as I assume Liverpool wont be playing basically the C teams back 4, which distinctly has the look of "shop window" about it. Really outside giving game time to Can, Lambert and maybe Allen, players who need good pre-seasons, the games haven't really showed us much we didn't already know.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Leftist wrote: »

Oh ye the game at old trafford the last time the two sides met.

He didn't say it, one of the presenters said it.

Your last sentence, some others here think the match doesn't matter, they are playing for a cup in a final and yes I agree successful sports people don't like losing.
    That is why I think the downplaying of the match by some is wrong. There would be something wrong if one of the teams went out and didn't care if they won or lost.

It's not about not caring, it's about his much they'll care. I'm sure everyone would rather win but it's not a priority. Fitness is the priority. Then players adapting to tactical changes for the season. Then maybe winning.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    That was caused by switching off was it?!! I thought it was caused by going all out up try and close the goal difference gap. Cheers for putting me straight on that though.

good point actually. Brendan's catastrophic error.

CL draw will be nice to watch this year!

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    That's such a black and white viewpoint. Games aren't played in isolation and some are a lot more important than others.

Lvg might hate losing but I doubt he's gonna send his players out tonight with instructions to jump into tackles etc its a warm up game. Not much more important than a training match.

There is a higher chance of injury if players don't play as normal. Players will tackle as normal, we often here how when a player is not tackling as normal to avoid injuries that they are more likely to cause injury.

It is a final and a team should be out to win every match and especially every final.

I can't see either of the managers saying 'this is just a training match'. Van Gaal even said the Real Madrid match was not a friendly, no reason why he would view this final as a friendly.

Both managers would want the positivity that comes with winning. When playing a rival there is no such thing as a training match. This was not a scheduled friendly, it is a final both teams find themselves in.

course they're not going to take it as seriously as a normal league/cup game.

7th and out of europe or not, any united supporter who views this cup as some genuine competition (ie will count the cup at the end of season) is either a kid or is hugely out of touch with reality.

This is a practice game. That's what preseason is.

Oh ye the game at old trafford the last time the two sides met.

That is the past, a lot has changed since then.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't read too much into managers comments after a match. He's hardly going to say Real weren't that bothered, plus its a bit of an insult to fans and the competition if he calls it meaningless. His attitude towards the 3rd place play off in the WC would be a truer reflection of how he sees it.

Advertisement