Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Manchester United - The Prestigious International Champions Cup Final 20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

RobertKK wrote: »
    He didn't say it, one of the presenters said it.

Your last sentence, some others here think the match doesn't matter, they are playing for a cup in a final and yes I agree successful sports people don't like losing.
    That is why I think the downplaying of the match by some is wrong. There would be something wrong if one of the teams went out and didn't care if they won or lost.

This a pre season mickey mouse tournament that is about promoting the game in the US and improving team fitness and club bank balances nothing more.

The final tonight will have teams make mass substitutions, experimental tactics and players get game time who would not normally play in a Liverpool v Man Utd match.

It will have zero bearing on the season ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Leftist wrote: »
    course they're not going to take it as seriously as a normal league/cup game.

7th and out of europe or not, any united supporter who views this cup as some genuine competition (ie will count the cup at the end of season) is either a kid or is hugely out of touch with reality.

This is a practice game. That's what preseason is.

It is a mentality game.

You either play to win, or should look elsewhere to play...from a United fan viewpoint.

Last season, United carried the preseason form into the premier league, and the whole gameplay/mentality/atmosphere was wrong.
    Lets cross the ball in for the sake of crossing in the ball...United are playing really nice football so far this preseason and winning only reinforces what the manager is telling the players to do.
    Results back up the instructions given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Leftist wrote: »
    good point actually. Brendan's catastrophic error.

It would have been had it actually had an effect on the outcome of the league. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good dig. (Expecting a "fhact" style response)

murpho999 wrote: »
    This a pre season mickey mouse tournament that is about promoting the game in the US and improving team fitness and club bank balances nothing more.

The final tonight will have teams make mass substitutions, experimental tactics and players get game time who would not normally play in a Liverpool v Man Utd match.

It will have zero bearing on the season ahead.

I would fear for Liverpool for the season ahead if they are not like United whose manager will have them all out to win tonight.

LVG has said some of the players will be playing 90 minutes tonight.

K-9 wrote: »
    Wouldn't read too much into managers comments after a match. He's hardly going to say Real weren't that bothered, plus its a bit of an insult to fans and the competition if he calls it meaningless. His attitude towards the 3rd place play off in the WC would be a truer reflection of how he sees it.

He said it before the game too. That Real Madrid would not want to lose all three games.

Yeah he won easily against Brazil, that is what it says about him in a game. It was not out to lose.

• Advertisement

I would fear for Liverpool for the season ahead if they are not like United whose manager will have them all out to win tonight.

Something strange going on here.

Seems like everyone involved with Utd needs this more after last season.

A win for Utd tonight and the frenzy will reach astronomical heights.

So going by this logic and recent results, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City have no chance of winning the premiership title and Real Madrid can be ruled out of the Champion's league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

So going by this logic and recent results, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City have no chance of winning the premiership title and Real Madrid can be ruled out of the Champion's league.

We've become bored waiting on Vidal, Pogba and every other European midfielder to join up so this will have to tide us over before we get to the last week of the transfer window waiting to sign Osman for 30mill.

No on said United will win the premier league, but it is highly likely they will be top 4. The whole atmosphere around the club is world's apart compared to 12 months ago.

Real Madrid and Bayern Munich would be my two guesses for the CL, with Chelsea the third option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Wow , LVG makes a comment about wanting to win and you don't think BR is thinking the same thing .
    That's some very very delusional thoughts . At the end of the day this is a pre season game and both managers would hardly want a game of kicking and the likes .
    Liverpool vs Man Utd will always be a big game but this won't make or break their season . The season doesn't start for another 2 weeks .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

No on said United will win the premier league, but it is highly likely they will be top 4. The whole atmosphere around the club is world's apart compared to 12 months ago.

Real Madrid and Bayern Munich would be my two guesses for the CL, with Chelsea the third option.
    No at all with their current squad. The defense is very poor & RVP is injury prone & probably past his peak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I reckon we might see as strong a Liverpool team as possible.

Only Sterling/Hendo from our best 11 started against Milan and they only got 45 minutes.

Think we will see Mignolet, Johnson, Skrtel, Sakho, Enrique, Gerrard, Henderson, Can, Coutinho, Sterling, Lambert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Surprised United are big favorites for this game Liverpool look good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'm sure yourself and the majority of utd fans weren't contemplating anything less than a top 3 finish this time 12 months ago. Whereas if it happens this time around most will be delighted so ye the atmosphere has completely changed in 12 months.

Wow , LVG makes a comment about wanting to win and you don't think BR is thinking the same thing .
    That's some very very delusional thoughts . At the end of the day this is a pre season game and both managers would hardly want a game of kicking and the likes .
    Liverpool vs Man Utd will always be a big game but this won't make or break their season . The season doesn't start for another 2 weeks .

I do, it is just some of the fans who think it doesn't matter.
    Wanting to win makes it matter in my opinion.

This sort of talk reminds me of the annual pre season confidence Liverpool used to get eventually leading to the "Our Year" jokes.

This sort of talk reminds me of the annual pre season confidence Liverpool used to get eventually leading to the "Our Year" jokes.

But I am not saying this will be our year, I just expect a top 4 in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Its gonna be a battle between UTD and Liverpool for 4th place this year.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,868 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Its gonna be a battle between UTD and Liverpool for 4th place this year.

with no european distraction, united should make it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chelsea and city are banker for top 4. Arsenal seem to always pull it out of the bag and finish up there who have also added a fine forward in alexis sanchez. United have made 2 good signings but they still haven't made that wow signing they have been threatening to.

Liverpool have lost their best player but have added alot of depth to there squad so it remains to be seen where they will be.

United and liverpool battling it out for 4th would be a good assessment of the current squads.

But Liverpool showed last season you can go from 7th to within an inch of winning the league.

Huge season ahead for both clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Other than the fact it's an anomaly for it not to be United's year so going by you know, the last 21 seasons there's been 1 failure to qualify for the CL. How is expecting a return to normality being unduly confident?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I don't want to be alarmist, but I'm pretty certain that this game defines each club for the next decade or so. Wouldn't surprise me if United's share price plummeted to an irreversible state in the medium term if they lose. If Liverpool lose, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Platini may offer United their position in the CL this season and all the Suarez money would go on covering their losses for the next few years.

Huge game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

rob316 wrote: »
    Chelsea and city are banker for top 4. Arsenal seem to always pull it out of the bag and finish up there who have also added a fine forward in alexis sanchez. United have made 2 good signings but they still haven't made that wow signing they have been threatening to.

Liverpool have lost their best player but have added alot of depth to there squad so it remains to be seen where they will be.

United and liverpool battling it out for 4th would be a good assessment of the current squads.

But Liverpool showed last season you can go from 7th to within an inch of winning the league.

Huge season ahead for both clubs.

Cant understand why Chelsea are a banker for a top 2? I don't believe Costa is going to make the impact they believe he will.

Certainly to be in the top 4 but I don't think, outside maybe City, you can say any team are nailed on for a top 2 spot. Too many variables, Liverpool could continue as they were last year, Utd could catch fire and storm the league with a new manager bounce, none of it is guaranteeed but it's a fool who'd stick their house on any team really for a top 2.

Every team in there could struggle, possibly bar City, with an injury to the wrong player and any of those teams could have a tricky month or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Liam O wrote: »
    Other than the fact it's an anomaly for it not to be United's year so going by you know, the last 21 seasons there's been 1 failure to qualify for the CL. How is expecting a return to normality being unduly confident?

I suppose anomalies and normality are in the eye of the beholder. What if you instead decide equally arbitrarily to go by the last 41 years? Last 61? Last 81? What's normal then? What's so special about 21? We could have used a man of your incredible longterm thinking in the Government during the Celtic Tiger! Oh wait...

Milkers wrote: »
    I suppose anomalies and normality are in the eye of the beholder. What if you instead decide equally arbitrarily to go by the last 41 years? Last 61? Last 81? What's normal then? What's so special about 21? We could have used a man of your incredible longterm thinking in the Government during the Celtic Tiger! Oh wait...

Er, the Champions League has only been going for 21 years?

Previous to that you had to win the league to qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

What a terrible post. Can't even begin to try and get something out of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I suppose anomalies and normality are in the eye of the beholder.

Except they're not.

Also, you should read up on anomalies and trends and how they're identified if you're interested in that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Bias aside Liverpool are a decent price at 9/4

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Bias aside Liverpool are a decent price at 9/4

That is a really good price but betting on friendlies is not my thing. Too many variables

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Er, the Champions League has only been going for 21 years?

Previous to that you had to win the league to qualify.

Even the first few years was Champions only IIRC.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I'd forgotten how painful Liverpool v Utd match threads are. Thanks for reminding me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

I'd forgotten how painful Liverpool v Utd match threads are. Thanks for reminding me.

I actually think its been pretty tame....so far

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Alonso77 wrote: »
    I actually think its been pretty tame....so far

It will only take one post to throw it into disorder :p

I think most people will try to control themselves, no point getting a ban so close to the league starting over something like this match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Just some quick stats of both managers involved in the game.

BuNMaNHIYAENzIb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Phoenix wrote: »
    You're also forgetting the drogba factor not to mention the difference fab and magic make too we are a good shout for at least second
    The Drogba factor being 5 goals in 24 games as Chelsea limp to 6th (his last season)?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Just some quick stats of both managers involved in the game.

BuNMaNHIYAENzIb.jpg

Those Sky graphics are normally pretty terrible. They omit very important information - for example, the fact that Louis Van Gaal's first two jobs were Ajax and Barcelona, while Rodgers' were Watford and Reading. Fairly big difference there...

Those Sky graphics are normally pretty terrible. They omit very important information - for example, the fact that Louis Van Gaal's first two jobs were Ajax and Barcelona, while Rodgers' were Watford and Reading. Fairly big difference there...

While i agree with your sentiments i think most who are looking at the graphic would know the clubs both have managed.
    I would imagine sky are just outlining how much more experienced and successful Van Gaal is with those facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Rodgers win rate at Liverpool is 55.67% and thats the only stat that counts to a Pool fan.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Rodgers win rate at Liverpool is 55.67% and thats the only stat that counts to a Pool fan.

Yes i agree they should have the win rate in their current club rather than throughout their careers, 100% would look far better besides Van Gaals name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Yes i agree they should have the win rate in their current club rather than throughout their careers, 100% would look far better besides Van Gaals name.

100% in meaningless games too . Sounds good to me .

100% in meaningless games too . Sounds good to me .

Winning is better than losing, even in practice matches don't you agree?
    Sounds very good, hopefully its bodes well for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Fairly pointless graphic that which adds nothing to the thread really

klose wrote: »
    Fairly pointless graphic that which adds nothing to the thread really

Adds a lot more than some peoples posts in here thus far imo.
    Gives a bit of background on the career of both managers which some people might find interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Adds a lot more than some peoples posts in here thus far imo.
    Gives a bit of background on the career of both managers which some people might find interesting.

Might aswell compare mata and suso while your at if you are going to compare people at different stages of their career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

While i agree with your sentiments i think most who are looking at the graphic would know the clubs both have managed.
    I would imagine sky are just outlining how much more experienced and successful Van Gaal is with those facts.

And Rodgers has 500 games to go to call it in anyway a fair comparison.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Rodgers and Van Gaal should both bow down to Neil Lennon...........:rolleyes:

Will be giving this internet c*ck waving debacle a miss tonight, work in the mornin.

Van Persie is better than Origi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Van Persie is better than Origi

https://vine.co/v/MEnqQZwiA2t

Rodgers' win-rate is actually pretty decent considering who he has managed. And his 55% for Liverpool is pretty impressive also, imo. That squad is playing greater than the sum of its parts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement