Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Manchester United - The Prestigious International Champions Cup Final 20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Rodgers' win-rate is actually pretty decent considering who he has managed. And his 55% for Liverpool is pretty impressive also, imo. That squad is playing greater than the sum of its parts.

It is a good record, i think he is a class manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just some quick stats of both managers involved in the game.

BuNMaNHIYAENzIb.jpg

Another pointless Stat.

Louis van Gaal is 62 and a manager for 26 years.

Brendan Rodgers is 41 and a manager for 6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

We didn't need the stat to tell us that LVG is the better manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

RasTa wrote: »

rolleyes.GIF

My manager is better than your manager!

He'd want to be a better manager seeing as he's a few years from pension age having managed some of the biggest clubs in the world. What a bizarre comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

RasTa wrote: »

Maybe right now with his experience Van Gaal could be regarded as the better manager, however when he took over at Ajax when he was in his late 30's it took him his 3rd(i think)season to win the league with Ajax at the similar age as what Rodgers is now who has just lead Liverpool to second.
    While im happy with Van Gaal i am a bit envious of Liverpool having such a good young manager who i would like to think will stay with them for the long haul/

2-1 United though:)

Maybe right now with his experience Van Gaal could be regarded as the better manager, however when he took over at Ajax when he was in his late 30's it took him his 3rd(i think)season to win the league with Ajax at the similar age as what Rodgers is now who has just lead Liverpool to second.
    While im happy with Van Gaal i am a bit envious of Liverpool having such a good young manager who i would like to think will stay with them for the long haul/

2-1 United though:)

Your unbiased post doesn't belong in here!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Reckon Rodgers would definitely take LVG in a fight.

That's all this is coming down to, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

van Gaal's unbeaten season with Ajax is one of the best achievements by any manager ever. Nobody else will have an invincible season like it, I can't see it being repeated (Though Arsenal fans will try and claim they were invincible!)

He's been a terrific manager for a long time now and I think he'll do well with United.

• Advertisement

So, should we all just post pics of our cocks now and be done with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

stankratz wrote: »
    So, should we all just post pics of our cocks now and be done with it?

rooster-big11.jpg

His name is Gary. He loves cornflakes and animated movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

BuNMaNHIYAENzIb.jpg

I'm more interested in who Birmingham are drawn against in the cricket ball than these stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

BuNMaNHIYAENzIb.jpg

Ah biggest comparison there is who wore the tie better.

Have to say as a United fan it kills me to say Rodgers pulled it off better.

1-0 Rodgers at the moment ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Cjs21 wrote: »
    I'm more interested in who Birmingham are drawn against in the cricket ball than these stats.

Surrey.

There we go, most useful post of this thread so far :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Surrey.

There we go, most useful post of this thread so far :pac:

Great. Now that I know what I came here to find out I'll be off.

Enjoy the Pre Season match where we get to see how our squad players are playing and see how we cope we Lambert up front.

See you lot properly on December 13th ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

8-10 wrote: »
    van Gaal's unbeaten season with Ajax is one of the best achievements by any manager ever...

It's even more incredible when you look at the dross he had to work with:

Edwin van der Sar
    Danny Blind
    Winston Bogarde
    Frank de Boer
    Michael Reiziger
    Ronald de Boer
    Edgar Davids
    Marc Overmars
    Frank Rijkaard
    Clarence Seedorf
    Patrick Kluivert
    Jari Litmanen
    Nwankwo Kanu

Not losing a game in the Dutch league with that squad really isn't that noteworthy IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

sabat wrote: »

Edwin van der Sar
    Danny Blind
    Winston Bogarde
    Frank de Boer
    Michael Reiziger
    Ronald de Boer
    Edgar Davids
    Marc Overmars
    Frank Rijkaard
    Clarence Seedorf
    Patrick Kluivert
    Jari Litmanen
    Nwankwo Kanu

Not losing a game in the Dutch league with that squad really isn't that noteworthy IMO.

That is some squad !

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

cjmc wrote: »
    That is some squad !

Didn't he also take over Barcelona after Bobby Robsons treble? I'm quite skeptical on him at he moment and I'll be interested to see how he performs.

Edwin van der Sar
    Danny Blind
    Winston Bogarde
    Frank de Boer
    Michael Reiziger
    Ronald de Boer
    Edgar Davids
    Marc Overmars
    Frank Rijkaard
    Clarence Seedorf
    Patrick Kluivert
    Jari Litmanen
    Nwankwo Kanu

Didn't lose a game in the Champions League either that year. Who else has done that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

NoelJ wrote: »
    Didn't he also take over Barcelona after Bobby Robsons treble? I'm quite skeptical on him at he moment and I'll be interested to see how he performs.

Based on what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Based on what exactly?

Fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Im surprised Van Gaal has only had 5 clubs, thought it was a lot more than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's based on hope actually. In the same way that some United fans "think" that Liverpool will plummet back down the league without Suarez, some Liverpool fans think van Gaal will flop.
    People tend to confuse what they hope will happen with what they think will happen.

Obviously both are possibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Edwin van der Sar
    Danny Blind
    Winston Bogarde
    Frank de Boer
    Michael Reiziger
    Ronald de Boer
    Edgar Davids
    Marc Overmars
    Frank Rijkaard
    Clarence Seedorf
    Patrick Kluivert
    Jari Litmanen
    Nwankwo Kanu

Well it must have happened a lot of other times then since?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Jesus, look at that team. The man is a legend maker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Jesus, look at that team. The man is a legend maker

Not to take away from LVGs achievement but even David Moyes would have won the Eredivisie with that squad and given a good go at the champions league too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Not to take away from LVGs achievement but even David Moyes would have won the Eredivisie with that squad and given a good go at the champions league too.

Don't be so sure, this is Moyes you're on about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lol

This is brilliant lads keep it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Who do you think blooded these players and molded them into the players they became?

• Advertisement

I take your point, but how many of these guys owe their success to him? I know he started Seedorf as a 16 yr old, said he thought he showed more maturity than most players twice his age. The fact is, he knows talent and has the medals to back it up (and if the rumors in Munich are anything to go by he thinks he has the balls too lol)

Lol

This is brilliant lads keep it up

I have no doubt LVG will have United back in the top 4 within 2 season, no question in my mind whatsoever. When all my United supporting friends were harping on about Klopp, I told them LVG would be the perfect man for the job.

So if you think I have any intention of slating him, you are very very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

THIS GAME DECIDES THE SEASON !

WINNER TAKES ALL

*May not be factual

Would like to see Rickaaaay score the winner tonight.

Try looking up the Milan squad that got beaten in the final by a team from the Dutch league.

Try looking up the Milan squad that got beaten in the final by a team from the Dutch league.

I'm old enough to remember the match, I don't need to look it up.

Was just looking there, they actually beat Milan both times in the group stages. Beaten 3 times in one competition, that sucks

I'm old enough to remember the match, I don't need to look it up.

Then you remember what an achievement it was, personally I thought it was incredible. 4th European Cup for the club too.

The only game lost that season was in the Dutch Cup, and that was after extra time. Unbeaten in 90mins in an entire season in the league and in the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Had to play them twice in the group stages as well

Then you remember what an achievement it was, personally I thought it was incredible. 4th European Cup for the club too.

The only game lost that season was in the Dutch Cup, and that was after extra time. Unbeaten in 90mins in an entire season in the league and in the Champions League.

With the strongest team I can ever remember being put together in Holland. Like I said, I have no intention of taking away from his achievements with Ajax but with the players at his disposal, it wasn't THAT MUCH of a shock at the time.

• Advertisement

The average age of the team was 22, almost all of them were way off their peak

ceegee wrote: »
    Had to play them twice in the group stages as well

Was really a great era for watching football. Ajax were awesome and Serie A was a top league. Premiership-era just getting going too.

In any case I'll stop my off-topic rant in defence of LVG's Ajax record, it's preposterous to play it down. A lot of those players wouldn't be the household names they are now without that season but there you go.

And all of this still means I don't care about tonight's game other that I want to see how new signings play and hope we stay injury-clear!

I have no intention of taking away from his achievements with Ajax

That's all I was defending. ;)

The average age of the team was 22, almost all of them were way off their peak

Sure United winning the league in 96 was nothing too. Sure didn't they have Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Neville and Butt. How could they not win it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Who put the Ajax team together for LVG that gave him his tap in undefeated season does anyone know?

Why is a season from 19 years ago being discussed in such detail?

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Why is a season from 19 years ago being discussed in such detail?

Because a Liverpool fan said it was one of the greatest achievements in football.

Sure United winning the league in 96 was nothing too. Sure didn't they have Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Neville and Butt. How could they not win it?

In fairness I saw Atletico winning the league last season a few years ago, I mean how could you not with the likes of Koke, Turan and Costa coming to fruition

Simeone didn't do a good job really, and that's not taking away from his achievements

Jesus Christ, what an unbelievable bunch in here. Embarrassing.

Because a Liverpool fan said it was one of the greatest achievements in football.

I didn't mean that in an anti-united way, it's a totally fair statement (it was an absolutely great achievement), it just seems weird that thats the tangent the thread took. I mean, he just got to the semi final of the world cup, just seems odd to have a few pages of discussion over a season from so long ago.

Looking forward to this anyway, kicks off at the perfect time for me here too. Will down tools at 5, and watch the stream till work officially ends about 6:30/6:45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Everyone is trying to out child each other. It's good craic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement