Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent supplement and dublin 15

Options
  • 02-08-2014 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi
    I am selling my house in dublin 15. The tenants have rent supplement and it seems will have difficulty obtaining a similar house in the area. On rent.ie i couldnt find any houses that accepted rent supplement.English isn't their first language so that also adds to difficulty. I don't want to evict them onto the street. How difficult would it be to access local authority housing? Where should i direct them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

mumof3d3 wrote: »
    hi
    I am selling my house in dublin 15. The tenants have rent supplement and it seems will have difficulty obtaining a similar house in the area. On rent.ie i couldnt find any houses that accepted rent supplement.English isn't their first language so that also adds to difficulty. I don't want to evict them onto the street. How difficult would it be to access local authority housing? Where should i direct them?

The CWO has passed his problem on to you.
    Just send them to the CWO. Its nothing to do with you anymore.

And until welfare actually rent out the property and deal with their tenants themselves, most landlords will never deal with welfare again. All they are doing is paying them below market rent and then passing on their problems to the landlords, without any responsibility whatsoever for who they put in the LLs property.

They way this should work is that welfare rent the house for x number of years. Then they deal with EVERYTHING in the house. And when the contract is up, give it back in the same condition they got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

hi
    You won't have any other choice I'm afraid. They won't be deemed homeless until they are actually homeless and only then will the gears start to grind into action. They'll probably be put into emergency accommodation initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How difficult would it be to access local authority housing? Where should i direct them?

For housing, there will be a very long waiting list. Tell them to apply to the housing department of your local council.

There's a chance that the CWO will approve a higher payment than the stated amount - tell them to go and ask anway.

If that fails, then your only real way is to evict them. Or help them to find a job, so that they can afford to pay private sector rental without needing supplement. Or convince them to move to a part of the country where rents are cheaper (shure'n I hear Leitrim is a lovely place to live!)

If I was you I would also contact my TD and complain bitterly, because the whole situation it puts you in a very difficult situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Sad thing is the more you get involved the more bitter they will become with you as they will see you as the aggresser. Just an opinion. Best direct to social office and leave at that.

Advertisement