Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferring second year

Options
  • 03-08-2014 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm 22 and I am thinking about defeating my second year of college at the WIT and I was wondering if that was possible.
    For awhile now a string of just stupid and annoying things have been happening to me in a tight row and after my car malfunctioned today and landed me in hospital from the resulting crash I think it might be a good idea to change something's in my life for the time being.
    Mainly it's that as a student I am almost completely reliant on on state grants and my parents.

Now I don't come from a well-to-do background and we have barely been able to keep head above water in the recent months with things seemingly getting tighter and tighter and this to add onto it now i simply fear is too much, I think I should take the year to get a job or two(not there are many going) and help the output of the household so we can stabilise rather than just feck back off to Waterford in a month and leave my folks holding the short fuse.

Naturally my mam wants me to continue on in college but I need to get accommodation and fees meself etc while in wit and that's all money they can't afford to give me and frankly shouldn't have to.

So to cut an already too long story short I guess what I'm asking is twofold;
    1: I'm looking for advice on how I could defer my second year or if that is even possible?

And

2: Do any of you wise peoples with more life experience than me think I should defer and help out with the bills instead of adding to then or have any advice on what I should do?

Thanks in advance all,

Zeke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

As a mam, I agree with your own. Don't let family finances, or your perception of family finances interfere with your degree, and certainly don't make rash decisions straight after a car accident (I hope you are ok?)

Talk it over with your folks, look for a part time job in Waterford, and make an informed decision having explored all options.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Zekey

Thanks for the insight

You are probably right on most of what you said there I probably am being a bit rash about the whole thing but I just feel like I need to do more ya know.
    Like I know their my parents and all but all I seem to be doing is causing them grief and money and it's not fair as it's hard enough at the moment .
    Guess I just feel guilty about not being able to help enough ya know?
    I mean the only with a job right now is my dad and he is only getting barely more than minimum wage but apparently the state things that's too much for some of the grants we are putting in for(eg. Medical card.) and recently he has shown he has heart problems....my mam can't work cause she was knocked down by a car years ago and she can't barely sit in one place for more than 5 minutes before she is in agony.

I feel this is unfair on them as all I do is go to college and drain off them
    I have tried to get jobs here in cork but nothing
    I'm honestly considering emigration at this point and sending money home

Sorry kinda went on a bit there
    Thanks for your advice, I'll probably say this to my parents but I already know the response my mam will say oh don't worry about it love, just focus on college and my dad will say he is doing fine and am we aren't out yet, we will be ok and don't get any ideas that we are as bad off as people think
    Ah well, least I can do is put it out there that I'll I want to help more

Also I'm medically fine after the crash, a bit bruised and sore her and there but I'm grand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I would listen to your mam lol. The thing is, if you defer and look for a job, you have no guarentee you will get a job, you may end up spending the year on the dole just looking for a job and being rejected over and over, which wont help anyone and you will still be living at home . Also your parents may feel guilty that you fealt you had to leave as you fealt they couldnt provide for you. If you do decide to defer atleast get a job first and then defer, then you know you can definitley help out financially and save to go back the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Zekey

Thanks all

Advertisement