Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free fishing on the moy

Options
  • 03-08-2014 1:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Im only new to mayo but have been told that on the cloongee stretch just as it goes into the bike lake, ive been told its free to fish here just on the lake side of the railway track, can anyone confirm this is true.

Ive also been told by a guy in foxford that just behind the shops/pub, its also free here. Reason beeing, its in private hands this small stretch and the guy who owns it isnt local and lets people fish it just as long as you have a state license. How true this is, i dont know. If not, another person suggested that if im from the area, im aloud to fish behind the shops for free and if i want to fish the whole foxford stretch and live in a 10mile radius from it, i can fish for 100 euro a year.

Can someone please clear these up for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

That stretch near Cloongee is free to fish, between the railway track and the lake.

Better double check on the Foxford stretch.

You can fish on the community beat in Ballina without a permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Always believed that the free stretch in foxfords was for foxfords residents only. Although that was the case years ago.
    Ask in the tackle shop foxford or ring them.
    If your from the area you should be able to join foxford salmon anglers or east mayo anglers association, who the latter has an office in swinford.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Always believed that the free stretch in foxfords was for foxfords residents only. Although that was the case years ago.
    Ask in the tackle shop foxford or ring them.
    If your from the area you should be able to join foxford salmon anglers or east mayo anglers association, who the latter has an office in swinford.

East mayo is acon, you've to buy 15-20 day tickets before you can join the club!! They should where a mask when receiving money for memberships!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Really the moy isn't the best choice IMHO I'd try the cong(some parts are free), The moy is getting netted, I went to buy a ticket to Emaa waters while back into Tiernans tackle shop, They didn't tell me where to go, and didn't be helpful what so ever.. I Don't think i'l ever go back to the moy for awhile There's lots of good rivers in mayo but they aren't free.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

duckcfc wrote: »
    East mayo is acon, you've to buy 15-20 day tickets before you can join the club!! They should where a mask when receiving money for memberships!

Not sure about a con! €100 for 8 miles of what many think is the best salmon river in Ireland.
    The club has three employees who have to be paid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

duckcfc wrote: »

That's a bit unfair. The daily tickets are good value. The waters are good. They are well managed. These things don't come cheap and you should see the charges and membership costs elsewhere.

That's a bit of fair. The daily tickets are good value. The waters are good. They are well managed. These things don't come cheap and you should see the charges and membership costs elsewhere.

Fair my arse! That's 700 for day tickets then 150 to join!! If that's fair I hate to see what getting robbed is

Really the moy isn't the best choice IMHO I'd try the cong(some parts are free), The moy is getting netted, I went to buy a ticket to Emaa waters while back into Tiernans tackle shop, They didn't tell me where to go, and didn't be helpful what so ever.. I Don't think i'l ever go back to the moy for awhile There's lots of good rivers in mayo but they aren't free.

good luck

The moy getting netted lol. The moy is the most patrolled river in Ireland, no one in their right mind would net it. Even at night I've heard the bailiffs are out on boats with night vision looking for poachers.

That's true, If you fished the moy you'd see fish with marks of nets, The netters go into places where the moy is harder to get into, Also It's being way over fished(Most of the anglers dont do C&R on hen fish or any fish)

That's true, If you fished the moy you'd see fish with marks of nets, The netters go into places where the moy is harder to get into, Also It's being way over fished(Most of the anglers dont do C&R on hen fish or any fish)

Would the net marks not be from over in Greenland or out in sea?

• Advertisement

I dont know, but the main thing is anglers are killing 99% of salmon they catch, There's angler coming around the world to fish the moy and big groups of them and they kill most of there fish, I've never caught a salmon before (trying to catch one on the fly) but if you look up in Facebook and go on to tiernans tackle shop page you'll see that there kill a lot of fish being killed!

thanks.

I dont know, but the main thing is anglers are killing 99% of salmon they catch, There's angler coming around the world to fish the moy and big groups of them and they kill most of there fish, I've never caught a salmon before (trying to catch one on the fly) but if you look up in Facebook and go on to tiernans tackle shop page you'll see that there kill a lot of fish being killed!

thanks.

Have seen them pics, some nice fish but if I paid money on that river all week, I'd expect to take a salmon or 2 home!! Fcuk eating that farm fed ****e! I would only eat fresh salmon from the river and like I said before, if I spend a lot of money fishing, then I expect to take home some salmon. I know that river isn't producing like it did 50-100 years ago but that's down to the government and IMO its up to them to put millions into regenerating them rivers with salmon. Not ban fishermen from taking home fish

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Troll but I'll bite.....

What would you do if your river was catch and release only, like it is for a lot of anglers? Would you still expect to take a fish or two home, because you spent money fishing it?

The government should spend millions in your opinion to stock rivers !!!!! Seriously??

C&R is being introduced by the government to make sure there are more fish in the rivers. Like it or not there are less fish running nowadays so we as anglers have to do our bit too and if this means putting them back then so be it, until stocks improve.

True Breghall, I've never caught a salmon before, And keep the first 3 ill keep And release all the rest and Stale or kelts fish, You cant Just stock salmon into a river, it's not like trout stocking, The only way the could do that is have a hatchery near the river with small parr and release them but There's all sorts of Fish eaters ( Storks, Minks, otters) So Alot of parr would be killed, And me 16 years old i've spent 2000+++ plus into fishing!

breghall wrote: »
    Troll but I'll bite.....

What would you do if your river was catch and release only, like it is for a lot of anglers? Would you still expect to take a fish or two home, because you spent money fishing it?

The government should spend millions in your opinion to stock rivers !!!!! Seriously??

C&R is being introduced by the government to make sure there are more fish in the rivers. Like it or not there are less fish running nowadays so we as anglers have to do our bit too and if this means putting them back then so be it, until stocks improve.

Yes stock the rivers, it can be done sure why not. As for me taking fish home, like I said before, I expect to take one with me. I work hard for my money and when I spend it, I expect my monies worth. You will never find all fishermen wanting to put fish back, its just the way it is. You have people like you, and you have people like me in this world with all different opinions and sure we even have people that says its wrong to even fish at all because of the harm it can cause the fish getting caught. So like it or lump it, I'll be taking fish home every time I fish till the day I die;)

If you catch Them, Have you ever caught one before, What do you use worms?

If you catch Them, Have you ever caught one before, What do you use worms?

Worms, sure worms are banned and yes I've caught them before. Love salmon but would only eat the fresh salmon from the river

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tanker1

Pontoon free. Town stretch locals only.

Advertisement