Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan McGee Creation Stories

Options
  • 03-08-2014 2:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

I've just finished reading Alan McGee's creation stories.

He went into detail on how the records were recorded: Bands in rooms recording all instruments at once, not individually.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Is there much material about My Bloody Valentine in it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

splitrmx wrote: »

Probably everything you already know.

Kevin Shields running up a massive bill recording noise in different studios. Though McGee said they sounded completely different before they started recording - more straight up chug chug guitars.

The more interesting stuff were recording sessions that didn't work for Creation bands. Usually where the producer would insist on recording instruments separately and dry. The technique might work well for high sheen 80s pop acts, but not for rock bands. Over the weekend I listened to few records from the period; individual drum sounds might be awful, but the overall effect would be really great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

splitrmx wrote: »

Now I've thought of it. There isn't a single mention of Alan Moulder throughout the whole book. But Anajali Dutt does get a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Good interview with Alan Moulder on the recording of Loveless here: http://www.polymathperspective.com/?p=2997

Advertisement