Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fisherman's Cove, Dunmore East?

• 03-08-2014 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I am thinking of buying a house in Fisherman's Grove, Dunmore East. The houses are lovely, but I heard there were a lot of problems with people drinking in the woods, and also the noise from people using scrambler bikes in the woods - is this true? Would it be better for us to buy a smaller, and possibly more expensive house in the village? My kids are 13 and 12. We will be using it as an holiday home initially, and then for retirement. We holiday in Dunmore every year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Wow! If you are investing in a big venture like a house I wouldn't be relying on anonymous posts on a site like this. Only giving an opinion - I'd walk the place, talk to locals, speak to Gardai, rent a place for a week and suss it out. Dunmore is a great spot - all year round; happy hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi! Martin-d - thanks for your reply. Yes, it is a lovely place all year round - I remember walking the pier many nights during my Leaving Cert year almost 30 years ago.

I still love Dunmore East - I don't live in Waterford now - but I'm nervous that the place might have changed a lot since I used to go out their walking daily all those years ago. I'm also aware that a lot of the estates will be half empty in winter, and I might feel nervious if I was down on my own with the kids over the winter. Lots to think about! Fisherman's Grove houses are lovely, but the ones in the Village are so near everything.

Thanks again for your advice - will see if I can talk to some locals and get their opinions on the best place to buy there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

I lived in Fisherman's Grove for over 12 months. The house was in Pine Cove. I never had any problems with people drinking in the woods. The house itself was designed as a holiday home so in winter it was cold as insulation was at a minimum. The heating system was storage heating, again not ideal for winter, but there was an open fire.
    It was great to be able to walk into the village and also the bus to Waterford stops right at the entrance to the estate. The locals are nice, its quiet in the winter, but very busy in summer. Over all a nice place to live.

I moved up to Airfield Point as it was too cold in winter in the other place. The build quality is much better, although its a little bit further from the village center its still close enough, and that area is not as busy in summer as its at the opposite end of the village.

See - http://www.daft.ie/sales/airfield-point-dunmore-east-waterford/964398/

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi! Martin D and Tim. Thanks for your replies. I think we're set on Fisherman's Grove now, and have offered on an house there - waiting to hear back if it's accepted. I contacted Gardai and they said it's fine, but there is some drinking in the woods sometimes, and some noise from people on scramblers in the woods. The house we are interested in doesn't back on to the woods - though I believe the woods are great for walks.

Tim - Fisherman's Grove actually has gas central heating - there is apparently a large gas tank at the entrance to the estate, and each house is metered from there. It was the gas central heating and the large size of the 3 beds that swung it for us - there were some lovely houses nearer to the beech, but they were very small, more expensive and had storage heating.

Re. Airfield - it's really nice up there, but I have always had a liking for the Lower Village/Fisherman's Grove area.

Anyway, hoping we will use it a lot summer and winter - winter would be my preferred time there, but my children would most definitely prefer the summer in Dunmore.

Advertisement