Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oughterard - is it a friendly place?

Options
  • 03-08-2014 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hi! I am thinking of buying an house in Oughterard - all my family are scattered around Galway. I have always liked Oughterard, but some people have said to me that it is very hard to make friends there, especially if you are a blow-in - is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Oughterard community is quite close-knit but I've been there and had no problems meeting people.
    I suggest you spend a few weekends there before taking the plunge on a house. Walk around the area, go to the shops and pubs and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

There was a similar thread a few years ago with a similar question and there were mixed responses.

I live in Oughterard and have done so for almost 10 years now but was a complete blow in from the other side of the country. My family and I love it here, we have a large mixed group friends who've lived here all their lives and other blow-ins like us.

Everyone's experience is different and to be honest I'm not sure its terribly different than any other smaller town/village. Best thing if you do decide to move here is to get stuck in, join sports club or similar activities and see what happens. If you have a mind set that blow ins aren't welcome then chances are you'll find what you are looking for but keep an open mind and you'll probably settle in pretty quickly.

Best of luck either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

It is quite"clique-y" from what Ive heard - but very nice town apart from that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I have heard very mixed reports. One couple I know who would be very "social" left because they found it too cliquey and unwelcoming to blow-ins. They only went down the road to Moycullen and loved it there.

I do like Oughterard as a town and I reckon it has great potential. Some of the run down old hotels and pubs need to be spruced up a bit. Actually it could do with a decent hotel. The Boat Inn is lovely for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Spring Onion - clearly I'm a bit biased but to your point on the hotels etc, the Lake Hotel has re-opened as a B&B and is hiring for bar, restaurant and accommodation staff at the moment with a view to fully re-opening, Powers (the thatched pub) is going through a huge renovation and Murphy's has been sold finally and rumour has it is due to open in the foreseeable future so hopefully this will give the village a lift.

I agree that it could certainly do with it as despite the best efforts of the tidy towns etc the empty premises are a bit of an eye sore!

• Advertisement
Advertisement