Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berlin coffee

• 03-08-2014 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Bagged myself Five Elephant and The Barn Ethiopian coffees and hoping to pick up a bag of Bonanza Coffee before I leave.

Five Elephant's pour-over was really, really nice - very clear, smooth tasting and aromatic as Ethiopian coffees often are, but not overpoweringly so like Coffee Angel can be for some tastes (personally, I love it).

I drank Bonanza's El Injerto auction coffee from Guatamala made with Aeropress today. As the owner of Silo Coffee said to me today, it's standard flavours but they hang around and continue to develop long after the sip.

Anyone have any tips/recommendations for my last couple of days here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Well, my quick update is I made it to Bonanza Coffee in Prenzlauer Berg and had the best espresso I've had in my life. Usually I take it with a little sugar, but there was so little harsh bitterness in it. It was full and deep and perfectly balanced between sweetness and bitterness. Then I also had a filter coffee to compare - another coffee by Bonanza from El Salvador - which was very light with more basic flavours and a very long aftertaste of straw.

Afterwards, I strolled down Schonhauser Allee to fine The Barn and tried a Kenyan coffee. It's an amazing place because the café space is also the coffee roasting space, and I sat right at the back where, on occasion, I was treated to the aromas of coffee mid-roast, a very different experience to the final product. Their Kenyan coffee was incredible, but I'd already bought their Sidamo (liking Ethiopian coffees a lot), but when I explained how I'm so dangerously going over the baggage allowance, the lovely barista gave me four sample bags of the Kenyan I'd just had and some others. But I have to tell you, the flavours in this coffee were amazing. Really, really lovely. I'm not so familiar with Kenyan coffees but have always liked the Kenyan bags I've occasionally bought from Coffee Angel.

Both these places are highly recommended.

My coffee mini-odyssey in Berlin has taught me one thing, though: while small, Dublin, and increasingly Ireland, has a few coffee places operating at world level, and I found myself wondering whether making all this effort to get to these places to bring back some coffees was really worth it when what we have at home is pretty awesome.

Advertisement