Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete dog run floor

Options
  • 03-08-2014 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Lads I've converted a shed I had to house 2 dog runs
    The shed already has a concrete slab with plastic under it for dampness ect
    I'm going to lay another slab ontop of this which has gully and fall for easy cleaning..
    When mixing the mix in the cement mixer is there something I can add to stop the urine soaking into the slab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Lads I've converted a shed I had to house 2 dog runs
    The shed already has a concrete slab with plastic under it for dampness ect
    I'm going to lay another slab ontop of this which has gully and fall for easy cleaning..
    When mixing the mix in the cement mixer is there something I can add to stop the urine soaking into the slab

you can get a sealant that you paint onto the concrete when it dries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

You should have the surface of it like glass, you can buy that paint that is used on the stable floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

i was going to use that but i was afraid with them jumping up and down off the kennels they might get injured as the floor is extremely slippy with that paint.so just take that on board.if you cleaned it twice a day and their is a fall to a gully concrete is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Beretta man

Ya will have 1 1/2" fall over the 8ft
    I used the paint before but I made a balls of it..

to be honest id leave it alone once you wash it out your laughing.i was going to tile it or paint it.but decided on neither.i know you might think it will look neater and give it a finished look but concrete is as good as any and safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Why don't you mix waterproofer through it.....just add to the water that you use to mix the concrete.

Plasterers use it in the first coat of plaster on outside house walls to waterproof the building.

Can be got in any builders suppliers.

https://www.buildershoponline.co.uk/Building-Chemicals/5ltr_Integral_Waterproofer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

On another note. If you put a slab of concrete straight over another on the chances are the top one will crack.

On another note. If you put a slab of concrete straight over another on the chances are the top one will crack.

The second slab will be 4" deep at its lowest point to stop the cracking ..

I'd still for recommend either riding the two together or breaking the bottom one. Not removing it but just breaking it up.

I'd still for recommend either riding the two together or breaking the bottom one. Not removing it but just breaking it up.

yes

• Advertisement

Rented a kango today and after 2hrs got the whole floor broke up
    Thanks for the advice,better be safe then sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭ESB Spaniel

it wouldn't have cracked all that would have been on it would have been dog, dog house and yourself, different if you were parking a car on it which you weren't.

Not unless we get a cold winter like we did last year and a couple of harsh frosty mornings. Then it will crack.

Not unless we get a cold winter like we did last year and a couple of harsh frosty mornings. Then it will crack.

just about to say same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

You must treat the floor of the shed with something as bare concrete will burn the dogs' paws.

iv had/seen dogs on concrete floors for over 20 years and iv never seen any cases of sore paws

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

You must treat the floor of the shed with something as bare concrete will burn the dogs' paws.

Bare concrete doesn't burn dogs paws to much Jeyes fluid does.

There was a fellah posted here before that his dogs had a rash on their paws. He couldn't figure out what it was, the pen was made from hardcore he used to keep the pen clean by soaking it with jeyes fluid and then sprinkling it with lime.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Kells1

Put waterproofer in to concrete mix to stop.urine seeping into concrete

Advertisement