Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick MMA Clubs?

• 03-08-2014 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi,

Could someone give me/point me to a list of MMA clubs in Limerick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

Mod could you move this post to the Limerick city forum please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

There is one up towards Pery Square, don't know much about it though

Thanks, do you know the name by any chance?

How many clubs are in the city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Its Mui tai I think? If your at the Train Station in town, cross the road towards the Off Licence, walk down that road towards Taits Clock, and its on the left corner there by Global Foods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I enquired before about boxing classes on here, but MMA might be a step too far, as far as the training is concerned for a 37 year old!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You've a few options. Waza Kai Ju Jitsu are out in Clondrinagh. They focus on ju jitsu and self-defence, but I think they do occasional MMA classes. Fantastic club.

Limerick BJJ are on O'Connell Street. The instructor there has a great reputation.

I think Shark Bait MMA are the club by Pery Square. I hadn't heard of them before this thread, but there'd be no harm checking them out.

You're never too old to start training. You'll be learning until the day you die! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Pankration in the Eastway Business Park, Ballysimon Rd, Limerick. Ran by Dermot McGrath & Catherine Costigan.

http://www.pankrationkickboxingacademy.com/

Phone: 00353 86 2122933.

I know I shouldn't be, but I'd feel intimidated almost as an auld buck up against young uns. I suppose I should go and find out for myself.

ju jitsu looks interesting. I'll have to look into this!

Don't worry about it, just had down and start training, after a few weeks you'll know everyone and you'll be just focused on the training.

Thanks for the help guys, i'll check them out and see which one suits me best.

• Advertisement

Which one to go for is the next thing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭cletus

Sharkbait MMA is Ger Healy's place. I would highly recommend the training there. Regarding Limerick bjj, Fergal Quinlan is the coach there, and he is excellent as are the higher belts training under him

Is there a huge difference between MMA and ju jitsu? Stupid question I know! I need to do something fast to get me out of an unhealthy rut!

Wouldn't mind something where I could just wear shorts instead of having to buy a uniform etc. I mightn't be in the country for much longer after September so don't want to have to buy a suit/uniform...

Maybe one of the MMA classes would be the best option...

But maybe I am just making excuses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭cletus

Jiu-jitsu is "grappling/wrestling" only, whereas mma includes this, but also has striking (punching, kicking etc)

MMA it is then. I must give them a call to see...

Advertisement