Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse & Carriage rides in Limerick City

• 03-08-2014 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I thought it was cheesy, but not necessarily animal abuse, when I saw the little horse & carriage rides over the last few weeks.

But now there is a wagon that seats at least 8 people plus the driver, being pulled by one horse.

Is that normal here? Is it too much work for the horse?

This would not have been okay where I grew up, but I don't know whether the view is different here, and whether to call someone with some authority or just keep my nose out of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I was not aware of any commercial horse and cart ' rides' offered in Limerick. Horse and sulky (buggy) are still in use for transport by groups in Irish society. Unfortunatly it is not uncommon for individuals to have horses that are much too young/small/obviously mistreated pulling such carts and sulkeys.

Needless to say there are many others using horses of an appropriate age and look after them very well.

Buckeye wrote: »
    I thought it was cheesy, but not necessarily animal abuse, when I saw the little horse & carriage rides over the last few weeks.

But now there is a wagon that seats at least 8 people plus the driver, being pulled by one horse.

Is that normal here? Is it too much work for the horse?

This would not have been okay where I grew up, but I don't know whether the view is different here, and whether to call someone with some authority or just keep my nose out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

wingnut wrote: »
    I was not aware of any commercial horse and cart ' rides' offered in Limerick. Horse and sulky (buggy) are still in use for transport by groups in Irish society. Unfortunatly it is not uncommon for individuals to have horses that are much too young/small/obviously mistreated pulling such carts and sulkeys.

Needless to say there are many others using horses of an appropriate age and look after them very well.

These are definitely tourist rides. It's a regular route that hits the quays and has been running for several weeks (that I've noticed).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Oh ok haven't seen any of these yet. Do they wear the horse nappies like Killarney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I have not seen this but i really hope it does not become a regular thing in the city. Its not suitable aroud the city and i wonder who monitors the welfare of the horse.

Advertisement