Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feral cats

• 03-08-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I've got a problem with feral cats round my house, I have 2 toms who are completely wild. They've given me plenty of sleepless nights caused by their fighting and I have'nt been able to have any windows open all summer or they're in the house.... been woken during the night several times with one climbing in my open bedroom window even though its on the 2nd floor.. so basically they are making my life a misery...

I've left several messages for the local ispca lady who has'nt returned any calls, I've heard that she can provide a cage to catch them in, I would bring them to the vet and have them fixed and release them......or even bring them to an animal shelter.....

One of my neighbours wants to shoot them but I really want to try to catch them so I've asked him to let me try..... but I need a cage or some contraption to catch them in, I've heard about traps for magpies and wonder would this work....

Anybody got any suggestions ???? I'm in Louth and would really appreciate any help or my neighbour will be going hunting .....

Mods feel free to move if you think this is the wrong forum....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Let thy neighbour sort it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

MidlandsM wrote: »

I'll sort you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Water pistol. ..keep soaking them....They will leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I've got a problem with feral cats round my house, I have 2 toms who are completely wild. They've given me plenty of sleepless nights caused by their fighting and I have'nt been able to have any windows open all summer or they're in the house.... been woken during the night several times with one climbing in my open bedroom window even though its on the 2nd floor.. so basically they are making my life a misery...

I've left several messages for the local ispca lady who has'nt returned any calls, I've heard that she can provide a cage to catch them in, I would bring them to the vet and have them fixed and release them......or even bring them to an animal shelter.....

One of my neighbours wants to shoot them but I really want to try to catch them so I've asked him to let me try..... but I need a cage or some contraption to catch them in, I've heard about traps for magpies and wonder would this work....

Anybody got any suggestions ???? I'm in Louth and would really appreciate any help or my neighbour will be going hunting .....

Mods feel free to move if you think this is the wrong forum....

Dont let the scumbag neighbour shoot them, if the ISPCA wont get back to you there and many other Cat groups that could help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

I was hoping to avoid bloodshed

• Advertisement

Dont let the scumbag neighbour shoot them, if the ISPCA wont get back to you there and many other Cat groups that could help you out.
    Oh rite I did'nt know that, I'll have a look online... thanks..

Thomas D wrote: »
    I'll sort you.

No thanks. Im not into any of that gay stuff.

But seriously op, you have a neighbour to easily sort it, id let him at it and it will be sorted pronto. And your neighbours not a scumbag for offering. I think more of us need good neighbours like that. Willing to help, pragmatic etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

You have to wonder who will rehome a mature tom cat. Then you can debate as to whether a clean kill now is better than the vets needle in 6 months time. Regardless of my views on the subject I wouldn't label anyone a scumbag.

You have to wonder who will rehome a mature tom cat. Then you can debate as to whether a clean kill now is better than the vets needle in 6 months time. Regardless of my views on the subject I wouldn't label anyone a scumbag.

We do and so does my sister, they can be tamed especially when nutured, but if the redneck hick option is the only way then so be it.

I appreciate everyones view here but my main question is would a magpie trap work to catch a cat ??? Maybe I'll try in the hunting forum......

• Advertisement

No thanks. Im not into any of that gay stuff.

But seriously op, you have a neighbour to easily sort it, id let him at it and it will be sorted pronto. And your neighbours not a scumbag for offering. I think more of us need good neighbours like that. Willing to help, pragmatic etc

Midlands knacker that you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Hi!

Firstly, please don't hurt the kitties!

I was in your situation last year sort of. I have a male neutered cat and he was always getting attacked and bullied by a stray tomcat. I'm in kildare and had no luck getting a trap from any animal shelters around here. But I asked around the vets in the area and one had a trap that they loaned to me provided I got the cat neutered with them.

6 months later he's like a different cat. Quite tame and he no longer bothers my pet. I'm very pleased.

I don't know if it would stop them coming into your house though. You can get in touch with feral cats Ireland, they have a Facebook page where they help put people in contact with others who can help them trap cats.

Good luck!

Midlands knacker that you are.

How clever of you....is that the best you can muster?

Reported

judgefudge wrote: »
    Hi!

Firstly, please don't hurt the kitties!

I was in your situation last year sort of. I have a male neutered cat and he was always getting attacked and bullied by a stray tomcat. I'm in kildare and had no luck getting a trap from any animal shelters around here. But I asked around the vets in the area and one had a trap that they loaned to me provided I got the cat neutered with them.

6 months later he's like a different cat. Quite tame and he no longer bothers my pet. I'm very pleased.

I don't know if it would stop them coming into your house though. You can get in touch with feral cats Ireland, they have a Facebook page where they help put people in contact with others who can help them trap cats.

Good luck!

Luckily the male I have is a total alpha and has the feral boys afraid of him, but I totally agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Regardless of my views on the subject I wouldn't label anyone a scumbag.
    Even somebody who'd discharge a firearm in a residential area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Luckily the male I have is a total alpha and has the feral boys afraid of him, but I totally agree with you.

I wish I could say the same for mine. He's a rescue cat but I swear he's terrified of a gust of wind!

endacl wrote: »

In the greater good to be fair....

In the greater good to be fair....

If I put one in your skull? Agreed.

If I put one in your skull? Agreed.

Agreed that its you that is a nasty name calling piece of work, yeah. All hardman here, but a pussy behind it all (excuse the pun)

Agreed that its you that is a nasty name calling piece of work, yeah. All hardman here, but a pussy behind it all (excuse the pun)

Give me your address and see how much of a pussy I am. I take no messing when it comes to animal cruelty.

• Advertisement

Give me your address and see how much of a pussy I am. I take no messing when it comes to animal cruelty.

Ohhhhhhh, more threats.... youare indeed a nasty piece of work. Showing your real colours now.

But its laughable.....lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Bwahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

Bwahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

Lol lol....so naff and laughable......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

ask in your local vets. they'd have something suitable to help.

ignore that weirdo neighbour. god what a way to behave towards any animal. seriously out of his head.

ask in your local vets. they'd have something suitable to help.

ignore that weirdo neighbour. god what a way to behave towards any animal. seriously out of his head.

Op,you will be glad out your neighbour yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

endacl wrote: »

There's no saying it's a residential area. It could be a farmyard. This thread has lost all direction and is breaking all sorts of charters. I'm unfollowing it now.

Getting a bit rowdy here now so I'll say Thanks all for the advice, I will contact local vets and feral cats on facebook....Cheers

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

And I take no messing when it comes to people acting the dick. You've already been warned about how you post on this site but it seems that you didn't think that I was serious. Please find another site to post on, you're no longer welcome here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

MidlandsM, do not post in this thread again. All talk and back-seat modding... It's not on.
    Why can't people behave themselves in feral cat threads? Next ignorant, threatening or downright attention-seeking replies in this thread will earn the poster an immediate ban.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If you can get anywhere near the cats you could potentially use a normal dog crate for trapping them. Put down food a few days in a row in the crate and hang around so they get used to you being a few feet away while they eat.

Then you can attach a string to the door, thread through the side of the crate so when one goes in you can pull the string, closing the door. Keep the string tight as you approach an mind your fingers when locking it.

A trap would be much much easier but I've trapped come in the way before. It might work if you can't et a trap anywhere.

Advertisement