Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the PS3 run PS2 games?

Options
  • 03-08-2014 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me whether the PS3 system I have will be able to run some old PS2 games. I've been doing a bit of searching on the internet but most of the answers on this subject seem to be for people with NTSC systems.

We've got a PS3 I purchased around 2009/2010 (can't remember the exact date). It's a fairly big system with a rounded top and two USB ports on the front-left side (when facing it from the front). I'm not sure what "GB" it is, but if someone knows how to check this I could probably post it here. Don't know what else to say description-wise, other than that it's a PAL system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

That's a no afaik. You need the original with 4 ports at the front. And even then you need to check the list of compatible games online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 MvN

That's a no afaik. You need the original with 4 ports at the front. And even then you need to check the list of compatible games online

Ok, thanks. Do you know where I could find a copy of this list for PAL systems? I saw one on Wikipedia but I'm not sure if it's complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Might be easier to pick up a 2nd hand PS2 from most stores. I got one over a year ago from gamestop for 50Euro with one controller and memory card.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Taltos wrote: »
    Might be easier to pick up a 2nd hand PS2 from most stores. I got one over a year ago from gamestop for 50Euro with one controller and memory card.

Yep, you'll probably get one even cheaper on adverts.

The slim model had a fairly tiny footprint too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Google is magic you know. 2nd link when you search for ps2 games on a ps3 has all the info......

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/232/~/play-playstation%2Fplaystation-2-games-on-playstation-3-system

• Advertisement

Google is magic you know. 2nd link when you search for ps2 games on a ps3 has all the info......

Thanks for the tip. I found this link already but, because of the ".us" in the URL I thought it might be only relevant for NTSC systems. I don't know much about how these systems work, so I thought maybe there might be a difference between PAL and NTSC.

Thanks anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a big difference between PAL and NTSC. NTSC is hardware emulation so most games work perfect. PAL system use software emulation so the list of compatible games is much smaller and all have issues ranging from minor to unplayable bad.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's a big difference between PAL and NTSC. NTSC is hardware emulation so most games work perfect. PAL system use software emulation so the list of compatible games is much smaller and all have issues ranging from minor to unplayable bad.

Thanks very much. I didn't know that. I guess I should keep looking to find a list that states it's specifically for PAL games.

Thanks again.

Advertisement