Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber on steel gates

Options
  • 03-08-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Well folks,
    I plan to make steel gates with timber bolted on. They will be front driveway gates, so need to look good.
    I can make the steel gates no prob, but I do not have a clue about timber.
    What timber do you recommend? something that looks good but does not cost a fortune.
    What sizes / thickness would you recommend?
    Where should I go to get it?
    Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Depends on your equipment, the design of the gate and your budget. Most people would choose Iroko finished at 30 - 40 mm but that means buying 50mm and machining it down. Native ( not American ) oak is another possibility. If you are going to buy rough Iroko bring a block plane with you to see the grain - you want nice straight grain with no grain exiting the side of the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Situation

Ill be making a set of gates myself theres an alternative but I dont known the price there plastic t+g talitech is the company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Situation wrote: »
    Ill be making a set of gates myself theres an alternative but I dont known the price there plastic t+g talitech is the company
    Make sure you get a colour gaurantee, the plastic wood is desperate for fading and bleaching and can become brittle over years. it just looks cheap gone wrong when it fades and most wont take a painting either.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭slattsteen

manus30 wrote: »
    Well folks,
    I plan to make steel gates with timber bolted on. They will be front driveway gates, so need to look good.
    I can make the steel gates no prob, but I do not have a clue about timber.
    What timber do you recommend? something that looks good but does not cost a fortune.
    What sizes / thickness would you recommend?
    Where should I go to get it?
    Many thanks in advance.

douglas fir would work, one inch is plenty thick enough, make sure end grain is stained before its assembled, would look great,and last years and years if stained every couple of years with sickens/sadolins stain

Advertisement