Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to look for?

Options
  • 03-08-2014 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

I am on the look out for a PC for around €80-100. I already have a monitor, keyboard etc. I will be using for the usual surfing, email etc & viewing video streams.

Is there anything particular that I should be looking out for? I would prefer to trade a lower spec for a newer machine.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Discodog wrote: »
    I am on the look out for a PC for around €80-100.
    Discodog wrote: »
    Is there anything particular that I should be looking out for?
    A larger budget

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

a yard sale..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

You'll get an old Dell Optiplex (Pentium IV) for that on eBay. Low spec but high build quality, small businesses are always dumping the base units and reusing the monitors and keyboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedPandaDan

Maybe the Intel NUC DN2820FYKH ? But I believe you still need to buy RAM separately for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A quick look on ebay and I can up with this Dell Optiplex 740 Desktop PC AMD Dual Core 2.30GHZ 2GB Ram 80GB HDD which is about the spec I'd expect for the money. I've a bit of experience with that particular box and they aren't fast but will do what you are asking and are reliable enough. The Free delivery and installed OS even if its XP has to be worth something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thanks for the suggestions. I was planning on buying an Optiplex. I don't need speed or lots of memory. Reliability would be a higher priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I have a Dell OptiPlex GX260 you could have for not much. It has a P4 1.6GHz and 512 MB RAM. I beleive it would take 2GB. I was running Xp on it, with a small HDD. Optical drive is missing but I might have a laptop one that would fit, I just never needed it.

I'm in Galway.

edit: I also have a Packard Bell desktop with a dual-core Pentium CPU I could part with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thanks. I have just bought a refurbished Optiplex on Adverts.

Advertisement