Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend Getaway

Options
  • 03-08-2014 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

For my birthday, my other half wants to take me to a hotel and spa for a night, where I can get a relaxing treatment, but also have the option to go horse riding (preferably cross country).

As he is not a horse person (to the point of keeping a safe distance from my own very friendly mare!), I'd like for us to go somewhere that he could do something while I'm off horse riding! He's big into photography, so I thought of places like Castle Leslie, but it's quite pricey!

Can anyone recommend a decent spot for us to go? Don't mind travelling a bit. We were quoted around €400 for a night in Castle Leslie, which was bed, breakfast, a treatment and four course meal. Not even including the horse riding!

Any advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TinaOT

Have you looked at Connemara Equestrian Escapes? Or there is Bel Air in Wicklow or maybe if you like glamping The Munny Trail/Old Forge Glamping some other options on Zara's planet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Thanks! Ill look at all those.

I'm now also looking into staying at a nice hotel near the likes of Castle Leslie or Mount Juliet, and just heading up there for the spa and equestrian elements. Can't justify spending €400 on a night away when that's how much my horse's livery costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

I recently spent the weekend in Ross House with friends and the horses.
    They have done up some of the rooms to a high standard, we stayed in the rooms that have a little conservatory out on to the courtyard, really lovely.

Theres no spa but the horsey facilities are second to none, there is beautiful walking and the lake also. Its pet friendly too. We paid €120 for everything, B&B, three course meal, lessons and we had the run of the place as far as hacking or the use of facilities were concerned. Excellent value. We chose to coral our horses, so I don't know what the stabling is like.

I've been to Castle Leslie and I wasn't impressed, perhaps if you wanted a luxury weekend, but we went with the horses and it was very expensive and you were very restricted as to what you could do.

There is also Slieve Aughty, Eco guesthouse and beautiful self contained cottages. The only thing is, the food is all organic, and a bit tasteless I found. I'm not sure if there are good places in the locality to eat out. While we were in Cavan, we ate out in two places in Oldcastle that were lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

anna harvey? not a massive amount he could there while you're riding though
    or the munny trail is gorgeous. the local pub is great fun and if your oh likes walking and photography he'd have stuff to do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Did you check the cost of staying in the lodge at Castle Leslie? The Munny might be a bit tedious for non-riders.Great spot though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Thanks everyone - we have decided to do this in two separate 'sessions'. We're going to do our own little weekend away together, and then he is going to organise for me to go on a cross country either at Castle Leslie, Annaharvey, Bel Air or the likes.

So now that that's sorted - what would you recommend for a good xc ride? Not going to take my own horse, and have been to Bel Air before - that was a lot of fun! Experienced rider, so looking for a good challenge :)

Advertisement