Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flea Spot on Treatment and Washing

• 03-08-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hey, sorry if this seems like a stupid question to ask.

But how long after using a flea and tick spot on treatment, can you wash your dogs or let them near water. I want to make sure the treatment works without having to apply it again Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Afaik is waterproof, but I would personally wait a couple of hours

Meant to say most are waterproof,

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

I applied it last night. Great one of my dogs, loves water and is going mad to get for a walk so she can go swimming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You should check the instructions/warnings to make sure you're not going to poison anything in the water(!). I don't use spot ons for my dogs because they don't prevent fleas and are imo a waste of money - if they ever get fleas THEN I'll treat them. It's like washing your hair with head lice shampoo every day

EG - advocate :

· Contact with water after application may reduce the efficacy of Advocate

· Advocate is toxic to aquatic animals so do not let it enter any water courses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Hi.used a spot on the other day.can't remember the brand,but I think the instructions said not to wash the dog for a couple of days,and definitely said to keep dog out of open waterways and ponds.

• Advertisement

The only one my vet recommends is this one, and dogs can go swimming after using it.

http://www.animalhealth.bayer.com/3354.0.html

I used to hate using them, my greyhound hates them, but my middle dog is prone to ear mites and at our checkup 3 weeks ago vet said this is the only ne he can recommend,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    The only one my vet recommends is this one, and dogs can go swimming after using it.

http://www.animalhealth.bayer.com/3354.0.html

I used to hate using them, my greyhound hates them, but my middle dog is prone to ear mites and at our checkup 3 weeks ago vet said this is the only ne he can recommend,

Garlic and coconut oils are meant to be really good for ear mites.

Hey,

Thanks, bought some coconut oil, no ear mites, woohoo.

Advertisement