Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Russell

• 03-08-2014 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭

The family Jack Russell has a noticeable black tick or mole on the side of his neck. He is 15 years of age and I was wondering would this be something to be concerned about at that age or should we get it checked over by Vet just in case its not benign?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

As dogs age they grow lots of warts and lumps and bumps. These can grow quite 'quickly'. At 15 your dog is pretty elderly, Im surprised he has only the 1! My 15 yr old terrier had many - we called him wart-hog! Its definately worth your while though to bring him to the vet to have it checked, just to be safe, and for your own peace of mind. Its probably absolutely nothing to worry about, but better safe than sorry. If your dog hasnt been to the vet for a while, its no harm to bring him for a good check up anyway.

Hope he is in very good health and form at 15 - any chance of a photo??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks for the information. My mum said she will bring him to the Vet for an observation of the mole like lump. The dog lives with my Mum and Dad in the family home so I wont get to see him again until next weekend when I will take a photo. He has been well looked after and looks a lot younger then his age. Hes walked for about 30 mins each day still. He will be greatly missed when he does pass on as he was brought as a pup at bout 10-12 weeks. Hopefully he still has a lot of life left in him although the average lifespan for his breed I believe is 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Take a few good pictures of it, save them, and record the date. That way if it changes colour or gets bigger or anything, you have something to compare it to.

Advertisement