Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Letting Agent

Options
  • 03-08-2014 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Guys,

Just been to see an apartment, paid a small holding deposit, got a receipt etc. when I checked the company out later I found that it was actually different to the Agent who had posted the ad on Daft. Furthermore, this company had been disolved last year. Obviously checked a bit more, tried to contact the letting agency Head office to confirm this guy was legitimate and found that the offices are closed down and number is disconnected.
    Obviously this is sounding incredibly dodgy, anybody reckon there could be any sort of reasonable explanation for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

report your suspicions to the regulatory body for estate agents.

http://www.psr.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/index-en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Check and see if they are listed by the Property Services Regulatory Authority

http://www.npsra.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/index-en

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hippies

Much appreciated.
    an update have tracked down the letting agent using the PRS database, they're in the renewal process, trading under a slightly different name in a different location. Will contact tuesday to confirm if this guy is actually dealing on their behalf. Still a bit fishy about the letterhead though...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hippies wrote: »
    Just been to see an apartment, paid a small holding deposit, got a receipt etc. when I checked the company out later I found that it was actually different to the Agent who had posted the ad on Daft.
    Not to frighten you, but it sounds like an old scam, whereby multiple people give a deposit to someone for an apartment, but no-one gets it, and the person leaves town with the cash...

Advertisement