Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we get a second dog?

• 03-08-2014 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hello all,
    Jst signed up but a regular viewer of this forum and have gotten great advice from reading threads previously, hoping you guys can off me some advice :)

I have a little terrier, shes 11/12. Shes always been the only dog in the house, shes well behaved, im definately the only one she really listens to and shes quiet clingy, in that she'll follow me about n is nearly always in the same room im in. ( I dont know if all of this is relevant! But im giving ye a full pic anyway!) Shes sleeps an awful lot but still loves her walks n can be quiet active n busy when she wants or if theres anything going on! Ive recently moved in with my partner (who she loves too) and shes been introduced to lots pf new people and the house is busier than what she would have been used to she has adapted to it really well...

So my question!! My partner suggested getting a new dog to keep her company. Do you guys think this would be a good idea?I read that as a dog gets older its good to get a new dog, as it gives the old dog a new lease of life and the old dog trains the new one. But shes not old old yet n definately not on the way out! Shes thankfully in great health. Would it be too much of a change for her or be good for her? She's very much used to being the boss I dont want her to feel pushed out but at the same time if it would be good for her we'd love to get her a little buddy! What are opinions here? Thanks a mil x

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Definitely get one if you have the space/time. Will give the old dog a new lease of life.
    The dog is getting old, she could even just go over night. Better to have a replacement/companion for her.
    She'll quickly put the other dog in its place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

I think it depends on the dog and their health.

We had a terrier who would not tolerate a second dog in the house, it was very stressful for him as he was set in his ways.

However, when he got very old, and was sort of restricted to one part of the house due to his decreased mobility, we were able to get a second dog, but not for company, they essentially lived separate lives. Neither dog influenced the other.

Some older dogs may get a new lease of life, but that may not be a good thing, they may be trying to be assertive past what their normal comfortable level of activity is, protective of their resources etc like my old dog, any contact with our new dog, had him tuckered out and stressed after a short period of time.

I certainly would think about getting a mature dog, rather then a puppy?

I've personally yet to see a beneficial relationship between a very elderly dog and a puppy.

My old dog lived for 5 more years after we got a puppy.
    She was already on her last legs, didn't play, didn't move much, but when the puppy came she completely changed.

Some dogs are different, as you've said. All depends on the temper of the dog i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Mullcorr

Thanks for replys so far! I dont think we'll be getting a pup if we do decide to get another, weve been looking at rescued/pound dogs and they all semm to be at least a few years old and I think id like if the were in or around the same size and breed or some kind or terrier cross as her. I read the terriers ususally live till theyre 15/16
    , how long did yours live for?(I cant remember who posted above that they had one n not figured the quoting just yet!)

About 13-14.

She had a stroke near the end and had to be put to sleep sadly. Still, she had a great life.

Have 3 Shih Stzus in the house now instead. A handful is not the word.

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    About 13-14.

She had a stroke near the end and had to be put to sleep sadly. Still, she had a great life.

Have 3 Shih Stzus in the house now instead. A handful is not the word.

3! Your definayely busy!
    13/14 -thats younger than I thought! obviously I know its different for every dog, I hate thinking that shes getting old and im not totally sure of her age shes definately 11 but she could also be well into 12 and theres not a bother on her, just back from a 7km jog n she was practically pulling me along! :) um... lots of food for thought... thanks guys

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

How does she feel about other dogs op?
    Have you ever had other dogs in your house, even visiting dogs, to gauge how she feels about them in her own home? Bearing in mind that how they react to other dogs out on walks is an entirely different prospect to having one move in to her home permanently!

Mullcorr wrote: »
    Thanks for replys so far! I dont think we'll be getting a pup if we do decide to get another, weve been looking at rescued/pound dogs and they all semm to be at least a few years old and I think id like if the were in or around the same size and breed or some kind or terrier cross as her. I read the terriers ususally live till theyre 15/16
    , how long did yours live for?(I cant remember who posted above that they had one n not figured the quoting just yet!)

We had my old JRT put down at the age of 15 due to CHF.

There had been several strays and waifs over the years, some we would have kept if they got on, but no, he was too much of a grump. Some we would have kept on for a reasonable length of time while we found suitable homes etc

I remember when he was about 6/7 we got a stray kitten ... he wasn't aggressive, he was just jealous you know. Unhappy with the situation.

They both used to sleep in the utility at night.
    He had a big bed and the kitten had a shoebox. At some point during the night, the kitten got out of the shoebox and tried to snuggle in with him in the bed.

The next morning, we found the kitten in his bed, while he was rammed into the shoebox. He was THAT disgruntled about the poor little thing. I'll see if I can find pictures, you know by his face!!

When he was 12, we had moved to a much bigger house and got in a stray kitten, and that was wiley and stayed out of his way... again they pretty much lived separate lives. He slept in the bed by the stove at this point, and the cat slept in the utility. Her feed bowls were in there, his were next to his bed for ease of access etc

We still have that cat who gets on famously with our current dog.

When he was 13 then, we got our current dog, another stray ... and it just so happened that we discovered he was too old to be bothered with it.

At that age, his daily routine consisted of a lot of sleeping, and just pottering out to pee. I don't know why a dog at that age, with his issues (arthritis and CHF) would NEED a new lease of life, he was happy in his comfort!

''Eurgh - its touching me!''
    TazandRoscocat.jpg

Rips that pic is deadly, kitten is so cute (n im not really cat person!)

Dbb - she gets on ok with other small dogs, well small males, she was bitten by a larger dog two yrs ago and since then is quiet snarly when approached by bigger dogs when out walking.
    Where i used to live with her, our neighbours had a little male jack russell, around the same age, and the pair of them got on fine, always in and around each others gardens. He never really came into the house but if he did she didnt seem to mind. We havent had another dog at our new house, there is quiet a few in the neighbourhood n one next door who barks quiet a lot through the fence, sometimes she'll let a few barks back at him as if to say 'shut up' but for the most part she just ignores him n snoozes. But as for in her space, for any decent period of time shes never had to share

Thanks, I loved that kitten, but we had to find a home for it.

If as you say she's in good health etc ...you could try fostering perhaps? See if you could get a suitable dog and see how it goes? Its nice to get another, but it can be difficult, and I hate to think of them being 'put out' in their retirement :p

My indoor cat at the moment is four, I'd love another, we finally have space but I think our lad has been too long on his own. He took umbrage with a kitten I was fostering. The kitten had to be kept isolated as it was a sickly little thing, but he knew where it was, the outrage!

• Advertisement

Rips wrote: »
    If as you say she's in good health etc ...you could try fostering perhaps? See if you could get a suitable dog and see how it goes? Its nice to get another, but it can be difficult, and I hate to think of them being 'put out' in their retirement :p

This is very much how I'd view it too... A lot of older terriers wouldn't thank you for bringing a new dog into their comfortable, familiar life, and you certainly don't want to make a decision that you regret.
    For this reason, offering to foster a dog for a reputable rescue would be a sensible compromise, with a view to permanently adopting the dog if all works out, but also in the knowledge that if they don't work out together, you're not in a position where you have to rehome a dog from scratch.
    I'd always suggest a male where there's a resident female, and preferably of an age where he's sensible enough to respect her and not be too in her face. Whilst you do hear stories of young dogs giving old dogs a new lease of life, in my experience the incidence of new younger dogs in the home seriously peeing off and stressing the older, solo resident dog are far more common, especially with terriers as they tend to be more independent than other breeds. They rather like their own company when it comes to other dogs :o

I think fostering might be the way to go! Didnt realise it was an option but im going to contact the local pound n look in to it that way ill get to see how she is with other dogs n be able to make a better decision, thanks all for the replies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭hollytrees

I would agree that your dog may not be overly impressed as if she has been the only dog for 11 years it may be too much upheaval at this stage in her life. However, if you do really want to get another one maybe foster or mind a friends dog for a couple of days.

You may have issues with jealously if she has been used to been your only pet. I went from owning 2 to 3 dogs last year and found it a complete nightmare, very stressful. This might be because of the dogs personality but the older dog was not impressed with me giving attention to the new dog. I have since re homed one and it's like peace has been reinstated. I suppose what I'm trying to say is you won't know until you give it a go! Good luck

I think fostering might be the way to go! Didnt realise it was an option but im going to contact the local pound n look in to it that way ill get to see how she is with other dogs n be able to make a better decision, thanks all for the replies :)

Unless your pound is one of the very few good rescue-run pounds, I wouldn't be inclined to take a dog from the pound in your situation. This is because you really don't know what you're bringing home, because you're looking at the dog in an artificial, true-behaviour-suppressing environment, and the chances of the staff having a REALLY good history on that dog are pretty slim. It may work, but it is a lottery.
    You'd be far better off contacting a local, reputable rescue and asking them for their support with a dog whose temperament and suitability they already have a pretty good grasp of.

DBB wrote: »
    Unless your pound is one of the very few good rescue-run pounds, I wouldn't be inclined to take a dog from the pound in your situation. This is because you really don't know what you're bringing home, because you're looking at the dog in an artificial, true-behaviour-suppressing environment, and the chances of the staff having a REALLY good history on that dog are pretty slim. It may work, but it is a lottery.
    You'd be far better off contacting a local, reputable rescue and asking them for their support with a dog whose temperament and suitability they already have a pretty good grasp of.

I had been thinking that aswell, Ive ben keeping an eye on my local pounds facebook:page the last while and I think your point is quiet true that they wouldnt have a true history on the dog, they rescue them, keep them a certain time (quiet a short time ) and put them to sleep if theyre not claimed or rehomed. There was just gorgeous little fellows there and the thoughts that I could help one was probably not letting me consider all. Glad I posted here, have a lot to consider and way more to research to do!!!

I had been thinking that aswell, Ive ben keeping an eye on my local pounds facebook:page the last while and I think your point is quiet true that they wouldnt have a true history on the dog, they rescue them, keep them a certain time (quiet a short time ) and put them to sleep if theyre not claimed or rehomed. There was just gorgeous little fellows there and the thoughts that I could help one was probably not letting me consider all. Glad I posted here, have a lot to consider and way more to research to do!!!

Quite a few rescues take dogs from the pounds, so you can still foster/adopt a poundie, just one that has had a bit of an assessment done and which has the support of the rescue behind them in case it doesn't work out :)

Advertisement