Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapskategate aka How Not To Host Your Wedding

Comments

I had something awfully similar happen to me (I wasn't bridesmaid but I was with the "best man") so I know it can actually happen.

Takes all sorts!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Mikeymouse you already got a warning for your previous post. Banned for three days.

It's got nothing do do with whether or not you believe the OP, there were two simple rules given at the start of the thread which you seem to be unable to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

It's sort of sad that the couple decided to run their party like this. It's been mentioned before that no one minds going to a budget event, but the guests need to know in advance. It's not the meanness that's the biggest issue, it's the deception.

Also, one detail that many have overlooked is what happened to the other bridesmaid the night before the wedding. They were supposed to be staying with the bride, but they were turfed out on to the street with nowhere to stay that night when the arguments errupted. We don't know what happened to her after the wedding too. That's really shabby. I'm amazed they turned up at all for the wedding after being treated like that, so I suppose you'd have to award them a medal for persevering.

Is the original bridesmaidgate thread going to reappear again? I saw it back up yesterday for a while, and now it's gone again. It's an interesting read to see how many people were holding out against hope that there would be "suprise" food, or that there was some kind of misunderstanding. It's nice to think that people try to see the best in people and cynicism hasn't completely taken over.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭OrangeVarnish

The more I think about it the more I wonder how much of an inkling did people have, if WDIC made so many invites, wondering if there would be 250-300 people there, did the bride just not send them, or did people rsvp no?
    Also - the fact her father wasn't there is baffling?! And the rest of her family.....how long has she been going out with her now husband?! Maybe it was a shotgun wedding and they don't like him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

The more I think about it the more I wonder how much of an inkling did people have, if WDIC made so many invites, wondering if there would be 250-300 people there, did the bride just not send them, or did people rsvp no?
    Also - the fact her father wasn't there is baffling?! And the rest of her family.....how long has she been going out with her now husband?! Maybe it was a shotgun wedding and they don't like him?
    WDIC did not make the invites. She gave the paper/card stock to the bride who printed the invites herself. So although WDIC gave the bride about 200, she really doesn't know if she printed all of them. Possibly she messed up a few or considering her meaness, maybe she held onto some blanks - but that's just speculation. WDIC did not know how many people were invited and what the breakdown was between the 3PM and the 6PM events.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Brianthedog

Hi could someone direct me to the first part of the story - the build-up to the wedding ?

the story was fantastic - this woman should write a column!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

^^

The original thread has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭OrangeVarnish

leck wrote: »
    WDIC did not make the invites. She gave the paper/card stock to the bride who printed the invites herself. So although WDIC gave the bride about 200, she really doesn't know if she printed all of them. Possibly she messed up a few or considering her meaness, maybe she held onto some blanks - but that's just speculation. WDIC did not know how many people were invited and what the breakdown was between the 3PM and the 6PM events.

Thanks Leck, I'm not doubting WDIC at all :) I'm more wondering if she was told that amount did others have an inkling about the disaster that was going to happen and then just decide to not turn up! I thought that WDIC made the invites didn't pick that up right in the orginal thread at all so! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Kertrada

Either the WDIC or Orange Varnish is lieing. What a joke this thread is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Kertrada wrote: »
    Either the WDIC or Orange Varnish is lieing. What a joke this thread is
    WDIC is not lying. She made a post in another thread and it grew from there. She would have to have some amazing psychic abilities to know that her one post would grow into two threads in their own right :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    WDIC is not lying. She made a post in another thread and it grew from there. She would have to have some amazing psychic abilities to know that her one post would grow into two threads in their own right :rolleyes:

They can't both be telling the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why not? I'll be the first to admit I thought the original story was made up but if a second person knows someone who was there that puts me in my box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Just catching up properly now. Thanks so much dor uprating Wdic And for posting it Toots*.

The day turned out more or less how you expected. It did cross my mind when reading about you being abandoned at the photo location whether the bride caught wind of this thread and if it was a bit of payback lol.

Im sure you're glad its all over!

eviltwin wrote: »
    Why not?

The view of the B&G conflict

The view of the B&G conflict

That could be just perspective, anyway I do think the story has run its course, its become irrelevant now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Dunno, they got the dosh, they got the wedding, and they got drunk, they danced, they partied, and then headed off on honeymoon. Sounds like they done quite nicely, while permanently flushing out, exposing, and getting rid of any pretend friends and family. I'd love to hear their side of the story, but seemingly, any questioning of the posters claims is not allowed.

They as in the bridal couple flushed out any pretend friends and family?! More like they showed the world at large how they are poor "friends" and are thoroughly unpleasant family members to have too!
    As has been said many times if they wanted a small wedding they could have had just that at a tiny cost but they implied they were having a regular run of the mill event but were rude, thoughtless, selfish, grabbing, greedy and grasping.
    They have shown the people who were their friends that they truly weren't and embarrassed and hurt their own family.
    They effectively lied and cheated and that is truly dispicible.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Seriously, are some people completely incapable of following a simple instruction? Is it the bold text? The colour red? This is the very last warning I'll be giving on the thread. There's already been several yellow cards and a ban issued, next time someone accuses the OP of lying I'm locking the thread.

Also had to delete a few posts there, so I'll just ask posters not to post any information that may lead to identification of the B&G.

Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Of course they can. The other poster said they knew someone who turned up around 10/11 and enjoyed the last few hours of the night. There is a huge difference between someone who only spent a couple of hours in the b&g's company and someone who had been putting up with them all day and in the weeks leading up to the wedding. The other poster's friends weren't lying, they simply weren't privy to the bigger picture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

Toots Thanks again for being such a super Mod. Going to the afters of a wedding is very different to a day invitation.

Of course they can. The other poster said they knew someone who turned up around 10/11 and enjoyed the last few hours of the night. There is a huge difference between someone who only spent a couple of hours in the b&g's company and someone who had been putting up with them all day and in the weeks leading up to the wedding. The other poster's friends weren't lying, they simply weren't privy to the bigger picture.

I don't know if the truth is being told or not, all I know is we have another differing account from someone who knows this wedding and the B&G. Even if the original slurs against the B&G are all true, I find it hard to believe what type of Bridesmaid would put it all over the internet in the days leading right up to, and surrounding the wedding. Either way, it's a sorry tale of woe, no one should be taking any pleasure in.

Anyone else think this thread has run its course, wedding is over now, how much longer can it be discussed.

I don't know if the truth is being told or not, all I know is we have another differing account from someone who knows this wedding and the B&G. Even if the original slurs against the B&G are all true, I find it hard to believe what type of Bridesmaid would put it all over the internet in the days leading right up to, and surrounding the wedding. Either way, it's a sorry tale of woe, no one should be taking any pleasure in.

Ooh...where's the bit about the other poster being there? I missed that bit.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Someone turned up at 11pm (after the no-dinner and missed the cake), stayed for a few hours and said it was a great wedding. I think.

They were deleted because it could have potentially identified the B&G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The plot line has beaten that of any movie I've seen recently. Perhaps the bride will get divorced and we'll get a sequel in a few years...

The plot line has beaten that of any movie I've seen recently. Perhaps the bride will get divorced and we'll get a sequel in a few years...

I've seen a few episodes of Don't Tell The Bride that come close :D The vegas one and the magalluf one spring to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

In before the lock. Twas a great ride guys. Enjoyed the roller-coaster few days. WDIC you are a legend!

How many times do you have to be told. The other poster's friends were only there for the last couple of hours, so no, they don't know the full story of the wedding.

I don't know if you have followed from the beginning but the bridesmaid has the patience of a saint and many in her shoes would not have been as restrained. It's the bride's behaviour you should be having problems with, not the bridesmaid.

I bet if any bride posted that she made her bridal party foot the bill for all their expenses, made them pay for their wedding dinner and then abandoned them in a car park, no one would be saying to the bride "oh poor you, don't mind anyone who criticises you, they're only being mean". There is no excusing behaviour like that and I can assure you that people from her own family and friends will be saying a lot worse about her and for long after this thread has been forgotten.

How many times do you have to be told. The other poster's friends were only there for the last couple of hours, so no, they don't know the full story of the wedding.

I don't know if you have followed from the beginning but the bridesmaid has the patience of a saint and many in her shoes would not have been as restrained. It's the bride's behaviour you should be having problems with, not the bridesmaid.

I bet if any bride posted that she made her bridal party foot the bill for all their expenses, made them pay for their wedding dinner and then abandoned them in a car park, no one would be saying to the bride "oh poor you, don't mind anyone who criticises you, they're only being mean". There is no excusing behaviour like that and I can assure you that people from her own family and friends will be saying a lot worse about her and for long after this thread has been forgotten.

I don't think all the glee about this story is well founded.
    The facts are we have two conflicting accounts of the wedding and the B&G. One of them has been deleted, despite not revealing any more details that could identify anyone. Something is not adding up here, I don't know of any forums where discussion of both possible sides is not permitted. It's very strange, and a strange thread to be doing leading up to, around, and after someone's wedding. I don't know which side is correct, nor I am going to jump to any conclusions, or be forced to. Either way, it sounds like it was miserable story whatever way you look at it.

• Advertisement

Kertrada banned for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Toots* You'll be needing a bottle of wine for this thread! It would be well deserved too!
    Has the op been in contact since the update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

What a story! Great storytelling too from WDIC, thanks so much for all the laughs and suspense.

I think that what makes it hard for some to take in is that pretty much everyone knows a particularly stingy/selfish/antisocial individual, but it's not often that they come in pairs. My grandmother's brother and his wife were such a pair. Reads like the story of their nuptials!

I don't drink! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Toots* wrote: »

There's always time to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Tea and superb biscuits it is so!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Tea and superb biscuits it is so!

Very strong sweet tea for the shock after the past few weeks ;)

I've developed a mild Valium addiction. When the inevitable happens and this thread gets locked I'm off to rehab.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

I've developed a mild Valium addiction. When the inevitable happens and this thread gets locked I'm off to rehab.

You will need the break and a very deserved one it will be too ! Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thanks so much to WDIC for the update and to Toots* for her hard work. Gourmet biscuits and tea for you m'dear.

I've absolutely love the previous thread and this one. It's sad how the day went and how things are going to be for the bride and groom given their utterly scandalous behaviour, but they have no one but themselves to blame for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

I always knew Angela Kerins was freelancing on here..;)

Have to say that the whole thread has been amazingly entertaining. Whether WDIC enjoyed it as much as the rest of us, I have no idea. Still laughing at the two opening the envelopes at the table...

Well done all..;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Link to original thread? ??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

nc19 wrote: »
    Link to original thread? ??

Deleted, as has been said a hundred times in this thread :rolleyes:

'Twas removed in case it outed the B&G or the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

I'd normally stay out of a tittle tattle thread such as this but I have to say the only person's behaviour I find questionable here is the OP's who's splashing the details of such a terrible day all over a public forum.

The bride's family decided the night before not to come so clearly is something seriously amiss - but instead of standing by her she splashes the details all over here (if course the story is true).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

grimbergen wrote: »
    I'd normally stay out of a tittle tattle thread such as this but I have to say the only person's behaviour I find questionable here is the OP's who's splashing the details of such a terrible day all over a public forum.

The bride's family decided the night before not to come so clearly is something seriously amiss - but instead of standing by her she splashes the details all over here (if course the story is true).

Seriously, did you even read the first post? The hardest thing to believe in this thread is all the eejits who just skip the bold and red text in the very first post :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

You should have heeded your first instinct.

"Splashes the details" - one post (singular) by OP (singular) which was posted on her behalf by the moderator. How is that splashing the details?

Are people misreading the thread on purpose? The op didn't spread the story all over anywhere. ..

- she made a comment in another thread about how she had to pay for her own dress
    - the post was lifted from another thread and given a thread of its own.
    - the second thread garnered more interest than anyone anticipated as the story became more intriguing
    - that thread was closed because posters were bickering and it was feared it might reveal the identity of the b and g
    - a lot of us were very interested in how the day turned out so wdic pmed toots* to approve her post and it was made into a third thread.

Wdic did not start any thread, or post anything 'all over the Internet', it was a simple post in someone else's thread that grew legs.

the couple have already been identified, one other poster knows who they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Lets me honest - this is Jeremy Kyle type "entertainment" for those who want it. Is it becoming of an otherwise well moderated forum such as Boards, only they can answer that.

I didn't read all the thread but a few have made the point that the bride doesn't seem well and may be going through some kind of mental illness right now. The erratic behaviour would certainly point in that direction. My only comment is that the OP's energies might have been better served heading off the inevitable train crash rather than lashing the details onto a public forum.

As I said, only an observation. Not intending to start a debate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement