Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

infraction in horse racing forum

Options
  • 03-08-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Iv gotten an infraction for "posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members" by mod andyman.

Have spoken to andyman and the decision is upheld. I asked a question to another poster about their comments. I dont believe my comments were disruptive or agressive.
    please help with this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

no help at all?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's a bank holiday weekend, a little patience would be appreciated.

thank you zaph

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, I'll have a look at this

You had not posted in the Horse Racing forum before yesterday, and all 4 posts you have made were in the single thread, culminating in the one that resulted in the red card being issued

Could you perhaps first explain why you chose to join in that discussion, as on the face of it you seemed more concerned with challenging another poster with the following posts
    idnkph wrote: »
    how many garde or group races have you won?
    idnkph wrote: »
    please forgive my dyslexia. But ya got my drift. He is a good jockey. Its just his style. There are not too many complete jockeys out there.
    But trying to pump up your own ego by putting him down doesnt work....He is making a great living being a professional jockey. Which meeting are you riding at today?
    The implication appears to be that you think the other poster's views would only be valid if that poster was a jockey. Do you think that is a valid interpretation?

as you can see i havent very many posts and im slowly following and discovering threads that i would like to follow hense my first time posting in the racing section.
    Horse racing is something iv been involved with over the years. I was asking the question to merely point out that this jockey was very successful so for in his career. I wasnt agressive as stated by andyman.
    I was just stating my view on it as this is a discussions forum. Where I think people are allowed to express their views. It was also a genuine valid question. The other poster had stated he was involved in horses before so you can see why I asked that question.
    Do you interperate my post as being agressive towards the other poster?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Whatever your intentions, that's the way it comes across. Your initial post gave the distinct impression of being insulting towards the jockey in question (even if said in jest). You then followed up with the posts above.

The poster you were responding to made no claim to being "involved in horses" other than to mention he had gone out hunting with the jockey (who you had already aimed an insult at) "when he (the poster) was a kid"

So it comes across that you dropped into the forum to criticise one poster, suggesting he was trying to "pump up his ego".

Your "question" was inappropriate. The real life activities of the other poster are none of your business. If posters volunteer such info then fine - do not probe posters for any personal info though as that will get you into trouble around here

Now you have no history on the forum, and very little history across the site. Looking at your posting cold you came across as a troll. Almost implying you were the "expert" on the topic in question and putting down another poster because he had made slightly negative comments towards that jockey (comments that were nowhere near as insulting as your intial post aimed at that jockey)

Can you see how your posts could be interpreted as stirring things up and aggressive towards the other poster?

They were in no way agressive. I was trying to add some humor to the thread (which has been followed up by the poster i was supposidly being agressive towards) which i have taken as being humor was interperated by myself. Then i asked the "agressive" question to which i recieved my petty infraction.
    I can see Im fighting a losing battle against the overlords of boards. what is the outcome of this?

Are you sugegsting this was "in no way aggressive" towards another poster?
    But trying to pump up your own ego by putting him down doesnt work
    It's a basic rule of Boards - attack the post not the poster. As I've already indicated you had no history in the forum and not much across the site, so it's difficult for the mod to judge your intentions. Given recent problems in the forum the last thing it needs is more posters coming in to try and stir things up. Your attempts at "humour" could easily have backfired, but fortunately other posters, and in particular the one your comments were aimed at, were restrained in their responses.

There is no problem with a bit of banter in most forums, but that generally involves posters who have built up a bit of a rapport beforehand. Neither the other poster nor the mod could have had much idea as to your intentions with such ciomments

On balance I think a red card was probably a little harsh though given your clean record to date, and I would propose downgrading it to a yellow. I would also suggest you try and get a feel for a forum before jumping in with posts like that.

Would that be an acceptable compromise?

I still think I was not being agressive but I do agree with most of all else you have said and i would gladly accept the downgrading as an acceptable compromise

Thank you. I will set the wheels in motion, although it may take a day or two

This thread can now be marked "resolved"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement