Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting your degree parchment thing before graduation

Options
  • 03-08-2014 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a hold of one's parchment before the actual graduation ceremony?

I've been accepted to a masters in Russia but I need the actual parchment for visa purposes. My graduation is on the 27th of August and the course starts in Russia on the 1st September, which makes life difficult to me.

I rang SAA and was told that it wasn't possible and if I wasn't at the ceremony there would be a further few weeks delay before it could be posted out to me (no explanation for this :confused:), however it seems bizarre to me that there is no way to get the parchment earlier. Even an electronic copy would do.

Has anyone else had this issue, or does anyone know of any solution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Download your official UL transcript , same thing innit !! :)

View transcript, right click print, and destination / save it as a PDF (Chrome browser way at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

neil_ wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to get a hold of one's parchment before the actual graduation ceremony?

I've been accepted to a masters in Russia but I need the actual parchment for visa purposes. My graduation is on the 27th of August and the course starts in Russia on the 1st September, which makes life difficult to me.

I rang SAA and was told that it wasn't possible and if I wasn't at the ceremony there would be a further few weeks delay before it could be posted out to me (no explanation for this :confused:), however it seems bizarre to me that there is no way to get the parchment earlier. Even an electronic copy would do.

Has anyone else had this issue, or does anyone know of any solution?

You're not a graduate until you're conferred at the ceremony (you're a graduand before you become a graduate, if my memory of the ceremony is correct) so you can't get a parchment until then.

Get a letter stating you're going to graduate with a First/2.1/2.2/3 from SAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

The people in Russia seem pretty definite about requiring the parchment. I have already sent my transcript; they know I'm going to graduate they just require proper certification of my degree in order to give me a reference number for my visa application.
    Cossax wrote: »
    You're not a graduate until you're conferred at the ceremony (you're a graduand before you become a graduate, if my memory of the ceremony is correct) so you can't get a parchment until then.

Get a letter stating you're going to graduate with a First/2.1/2.2/3 from SAA?

It just seems odd that UL can't give it to you earlier, given that it's 100% certain that I will graduate at this point. I doubt I'm the first person to have an issue like this..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

neil_ wrote: »
    The people in Russia seem pretty definite about requiring the parchment. I have already sent my transcript; they know I'm going to graduate they just require proper certification of my degree in order to give me a reference number for my visa application.

It just seems odd that UL can't give it to you earlier, given that it's 100% certain that I will graduate at this point. I doubt I'm the first person to have an issue like this..

You're not a graduate until you graduate ergo no parchment. Why there's such a time delay between results and graduation, I can't say, but it seems to be a more widespread phenomenon than just UL doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

Cossax wrote: »
    You're not a graduate until you graduate ergo no parchment. Why there's such a time delay between results and graduation, I can't say, but it seems to be a more widespread phenomenon than just UL doing it.

I understand the theory, I don't understand why it's practiced. If there is some reason to leave the ceremony until August, they could still officially graduate you earlier and make your parchment available to you should you require it. Even if this was only done on a case-by-case basis just for people who need it earlier (e.g. me), I can't imagine it would require a great deal of effort beyond someone in SAA looking up your records and/or emailing your course director to verify that you're going to graduate. Anyway it's all academic, thanks for answering my question! I'll have a busy few days at the end of August..

• Advertisement
Advertisement