Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

April 2015 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Gonzp

bp wrote: »
    Having it very tough with wind here - hours of crying so baby is sleepy and too tired to eat. It wasn't bad at our check up last week but is progressively getting worse. Considering going back to doc today

I am in tears with tiredness but love my little man. hate seeing him in pain

sorry to hear that. Have you considered changing to Dr. Browns bottles. We did and it has improved lots. Buy one and feex using it for a day. Also I was told that holding them flat, face down, with one hand under their chin and the other through their legs and supporting their belly helps with wind...
    It apparently creates a passage for escape. I hope ye get better soon.... keeping him upright after a feed too helps, sorry if you know all this, these are things that we were told and they have helped lots...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Thanks for the above - my toddler never had bad wind so new territory for me. I am breastfeeding and am going to try keep it up longer but may have to stop for everyone's sanity! I know it will pass, it is just tough as you know yourself

Thanks for the above - my toddler never had bad wind so new territory for me. I am breastfeeding and am going to try keep it up longer but may have to stop for everyone's sanity! I know it will pass, it is just tough as you know yourself

Ah, most of my suggestions wont help then... sorry.... I had to stop breast feeding my first, if it doesnt work, dont feel guilty about it... a happy mammy leads to a happy baby... try and rest. I have a 17 month old too, so I know its not easy.... Be good to yourself ...

Ah, most of my suggestions wont help then... sorry.... I had to stop breast feeding my first, if it doesnt work, dont feel guilty about it... a happy mammy leads to a happy baby... try and rest. I have a 17 month old too, so I know its not easy.... Be good to yourself ...

Oh absolutely. I am going to give it one more week and then start weaning if it doesn't improve. I cannot function on no sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Have you tried infacol, gripe water or colief BP? My daughter was the same and she is now four months. I am breastfeeding and she now gets one bottle a day with colief on it. The things that helped me were raising one end of the crib mattress (blankets underneath) and trial and error with the above products. The colief made a dramatic difference in terms of wind that was trapped in the bowel and the gripe water helped her burp after feeding. Hope something there might help. I had this issue on both of my children and it can be tough. They eventually grow out of it.

fall wrote: »
    Have you tried infacol, gripe water or colief BP? My daughter was the same and she is now four months. I am breastfeeding and she now gets one bottle a day with colief on it. The things that helped me were raising one end of the crib mattress (blankets underneath) and trial and error with the above products. The colief made a dramatic difference in terms of wind that was trapped in the bowel and the gripe water helped her burp after feeding. Hope something there might help. I had this issue on both of my children and it can be tough. They eventually grow out of it.

Thank you for the above. I am giving colief with each feed and will try the others. Cot already tilted :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi bp have you tried any baby massage techniques. If you don't want to do a class i'm sure there's stuff on YouTube? Rubing babies tummy in clockwise circles with the flat of your fingers of your hand is one i can remember off hand because i used to do it to settle him in the basket, i could do it without getting out of bed. I also did Reflexology with my little reflux baby, he enjoyed it and slept well after it if nothing else!! And some people i know have tried Cranial Sacral Therapy who you go to an Osteopath for. Also feeding as upright as possible, if you google Laid Back Nursing, i used to feed slightly reclined in a recliner with baby straddling my thigh on the side he was feeding, as he got bigger and could support his head better i could go more and more upright. Not sure if i'm explaining that very well. By the way not to push you to stay breast feeding but i eventually weaned my lad thinking it was something i was eating or that some special stay-down formulas might be better for him or special bottles might work... but the problems didn't get better and i ended up with all sort of guilt issues because i had breast fed my 1st waaaaay longer and i felt i rushed into weaning.

I would go back to the doctor though, it could be silent reflux that is causing him such discomfort.

Best of luck x

Thank you :-) massage yes, reflexology I know nothing about so I will look into it - much appreciate all the advice. Poor baby - anything that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Well, how are we all doing now? Everyone settled into life with a baby/another baby? This post will be a bit long as I'm in a happy babbling mood :)

We're doing great here, really great :) I must read back over my posts full of misery on this thread just to see how far I/we have come in about a month. My blood pressure is totally normal now, I'm still on meds but it's quite a bit lower the last few days than it was at my first 6 week appt so I'm hopeful I'll be off them soon. My consultant is gone away due to a family emergency but apparently next week somebody will be taking a look at my 24hr monitor results and reviewing if needed.

My stomach lost its numbness two days ago, turns out the numbness was saving me from quite a bit of pain, it hurts so damn much now! No wonder I was able to cope without pain meds after a few days in hospital! Delighted the feeling is fully back so soon though. I'm pretty much back to my pre pregnancy shape, my weight is still up about half a stone but I'm hoping milk weighs a lot hehe :P I'm eating well and looking forward to upping the exercise in the coming weeks.

And as for baby, he is just the best, of course :) He's 5 (and a half) weeks old, exclusively breastfed, sleeping well and getting more alert by the day. Got a half smile this morning when he saw me in the mirror while he heard me talking behind him. He wakes 2-3 times at night every 2-3 hours, pretty manageable. If we could just get the blood curdling screams that he goes straight to for every clothes/nappy change and bath we'd be flying!

Thanks for all of your support in my difficult weeks stuck in hospital around his birth, you really helped me out, especially traineeacc. I will always remember your very well timed post asking how I was as I sat sobbing on my hospital bed a few days after he was born, in the thick of the high bp hell :o

Would love to hear how all the other April mums are getting on x

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

Aw spotty glad I was of some help to you. I was you three years ago on my first so knew exactly what you were going through. My 5 week old is a really good baby and totally chilled out getting some good long stretches the odd night too which helps! The weeks are just flying by!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Spotty loved reading your post earlier - I'm so glad everything has worked out so well for you and your little man!

I ended up having an April baby just about - was sure I'd go the 10 days over and be well into May. She's 16 days old and amazing. I'm so in love with her while still managing to be somewhat level headed and not completely neurotic first time mother so I'm thrilled. Have a sling consult booked for tomorrow week, can't wait to get one for her. She loves being on our chest so think she'll love it.

We're not quite back at birth weight but almost! Happy enough with how she's feeding but she does get a lot of wind that seems to hurt her :(

Angeldelight slings are the best thing ever, I don't know how people get anything done with a small baby without one. I can really see why if you didn't have one you wouldn't be able to eat, look anyway decent, do any jobs that need doing, I'd be lost without mine. We were in Tesco a few nights ago and I had brought it in the buggy because when he has a meltdown he sounds like his world is ending. He started bawling in the buggy (my husband could hear him two aisles over), so I popped him in the sling, another 40 minutes of blissful contented silence :)

I thought I'd have a May baby too, I never thought he'd be born in the first week of April, I think I'm still in shock.

Is she breast or formula fed? She'll be back to birth weight soon enough :) Can't wait to see what he weighs at 6 week check up this week. We had bad gas problems here last week but mostly gone now, he adores gripe water and we figured out what works to soothe him when the pain hits him so it's ok now. He's great for burping big giant burps when he needs to, no sitting around for ages with a crying pained baby trying to get wind up.

I just got really low bp readings, for anyone that understands it at its highest mine was 193/100-183/111, I got 89/69 and 91/62 just now!

I've been looking over my white booklet thing from pregnancy appts and worked out that 2 weeks after delivery I weighed 3kg more than I did at 6 weeks pregnant, and some of that was still fluid. I put on over 2 stone (switching between kgs and stone there sorry!) of pure fluid, so scary.

I should have bought one before she was born but I wasn't convinced I'd use it. Seeing how happy she is up in our arms or sleeping on our chests I definitely think we'll get good use of it. Just wish I could have gotten an appointment for this weekend! Hopefully our lady likes it as much as your little boy. Which sling did you get? In fairness she's an extremely placid baby - she's happy out in her Moses basket or bouncer for long enough stretches that so far we've always been able to eat dinner together but I'm sure that won't continue!

She's bottle fed - didn't help with her weight that on day one a nurse told us to feed her 30ml at every feed and only on day five did they tell us we should have been increasing the volume by 5ml a day. She was 9lb when she was born though so she's a sturdy little thing - I'm sure she'll be back up to birth weight by appointment next week.

I was back in with consultant today, noticed my section wound looked a bit red and lumpy so emailed her this morning and she got me to come in for a look - turns out it's ok but reassuring to have it looked at so quickly. She was reminding me to take precautions if decide to have some couple time - ha, as if!

They're very low reading alright, are you still on some bp meds? Crazy how much fluid you were retaining... No wonder you were breathless! I weighed myself this evening, down 1 stone and 3lb from when I found out I was pregnant... An advantage to being overweight when I conceived I guess

Fourth trimester, google it, all babies just want to be warm, held and able to hear your heart. I have a Kari Me, it's great once it's on but as he is prone to screaming that makes your heart ache it's tough to put it on properly quickly when he's doing that. He's asleep in it now, so I got about 4 days of dish washing done! We always eat dinner together, he's usually asleep in the carrycot of the buggy, or in the sling on one of us.

Yep I'm still on one med, one 20mg dose a day. If it continues like this I would hope to be reduced to 1x10mg dose, which is the lowest, then off it soon after (fingers crossed). No wonder I was breathless is right! It's only when I put on my maternity jeans now (thank god for them after a section btw) that I realise how tight they had gotten.

Are you wearing the sexy compression stockings? I took mine off a few days ago, before the 6 week mark, such a rebel me :rolleyes: Most people seem to ditch them when they get home from hospital but I'm a stickler for following rules so like a good girl I wore them til now. Read a few days ago then that they are contraindicated if you have severe swelling, so what the bloody hell were they putting them on me for so! No wonder fluid was pooling at my ankles for a week after :mad:

• Advertisement

I didn't get compression stockings on either of my c sections! My bp has finally started coming down getting reading in the 70s now so hopefully reducing meds is on way! I'm a bit sore today which I haven't been hopefully it's nothing, have weekly bp checkups so will get it looked at anyway

What! No sexy green stockings that made me roast and die in the abnormal April heat! Damn you :P Ah I was happy enough to wear them for a long while because there's a history of clots in my family so obviously want to avoid that, but seeing and hearing of everyone else who just abandoned them after a few days or weeks really p!ssed me off!

I'm getting bp readings in the 60's now, very odd to see. Have run into a breastfeeding problem but have sought advice and am doing all I can, just gotta keep warm to avoid hideous pain, fun times :)

Glad everyone is doing so well! I have a stokke baby carrier as it does the toddler to - love it, but if baby is hungry then I cannot use it as the boobs are too close!!!

Very windy baby here, poor chicken.

No compression stockings here either! I did have Innohep injections for each of the 5 nights I was in hospital but that was it.

Think I'll probably get a stretchy wrap too, I like the look of the JPMBB but will try a few on and see then.

Fingers crossed you're not on the meds for much longer. The only thing I've to take now is iron - Galfer gave me horrific stomach cramps and had me running to the toilet every few minutes. On spatone now, much lower level of iron but at least I can take it although it's having the opposite effect on my stomach!

I think I'm addicted to baby cuddles!

I got the injections too. Everybody that had a section in the hospital I was in had the stockings on, weird that it differs so, "next time" I'd wear them for 2 weeks max I think.

I would've gotten a jpmbb except they are meant to be very warm, I think the Kari Me is a bit lighter, my husband overheats all the time so went with this one. They are so cute snuggled up in them, my boy has been asleep on me all afternoon while I made dinner, baked bread and made goodies for later :)

• Advertisement

Good to know about the JPMBB - I'll keep that in mind! Little miss has been asleep on my chest all afternoon too but I haven't been able to move!

Spotty if you lived closer id be over for some bread and goodies!!!

Having a busy toddler too means very little gets done around here!

Didn't hear of anybody in the coombe getting the compression tights, got the injection too. I suppose different policies in different policies. I'm rh negative and some hospitals give the anti d for everybody before full term, the Coombe only give it if the blood test shows mixing of blood and baby rh positive.

I know this is minor in the scheme of things but feels envious of these babies that sleep through the night from an early age!! My first wasn't the best sleeper and my new man is more of a cat napper too!

traineeacc wrote: »
    I know this is minor in the scheme of things but feels envious of these babies that sleep through the night from an early age!! My first wasn't the best sleeper and my new man is more of a cat napper too!

It's a myth!!! That is what I tell myself!

Spotty you are some woman!

It's a myth!!! That is what I tell myself!

Spotty you are some woman!

Why what did I do?!

Baby waking every 1-1.5hrs tonight/this morning, grrreat. So tired, while husband is having a great night's sleep.

My friends baby slept all the time, all night, all day, through feeds, nappy changes, everything.

Our niece was the same and I would have thought it was a myth only we minded her over night when she was 2 months old and she slept 7-7!! I didn't sleep a wink checking to see if she was breathing! My 3 year old only does that in recent times!!!

Why what did I do?!

Baby waking every 1-1.5hrs tonight/this morning, grrreat. So tired, while husband is having a great night's sleep.

My friends baby slept all the time, all night, all day, through feeds, nappy changes, everything.

Baking etc....I can barely make toast :-)

I love baking, there's plenty I can't do :) I ignore all things like hanging up clothes, sorting housey paperwork, cleaning, recycling, I just baked instead :)

Just awake from a dream where I was back in hospital for what I thought was one follow up test or something, and they told me I'd have to go back as an inpatient soon so they could do more serious tests or something. Rotten dream, I was heartbroken in it :(

I'm the opposite spotty! No good at baking cooking etc but give me the paper work any day! Occupational hazard I reckon!

Just met a girl who has a son a week older than mine and he is downing 8oz a feed!!!! I though my wee man was doing good at 4oz!

8oz!! That sounds a bit too much if anything! I have to say fair play to women who breastfeed, I'm not selfless enough - I'd be ready to murder my husband if he was getting a great nights sleep and I was up several times.

• Advertisement

I hear ya angel! I tried very unsuccessfully on my first to breast feed.

8oz seems nuts to me sure where do you go in a couple of months increasing it. He was 12lbs born and sleeps 12 hours at night, he actually looks like a 3 or 4 months old makes my man seem so teeny and he is about 9 and a half pounds now

8oz!! That sounds a bit too much if anything! I have to say fair play to women who breastfeed, I'm not selfless enough - I'd be ready to murder my husband if he was getting a great nights sleep and I was up several times.

Oh but theres a system, I feed him, husband winds him if needed, changes nappy, and spent up to an hour swaying baby to sleep at all hours while I dove under the covers, before I decided I was fecking swaddling him and that was that. He used to also get up and lift baby to me when I was still sore from section, and he gets me tea or toast on command at any hour or gets up to get me nappy/clothes changing stuff :) Sometimes I change nappy as well as feed and he often has no wind so I don't wake him then, I feel bad waking him when he has a long day of work ahead of him and I can just lie on the couch all day if I choose to. I think I'd die if I had to get up to get a bottle at night, cold house, bare feet, noooo :D

This morning I made him get up at 8 with baby, I slept til 10.30, he brought him for a feed, then I went back to sleep til 12.30pm, BLISS!

Spotty your husband sounds amazing! Might send mine down for a few days for some lessons!!!

I thought that was kinda standard stuff when you've a new first baby, share the torturous nights when possible??

We did share the night feeds no doubt but yours is extra good!

We share on weekends but week nights we share until first feed and then hubby goes to the spare bed. It is harder with a toddler as days lying on the couch involve Thomas!!!!

I am so tired. He fed every 2 hrs from midnight, takes basically an hour to feed change wind and get him back to sleep, then he'd wake again an hour later :( I think some of it was because of tummy pain rather than hunger but either way we were awake a lot!

We share on weekends but week nights we share until first feed and then hubby goes to the spare bed. It is harder with a toddler as days lying on the couch involve Thomas!!!!

That's the way we work it and if toddler stirs during the night my husband tends to him! We are firman sam fans in this house! I can almost quote full episodes at this stage!

Unfortunately the toddler ONLY wants mammy!! Unless mammy is out, then daddy is great!

• Advertisement

They are clever little things! How has he taken to the new baby?

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

Ladies, just checking if you all have had your babies and if so, are ready for your chat thread to be moved to Newborn and Toddlers, or are we waiting on a few overdue stragglers :P ?

As with the other threads that move over, all your posts will be unchanged, and the thread will still show up on your subscribed threads lists as usual, just with a new name.

it is going as well as to be expected...a few instances of throwing things....and hitting but all in all well!

May change when baby starts moving and taking toys!

Similar here, 99% of the time no hassle just the odd jealous outburst. I do feel for him it is a massive change

spotty my husband does help out too but it definitely sounds like yours is top of the class!

Baby was very cooperative this morning, woke for a bottle at 8, back down at 9 and slept until 12.30 - felt so luxurious still being in bed at that time. I think it's actually going to be harder when she is older and in more of a routine. She still sleeps so much at the moment that I'm getting plenty of rest

My husband is currently sitting here in a lovely restaurant with baby in sling on him after getting many admiring looks from women in mother care ha. I told him he's apparently top of the class :)

I think it's definitely easier when they're tiny, much more lying around time while they nap and they sleep so much. We've been out for so many meals and days out in the last 4 weeks because it's so easy when hes small and portable and mostly asleep!

He's 6 weeks old today, the state I was in this time 6 weeks ago is a far cry from the happy relaxed mum, dad and baby out and about today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭Ms2011

In our house babs has her last feed at 10:30pm, wakes at 4am for her next feed which I do ( hubby gets up for work at 5:20am), she's back down by 4:30am then she'll usually get up at 7/7:30am when the 3 yr old gets up.
    The pay off to the good night time routine is that she only catnaps during the day & while she is awake she wants to be in your arms which is hard when you've another child wanting your attention.
    At the weekend I take both kids down in the moring & let hubby sleep on on a Saturday & he does the same on a Sunday so we both get to recharge our batteries:)

Finally got discharged from the hospital physio today, just back for my 6 week check up next week & then I am free from maternity hospitals:-D

I'm sure you will be delighted to be free ms. I'm still in for bp for another while I think, will know more at 6 week checkup.

Your routine is similar to ours, dream feed between 10 and 11 and then down until anytime after 3, back until 6.30\7ish. Toddler up bright as a button then!

Spotty I'm so glad to hear you are in such good form. We have both come a long way with the bp.

No routine here yet...just eats every three hours or so regardless.

Yeah it is great when they are small! I always think it is gas that dads get praise by society for changing a nappy....we get puked on and no praise :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement