Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

April 2015 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Wow...never eating an orange again while breastfeeding...on the other hand baby is pooping again!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Yeah I was told to avoid drinking fruit juice/orange juice. But they said it gives bf babies the runs...what newborn bf baby doesn't have the runs??

It's cruel to let someone sleep for 1.5-2hr patches, what sort of torturous dictator have we brought into our home??!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

I know :-( but we love them all the same!

traineeacc wrote: »
    I know :-( but we love them all the same!

Ah sure I was losing the will to live at about 7.30am, after 4 hours of broken sleep, and next thing he's wide awake and being adorable and I was happy out to be awake!

Reality has hit again now though :pac: :pac: Husband gone since 5am and not back til 10pm, and I'm off to a bad start with that night, and a baby that is waking every few minutes or sleeping soundly on me. Mentally skipping ahead to Tuesday when I can relax and will have some daytime help...but will be doing nights on my own, always a trade off!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Please talk to your gp. Hormonal changes affects moods after having a baby but if in doubt too talk to your gp. It is hard there is no doubt and I'm finding it harder have a busy toddler and a new born but I get out of the house every day without fail and have joined a baby massage class. Mixing with other adults definitely helps. Have you family or friends near by you could get out for a coffee with?

Is this your first? My doc reckons for 6 weeks hormones are all over the place, I have just passed the 6 week mark and it honestly does get easier. We are starting to get a routine and have got a couple of 5 hour stretches at night. Hang in there but no harm chatting to your gp too

• Advertisement

I know it's so tough I was an obsessive career woman before my first and found it hard going from leading a large time in high profile projects to being at home, fast forward a couple of months and I am more than happy to take a step back to get my 2 boys to school going age and resume career. I never thought I'd be like that, I struggled with my first untile a month of 2 in and it just clicked. It will for you too. It's a mega change that you just can't possible prepare for

Baby4 does your baby have to be in a routine during the day? Don't give yourself stress over that. My guy has pretty much zero routine other than feeding every 2 hours, day and night. I'm so jealous reading about people's babies here sleeping 4-5 hour stretches, that's more sleep than I got all night last night! During the day I just wait until he's fed, changed and in a good mood or asleep and I go out if I want, either just for a walk, to a local baby group, to visit a friend. I don't have any family nearby so I've been home for a week long visit with baby and am doing it again next week. My guy also cries a lot, it's his go-to complaint system but I don't let him cry it out, he's too little imo and he's 7 weeks old, when he cries something is wrong and he needs cuddles at least.

I'm used to being at home for days at a time because I work from home but I can imagine it must be tough to get used to when you were going out to work all day.

While I agree that you should talk to your GP if going back to work early is something that you want to consider then do (once any issues you are having are sorted). My mum was working 2 jobs when she was pregnant with me and had been for a few years, she was bored stiff spending all day at home with a boring (but adorable obviously :p) baby. She went back to work when I was 12 weeks old and was much happier once that routine was back in place.

You seem to be really on the ball though and coping very well (not panicking) and seeking help, which is great x

Hi baby4 where are you based? I am in north Dublin and have a group of mammy friends who meet regularly if you are near. clap handies are good to get out for an hour.

Baby cinema also good - check your local cinema. I echo what the others have said. Also routines are a myth at this age. Take care of you x

Lots of screaming and crying here today :( Husband took car with buggy and sling in it, so have basically sat holding him since 6am pretty much unable to comfort him or figure out whats wrong. Sometimes he's nearly asleep, or in good form looking around, and all of a sudden will start crying, it isn't like his tummy pain or hungry cries. Went for a walk around the garden and chilled out, so distraction fixed whatever it was, but as soon as we came in he started again. He slept great from 9am-12 (I didn't! sad face), but only random 15 minutes here and there since.

I won't make the mistake if leaving the sling in the car again!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Gonzp

Hi ladies,

Baby4 have a chat to your doctor.... I'm kinda feeling like that myself a little. Finding it hard with two babies....sometimes I think Im going mad.

My little woman is 8 weeks tomorrow and she s flying it now. Last night she slept from 7:30 till 3:30 last night...thats 8 hours without a bottle. I tried dresm feeding her around 11 but she wouldnt take it. We decided to leave her till she woke then. She has slept well at times before, but that was amazing. If we could continue on thst path, we d be so lucky. I think its karma for my first, she didnt sleep all night until she was about 15 months, would wake and scream maybe 10 times a night....

Keep at it ladies, we wont know it till they re in school

Gonzp my 2 boys sound like your 2 girls! My first barely slept through until he was 2 thankfully not he does most nights. This wee man is great doing 4-5 hour stretches at night now not every night but enough for mammy and daddy to recharge a little. 2 is tough going what is the age difference between yours?

Hi again baby4. Sorry a bit easier to type with the toddler in bed!

I was thinking last night of when I became a mam for the first time and the overwhelming emotions. Since I can remember I wanted to be a mother; so when it happened I thought I was prepared! I so wasn't. I spent nights walking the hall in tears thinking we cannot co-sleep it will create bad habits - I shouldn't have listened to myslelf...at this age they are still so new to the world and need the one person they love most. Which is so hard because you need a break. They are a shadow who doesn't understand that mammy is only going for a five minute shower.

I did leave baby in their cot crying the odd times just to get five minutes as I came back refreshed/ calm and therefore a better mammy.

Life has changed so completely you cannot imagine it before the baby comes.

There is a thread in here on post natal depression which may be worth a read. You are doing a great job and it does get easier. Could someone even take the baby for a walk outside the house - being completely alone for ten minutes always helps me and I did sometimes long for my life pre-baby - that is ok to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aveen

Baby4 I was just reading about boards and came across you're post I'm from dec 2014. Hormones are horrible post baby until about 8weeks, week 6 was So bad with me, crying , wanted my old life back plus next week had my first period post baby :-(. Do tell your OP & GP, but it good you notice yourself.
    Routine are nt great at that age due to grow spuths, I didn't find routine to about 12weeks but things did get much better after week 6. My DS criedand was uncomfortable due to gas and than constipation it was a minefield for me as ftm. Please hang in there you doing you're best and your little adoring you so much, crying the only way they commicate. Hope you feel stronger soon :-)

traineeacc wrote: »
    Gonzp my 2 boys sound like your 2 girls! My first barely slept through until he was 2 thankfully not he does most nights. This wee man is great doing 4-5 hour stretches at night now not every night but enough for mammy and daddy to recharge a little. 2 is tough going what is the age difference between yours?

There is 16 months between my two little girls.... and on some days its very hard. I can cry over the simplest of things.....but I know that it'll pass....it'll get easier. Very hard to find time for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Baby4 hope you're feeling better, on my first my husband wasn't working so he was at home to help for the first 4 months & I still found the adjustment in our lives ( not to mention the tiredness) v.hard. But before you know it you'll be looking back on this time & realise what a good job you did, it's just hard to see the wood for the trees at the time. My only advice is to follow baby's lead & let them fall into their own routinue in time, doing otherwise is like swimming against the tide & will just leave you & baby frustrated x

• Advertisement

Anyone who's baby isn't sleeping please don't hate me for posting this but I just can't believe the stretch I'm getting out of her.
    Put her down at 10:30pm the last 2 nights & she's slept until 5:30am, had a bottle & back down until 9am :eek:
    My first never slept like that this young, don't know myself:)
    Now to get her to nap during the day & I'll be sorted :D

Nice! We got from 10.30 to 3.45 this morning and were chuffed!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Ms2011 we've had same last two nights! Asleep at 11.30, up at 6.30/7 then back down until 10.30/11!! Not sure what's going on but I'll take it. Both nights she woke at4 and mooched a bit - I gave her soother and put on white noise machine while I went to make bottle and by time I came back into bedroom to get her she was asleep!

We got 11.30-2.30 of straight sleep last night and I was delighted ha :D

Went on a very long day out today involving 4hrs in total of car journey, 2 ferry rides in stormy conditions and lunch in a posh hotel. Himself was an angel, slept in car and on ferry, slept in his sling through lunch while tourists admired him, and had very efficient feeds when we stopped for them. Great way to spend the day he turned 8 weeks old :)

We got same last 2 nights! 2 nights 10.30 -4.30/5 I hope I haven't cursed it now. He is also pushing up his feed amount so I'm sure that is a big help too. So funny to see the little smiles now, love the way he saves them for dada!!!

Spotty not sure I would fancy ferry in the wind that's out there today!! It's pretty rough in Dublin. How is your bp doing?

How much are your bottle fed babas having? Mine is 4.5 weeks and is on 5oz bottles - only drains the odd one but was completely finishing 4oz before we moved up

Trainee bp is totally normal still on meds but hoping to get dose reduced to minimum this week as my consultant is back. My prescription is up tomorrow so perfect opportunity to change it. How's yours?

Ferry was as awful as youd imagine, waves smacking front car!

How much are your bottle fed babas having? Mine is 4.5 weeks and is on 5oz bottles - only drains the odd one but was completely finishing 4oz before we moved up

He has been finishing 5oz every 3.5 ish hours moved up to 6 but not finishing them. He is 7 weeks now

• Advertisement

7 weeks old now. I make up 3 5oz bottles for the late night/morning feeds & 3 6oz bottles for the day/evening bottles. She feeds less just before bed & early morning & will sometime leave an oz or two. But she will empty all her 6oz bottles during the day. I figure she tanks up during the day & that's why she sleeps so well during the night.

Just because i said earlier that bp is normal it was higher tonight, 124/92 but went to 109/80-78 after a few minutes. I know the odd spike is normal but still annoying! Want this bp saga to be over.

Just because i said earlier that bp is normal it was higher tonight, 124/92 but went to 109/80-78 after a few minutes. I know the odd spike is normal but still annoying! Want this bp saga to be over.

Don't blame you it's dragging on isn't it!! Fingers crossed with consultant

That's not even too bad at all, you are nearly there. I was 10 weeks first time, they think it will take a little longer this time but I'm getting there slowly. I'm not stressing about it (yet!)

You are doing great and you will get there, I was so much worse than you and I do so try not to worry.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    7 weeks old now. I make up 3 5oz bottles for the late night/morning feeds & 3 6oz bottles for the day/evening bottles. She feeds less just before bed & early morning & will sometime leave an oz or two. But she will empty all her 6oz bottles during the day. I figure she tanks up during the day & that's why she sleeps so well during the night.

My little one will only drink 4 oz max at any feed, three is the usual. Has anyone any tips on how to get more into her and to feed less....P.S.. she s heafing for 9 weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

How many bottles is he having in 24hrs?
    My little guy is 5 weeks Friday and is taking eight bottles in 24hrs, alternating between 3 to 4 oz some feeds and 5 oz others. i honestly think he has hollow legs and cant see us ever getting into any semblance of a routine :(

• Advertisement

Gonzp wrote: »
    My little one will only drink 4 oz max at any feed, three is the usual. Has anyone any tips on how to get more into her and to feed less....P.S.. she s heafing for 9 weeks now

Would the bottle teet be 2 slow flowing?

I never thought of the teet being too slow. We spent the first month dealing with reflux (or reflux like symptoms) so there was no routine at all and we didn't like to push her to drink loads because she d throw it all up. She drinks maybe every three hours, sometimes even every two hours. She goes for long stretches at night and even then she ll only take small amounts.... 3 ozs is a very small amount for a 9 month old...might try her with a faster teet and see what happens with that..

We moved up a size for one month plus and he drinks much better he was almost asleep half way through a bottle with the effort of the sucking! I remembered my first was the same too! Although if you are getting good night stretches they may just be a small feeder nothing wrong with that. They know what they need I think

I make up a 6oz bottle for the daytime, she will savage the first 3oz & come back & forth to the rest over the next 2 hours.We upped the teats too as I thought she was getting tired halfway through but it had little effect. As my PHN said she's just a grazer & some babies are like that. It is a pain as it can feel like you're constantly feeding her but she's a good sleeper at night so I can't really complain. The only time she finishes a bottle from start to finish is her 5oz one after her 10:30pm-5:30am stretch at night.

How many bottles is he having in 24hrs?
    My little guy is 5 weeks Friday and is taking eight bottles in 24hrs, alternating between 3 to 4 oz some feeds and 5 oz others. i honestly think he has hollow legs and cant see us ever getting into any semblance of a routine :(

She's having six bottles in 24 hours - sometimes only five! Last night she had bottle at 12.30 and it was 8.30 before the next one! She's big though, she was 9lb when she was born and is almost 10 now so I think that helps as she can go a bit longer without feeding

• Advertisement

12.30 -8.30 sleep would be amazing!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

My little man is two weeks old tomorrow he drinks 2-3 oz every 2-3 hours is this about right or should he be on more or less? He starts crying and the only thing that will satisfy him is a bottle but he has been sick a few times after his bottles. He seems to always be hungry the poor little thing hands to his mouth etc

Two hours is far too long to sleep, let's do 1.5 hours between feeds instead - said no one ever >:(

That's hard going spotty. I couldn't function and look after my 3 year old too on that little sleep. Do you nap during the day?

Once I napped while he did, 2 days ago from 7pm-8.30pm. I'm not great at sleeping during the day unless absolutely exhausted, and at the moment I'm back home so if I sleep I miss valuable chances to catch up with friends and family. I still don't sleep when its just me and baby at home, I'm either not tired, want to do stuff or try and can't.

I'm grand during the day, it's just at night it kills md. Basically I'd be fine if he just slept like 2 x 4hr blocks or one 5-6 hr block!

When he wakes Spotty does he stay awake long? Do you co-sleep? Have you tried lying down feeding him??

My lady woke at 4:30 this morning, last week I would have been delighted with that but this week after her sleeping until 5:30 I'm like 'why are you awake SO early' :D
    Amazing how quickly your prespective can change :)

Ms2011 wrote: »
    When he wakes Spotty does he stay awake long? Do you co-sleep? Have you tried lying down feeding him??

He stays awake 15-45 minutes, depending on how much he feeds, or how efficiently, sometimes if he's falling asleep it takes longer but he'll wake if I go to put him down when he's still hungry or has more wind. We don't co sleep at home because the bed isn't big enough for him to sleep with us, a standard double. I'm away at the moment in a double bed on my own but when I've tried putting him sleeping beside me he's having none of it, he either wants to be swaddled (so in his cot) or on me, beside me is no good he just screams.

If I lay down to feed him at night I would definitely fall asleep, and I wouldn't be comfortable falling asleep so close to him, even if I did manage to not suffocate him with my boob I would sleep so badly because I'd jerk awake thinking I had done the above.

I have to say I loved lying down feeding especially in the hospital as she wouldn't sleep in the plastic cot. I would just latch her on, fall asleep & she would fall asleep & unlatch herself when she was full. I was only ever half asleep but it was better than no sleep at that stage. I have big boobs but once she was latched on right her nose was always free to breath.
    She was never a windy baby though so I didn't have to wind her, I'd just switch sides when she woke & went back to sleep. It's one of the things I miss about feeding her myself :(

I didn't have the option of feeding him in bed in hospital because he was in special care so just learned to feed him sitting up, with the c section I wouldn't have found lying down feeding him comfortable anyway. I tried it once at home and found the angle really awkward, and he likes lying on me rather than beside me, on me is what he got used to in scbu. He doesn't really need winding either, usually burps himself if he needs to, but again I just got into the habit of ending a feed by sitting him up straight for a minute before putting him into the cot because thats what I had to do in scbu, they were rigid about the routine.

After a sudden evening of screaming and crying with (I'm assuming) tummy wind pain the only thing that calmed him was some skin to skin cuddles, my last ditch attempt which worked! He slept 3-3.5hrs, 2hrs, 2hrs, and 1.5hrs. He has such a definite routine, just not an easy one ha :)

Off gallivanting again today to a garden show in Cork, have been out visiting, lunching, walking every day since Saturday, making the most of my short maternity leave!

Yeah my first used to love sleeping on me too, that's the hardest part about them being in the nicu is you get all cuddled up with them & then you've to put them back in the cot & go back down to the ward. Only good thing was all the walking up & back to him a few times a day really helped me recover fromtl the section :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement