Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireworks in Dublin circa 2000

Options
  • 03-08-2014 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi all, can someone help? For some reason I can't remember what the fireworks display in Dublin in the early 00's was called. Used to be an annual thing, and I think one of the radio stations had music in time with them? Then I think they moved them to a different place each year. Tried the google to no avail...anyone know what it was called?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The Skyfest.
    7up sponsored it I think.
    Then it moved to Cashel one year... Prob to expensive to run post Celtic tiger.

Lots more info here
    http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyfest

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

I am eternally grateful, been racking the brains for an hour coming up with every combination of words! Skyfest is the one!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was it cancelled one year because it was too windy ? It drew huge crowds in Dublin, I'm sure the city centre traders loved having it on, they should really bring it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

think it was cancelled for the foot and mouth disease outbreak in 2001

• Registered Users Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I remember this. They use to have the fireworks synced to music. RTE got a lot of criticism for being seemingly unable to film the thing properly.

It was great. Don't know why they stopped it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

It was a great show, remember watching it from the quays then another time standing on a hill in Dublin 12 with the radio on watching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wonder what it cost to put on. IIRC it was a very professional show, I think the company who does pyrotechnics at Olympics and the like was behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Advertisement