Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ploughing Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,597 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sam Kade wrote: »
    One day with the wife on board is plenty all they want to do is go into every tent with clothes or jewellery :mad: except Whelan of course she would be more farming orientated :D
    hate those tents, could they not just have a massive shed with all those stands, cant get into those tents and cant get out of them either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

whelan2 wrote: »
    the best bit of any year i went to the ploughing was the lads putting the fergie 20 together and being timed. Was brilliant to see
    I went to a threshing in the neighbouring parish a few years back and they had the fergie taken apart ready to put it back together. We were waiting ages and nothing happening someone said it will be 15 minutes go into the hall for tea first :) went in for tea and when we came out sure enough one of the mechanics was starting it up after putting it back together :mad: a neighbour told me they did it in 10-15 minutes can't remember which.

Reggie. wrote: »
    We divide and conquer. Sent her on her way and meet up at a certain time

It's the only solution

• Registered Users Posts: 37 john8984

Yes I am going. I was there last year, it was very easy to get in and out of the site, a great location and well managed by the stewards and Gardai.
    Always a great exhibition and well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

john8984 wrote: »
    Yes I am going. I was there last year, it was very easy to get in and out of the site, a great location and well managed by the stewards and Gardai.
    Always a great exhibition and well worth a visit.

Great spot for it alright. Routes were great compared to other years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Will be there 10 days before hand then we have a stand for the 3 days and then 7 days after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

dzer2 wrote: »
    Will be there 10 days before hand then we have a stand for the 3 days and then 7 days after

Youll be busy in September so. Must be a big stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

dzer2 wrote: »

Are ya building the site or putting in a stand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Youll be busy in September so. Must be a big stand?
    Reggie. wrote: »
    Are ya building the site or putting in a stand :D

Helping with the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

I don't understand this at all. If you picked up the phone this morning you'd get a quote for both by lunch

Id normally agree but we wondered around all the different crushes at the ploughing the year before we changed the head gate here and it was only from playing around with them and looking at the options out there that we knew we were happy with the gate. Cant fault the one we got but some of the ones we looked at at the ploughin were atrocious IMO.. Also picked up several handy ideas looking at the way they have the races set up, stuff like that you cant always pick up on from a catalogue or over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The ploughing is being ruined and its either greed or ego from what I can see..
    The constant need to have bigger numbers each year means that they are bringing in all sorts of tat and attracting the wrong people and stands..

Get rid of the funfair, toys and clothes other than farming or work clothing. Personally I don't see the need for a bar either.
    Schools need to be told to keep the bus loads of kids in the damn schools and teach manners for the day. Does it really need a stage with tin whistles and irish dancers ?? Really the stage would be better for the lads rebuilding the 20's where we could all see it clearly..

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

We go most years for one day, I've never seen any fashion or the likes! We also had a buggy with us last year and it was great young lad well capable of walking but he could hop in and out at his leisure and we had a nice rucksack of stuff in the basket. I seen plenty with buggies that were not suited to the terrain that certInly wouldn't make it easy. Buggy was actually handy at time to get through crowds! Over the years we have gotten better prices for various things than you would outside of the event. There is usually a few things we want to do so check out the site maps before we go have an idea of where they are, bits it's also nice to have a gander at alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Zr105 wrote: »
    Id normally agree but we wondered around all the different crushes at the ploughing the year before we changed the head gate here and it was only from playing around with them and looking at the options out there that we knew we were happy with the gate. Cant fault the one we got but some of the ones we looked at at the ploughin were atrocious IMO.. Also picked up several handy ideas looking at the way they have the races set up, stuff like that you cant always pick up on from a catalogue or over the phone.

measuring tape , note pad and camera phone ,

have picked up many ideas & saved a lot of €,s by going diy with same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

jt65 wrote: »
    measuring tape , note pad and camera phone ,

have picked up many ideas & saved a lot of €,s by going diy with same.

I dont bother to much with the tape! Did engineering in college so i tend to take the basic idea of what I've seen and try to improve on it if i can! Often times something I've seen will be mulled around in my head over time and will eventually be brought into life ;)

hopefully ill be heading this year and on my list is looking at the way that some of the crushes can be narrowed in quick and simply for calves! Already have an simple idea floating about but it could be fidly so looking to improve! Also want to look at a few sliding backing gates for the crush to but think there's only really one that I've seen before!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

I thought I saw something years ago in the journal to narrow the crush to work with calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

we always went from once the kids were 6 years old they were like sat navs looked at map for hours before going in and once they were able to use mobiles were able to direct you around no problem. i took son and daughter and eldest daughter went with mammy to fashion shows , stove stands and household,food stands, health stores etc, were house renovating so ideal and offers were far better at ploughing than instore. as for kids they should go with parents not buses ,went all time until Wexford a few years ago- knew road would be disaster and havent been since, yet all three still ask are we going this year and are in mid twenties now still consider it family outing,we stayed B&B and made a mini holiday of it.considering it this year (age catching up i guess,same as hurling championships)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Theres a thread called guntherin, look it up, theres a great backing gate on it. It sits on the side bar.
    I dont bother to much with the tape! Did engineering in college so i tend to take the basic idea of what I've seen and try to improve on it if i can! Often times something I've seen will be mulled around in my head over time and will eventually be brought into life ;)

hopefully ill be heading this year and on my list is looking at the way that some of the crushes can be narrowed in quick and simply for calves! Already have an simple idea floating about but it could be fidly so looking to improve! Also want to look at a few sliding backing gates for the crush to but think there's only really one that I've seen before!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Theres a thread called guntherin, look it up, theres a great backing gate on it. It sits on the side bar.

would any of you change the layout of stands, you arrive back to middle lane shall we say not near Ploughing Headquarters stand but 200 metres away and wind up walking in circles to figure which is row D or E or E or F if you didn't know what trade stand is on what row.ie the trade stands are entered in catalogue listing alphabetically or am i the only amadawn getting confused

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

I'll go along too, Ive been four Or five I'd the last few years, good place to get some ideas and the craic is normally mighty

• Advertisement

I'll go along too, Ive been four Or five I'd the last few years, good place to get some ideas and the craic is normally mighty
    great place for anyone building a house looking for ideas re heating as well as quotations i remember when building house and renovating later on ,
    but i think they could do without the drink tents, was in North Cork at ploughing for 2 days, some years ago ,flooded and miserable would be charitable description , what my abiding memory of it is, a fella coming out of drink tent and instead of walking along steel walkway decided to take smooth looking shortcut across to other track, this was used by loadalls and other machinery and was in fact deeply rutted but due to floods was floating mud, poor chap walked in and fell one arm and leg of nice grey suit and striped shirt and side of his head disappeared , but he eventually got himself out.
    'for sympathy he was videoed and photographed by bystanders laughing and pointing at him , he was destroyed with mud, one drink too many i guess and no food probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I have a few tickets here if anyone wants them, i wont be going this year.

Miname wrote: »
    I have a few tickets here if anyone wants them, i wont be going this year.

How much

sandydan wrote: »
    great place for anyone building a house looking for ideas re heating as well as quotations i remember when building house and renovating later on ,
    but i think they could do without the drink tents, was in North Cork at ploughing for 2 days, some years ago ,flooded and miserable would be charitable description , what my abiding memory of it is, a fella coming out of drink tent and instead of walking along steel walkway decided to take smooth looking shortcut across to other track, this was used by loadalls and other machinery and was in fact deeply rutted but due to floods was floating mud, poor chap walked in and fell one arm and leg of nice grey suit and striped shirt and side of his head disappeared , but he eventually got himself out.
    'for sympathy he was videoed and photographed by bystanders laughing and pointing at him , he was destroyed with mud, one drink too many i guess and no food probably.

Thatd sober a fella up anyway, I agree with you about the house building stuff, even the insulation stuff and the solar panels and all that is interesting even if your not building ,

How much
    Free, pm somewhere to send them onto. I sometimes end up with them, got these ones off the vet.

Free, pm somewhere to send them onto. I sometimes end up with them, got these ones off the vet.

could do with vet like him :) is he reasonable to deal with too

Wait for it your pm box will get flooded with the mention of "free"

could do with vet like him :) is he reasonable to deal with too
    Not too bad in fairness, loves saying that ones going to die though. I think its albex dosing thats giving them out with double packs of drench.

Not too bad in fairness, loves saying that ones going to die though. I think its albex dosing thats giving them out with double packs of drench.

just to make you appreciate the thought that he may be miracle worker if they survive, or else hinting that you should send for him more often:D

• Advertisement

just to make you appreciate the thought that he may be miracle worker if they survive, or else hinting that you should send for him more often:D
    Or just covering his arse in case the animal dies ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement