Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what in under god does this mean lads

• 04-08-2014 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

(B) Must have a proven proficiency in two languages, one of which must be Irish or English. Such competency may be proven by achieving the relevant grades or qualifications specified in (A) above, or for English or Irish through such assessments as set out by the Public Appointments Service.

what in under god does this mean ...... if i have a D3 in irish and english do i have to do a test for the pas all well or not ............ these are not clear instructions there like what you would find in a diy thing from argos :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

No, a D3 in English and Irish is proven proficiency in 2 languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jhon boy

cheer lad i owe you one i was starting to pull my hairs out at this lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

No, a D3 in English and Irish is proven proficiency in 2 languages.

Pass or honours?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jhon boy

pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

jhon boy wrote: »
    pass

Cheers.

I personally wouldn't call that proficiency in either language

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Junior Cert or Leaving Cert? It doesn't specify which for languages but I would imagine it's at least LC level you would need for each language

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Junior Cert or Leaving Cert? It doesn't specify which for languages but I would imagine it's at least LC level you would need for each language

(A) (i) Have obtained an Irish Leaving Certificate with a grade D3 minimum in five subjects at ordinary level, or
    (ii) have a Level 5 Certificate (Major award) on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ), or
    (iii) have a qualification that, in the opinion of the Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is of a standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is not lower than the standard of the qualification specified at (i) and (ii) above
    AND

(B) Must have a proven proficiency in two languages, one of which must be Irish or English. Such competency may be proven by achieving the relevant grades or qualifications specified in (A) above, or for English or Irish through such assessments as set out by the Public Appointments Service.

If read as a whole it does specify D3 in ordinary level leaving cert as the minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

say you had the level 5 qualification would you still need the 2 languages?

Yep. You need the two languages no matter what, then its the LC or at least a level 5 or equivalent

Bloodwing wrote: »
    (A) (i) Have obtained an Irish Leaving Certificate with a grade D3 minimum in five subjects at ordinary level, or
    (ii) have a Level 5 Certificate (Major award) on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ), or
    (iii) have a qualification that, in the opinion of the Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is of a standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is not lower than the standard of the qualification specified at (i) and (ii) above
    AND

If read as a whole it does specify D3 in ordinary level leaving cert as the minimum.

But if you only did two languages, could you fail Irish and still pass the Leaving meaning you wouldn't have the two languages passed? It's a bit ambiguous in my opinion though I do think you are right

• Advertisement

Yep. You need the two languages no matter what, then its the LC or at least a level 5 or equivalent

i wonder where you'd stand if you were dyslexic. I mean they are usually exempt from irish or any other language in school..I'd say you'd get away with it there..

so I have the level 5 certificate.. where do i get the languages from?

carzony wrote: »
    i wonder where you'd stand if you were dyslexic. I mean they are usually exempt from irish or any other language in school..I'd say you'd get away with it there..

I don't think so. I'm not sure if a dyslexic person would get through the assessments considering the short time allowance in the online tests and I've heard a few saying they found the report writing very difficult. I'm not saying someone with dyslexia can't pass but I don't think they would get any preferential treatment. I may be wrong

**** it..

I might go back and do my leaving cert this year.. I'v been avoiding it for a while but might just bite the bullet.. I done LCA and it really was the worst decision I ever made.. I done the level 5 so I could go to college but Even if i went to college this year I still wouldnt have the minimum requirments to join..

as if it proves you can speak irish but that's another matter......

would anyone know? if i could just go back and get the languages? as i have the level 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

**** it..

I might go back and do my leaving cert this year.. I'v been avoiding it for a while but might just bite the bullet.. I done LCA and it really was the worst decision I ever made.. I done the level 5 so I could go to college but Even if i went to college this year I still wouldnt have the minimum requirments to join..

as if it proves you can speak irish but that's another matter......

would anyone know? if i could just go back and get the languages? as i have the level 5

Yes you can, you can go back and just do Irish if you wish, you can choose between 1 and 10 subjects to do, there is no minimum. You can also do it in your local secondary school if they are on the list, you just have to ask the principal permission and get him/her to sign a form.

Just did a quick Google and it says you've to do a minimum of 6 subjects for the leaving cert. Granted thats from wiki though

billie1b wrote: »

did you do it in the evenings mate? and what kind of price are we talking?

You can fire away and talk about it her ebut your best bet is the Leaving Cert forum here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=107

You can fire away and talk about it her ebut your best bet is the Leaving Cert forum here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=107

According to Billie you can just go back and do whatever subjects you want so that suits me.. I'll most probably do a college course this year and maybe apply for the leaving cert in the evenings if I can find one local:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In fairness, this batch of recruits is the first one that 'someone' (still trying to track down who) has deemed the LCA as unacceptable for Garda college entry, without informing the Department of Education, or the schools.

Nobody (and indeed no Department or body - Education, Justice, Public Service Commission, the Attorney General's office, they all blame each other) seems willing to be the one to take responsibility for the decision, which is interesting in itself.

I suspect a minion in an office who did not know it was previously accepted and quite possibly had never heard of the LCA. Along the lines of people in some schools who do not know what a PLC is.

• Advertisement

did you do it in the evenings mate? and what kind of price are we talking?

I studied at home, my nephew was doing his leaving the same year, I got the curriculum from him, books from my local library, mock exam papers in Easons, didn't think id manage it as I only gave myself 5 months to study. To be honest it cost me nothing as at the time I had a medical card, its free for medical card holders.
    Sorry for going off topic KERSPLAT!

spurious wrote: »
    In fairness, this batch of recruits is the first one that 'someone' (still trying to track down who) has deemed the LCA as unacceptable for Garda college entry, without informing the Department of Education, or the schools.

Nobody (and indeed no Department or body - Education, Justice, Public Service Commission, the Attorney General's office, they all blame each other) seems willing to be the one to take responsibility for the decision, which is interesting in itself.

I suspect a minion in an office who did not know it was previously accepted and quite possibly had never heard of the LCA. Along the lines of people in some schools who do not know what a PLC is.

They fecked my chances this year and I defo want to be ready for when they recruit again..

I spoke to a girl over in Crumlin college. According to her I can redo only English and irish in the evenings so that'll have to do me.. 200 per subject though :o:o

Advertisement