Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i learn Spanish in 22 mouths

• 04-08-2014 6:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

for the leaving cert pass only need 40 %D3 if i put in 2 hours a day from now to then could i get it cheers lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

jhon boy wrote: »
    for the leaving cert pass only need 40 %D3 if i put in 2 hours a day from now to then could i get it cheers lads

Some people can learn a new language in half a year, depends on how much you take in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yes. But one of those mouths will have to focus on punctuation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I was not aware that the Spanish language consisted of 22 mouths :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭pandoraj09

You could learn enough to pass ordinary level. It depends on your language ability though. Did you do French/German/Irish for Junior Cert? What level? Its also not good to start learning a language with the sole aim to get 40%. Is this just to get into college?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

I think both Japanese & Russian both only have 2 year courses that you're not meant to start until 5th year.. So if you could find a teacher for either of those it probably wouldn't take as long to get to a pass at OL. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭pandoraj09

I don't agree with the previous poster at all. Japanese and Russian are extremely complicated to learn...OL Spanish, if the OP has even an average ability in languages, would be well possible to pass in 2 hours tuition a week....I speak as a teacher of the language for 26 years!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    I don't agree with the previous poster at all. Japanese and Russian are extremely complicated to learn...OL Spanish, if the OP has even an average ability in languages, would be well possible to pass in 2 hours tuition a week....I speak as a teacher of the language for 26 years!!!

Very true. Not to mind having to learn a completely different alphabet

Spanish would be a safer bet than Japanese and Russian.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

pandoraj09 wrote: »

They are not that difficult for the standard needed for an LC OL pass. You could certainly do them in under a year. Many do and take the HL papers. They are only a two year course, whereas Spanish, French etc are 5 year courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

I have a close friend who was home schooled untill the beginning of 5th year. She joined us at the beginning of Senior cycle because she wanted to go to college in Ireland.

She had never studied a foreign language, in whatever Home-school system she was doing. But in our Secondary school a foreign language was compulsory, unless otherwise exempt. So she chose to learn Spanish and got an exemption from Irish. She did get the J.C books the Summer before 5th year and got grinds in 5th year to help with her oral, but by the end of 6th year this girl was on par with the top students in the class I.e the ones who spent countless Summers/ Easters doing exchanges etc. She had a perfect accent, perfect grammer and excellent vocab. It was all down to sheer hard work on her behalf.

Learning Spanish is definitely possible if you''re willing to put enough work in.

Advertisement