Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on career path

Options
  • 04-08-2014 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm in third year of an undergrad Forensic and Analytical course. As part of this year I'm looking for work experience and I have no idea what to do.

I'm interested in Entomology, anthropology and linguistics. However as there are so many options in this degree, I want to make sure what I do as experience could turn into a viable career path. I am hoping to do a masters after college. Does anyone know what I could do if I complete this forensic investigation and analysis course and then go on to do a masters in Forensic Anthropology, what would this enable me to do? I guess I can't do dissections, but body parts would be my speciality wouldn't it? Are there careers in it?

I can't find much on linguistics. Entomology seems to only be in England, as we bring Entomologists in when we need them. I don't mind going to England, Scotland or Wales for a few months.

Which of these do you think there are more jobs in? Or do you have opinions?

Thanks guys! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

From what I have heard forensic anthro in Ireland is almost an impossibility as there seems to be one or maybe two people involved in that area and similar to forensic pathology seems a closed-shop type of thing. Harsh but true. Unless you plan on going on to do a PhD in the area and are open to move away from Ireland to other jurisdictions I can't see forensic anthro being a viable career choice.

Having said that I think that entomology may be a better way of furthering your career in forensics as there seems to be a lack of these specialities here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Jennii.

I was thinking that about Entomology, but I don't think they're being sought after either.

My plan is to move to Canada, so anything they'd need there would be an option. I think Entomology would also suit in a nature job as the knowledge of insects would be valuable and transferable.

However as it will take a lot of saving to move to Canada, I would like a job in England/ Ireland first to save up for visas/house etc., for a few years. I know there is an Entomologist in Wales and that might be a good person to get in contact with for a few months experience this and next year. :)

Thank you for your help!

Have a look at Manlove Forensics in the UK. They have training courses (probably most useful after you graduate) and you could always see if you could talk to someone there about the entomology side of things or other areas: http://www.manloveforensics.co.uk/ecologysearch

Thank you. I'll have a wee look. I definitely want to do post grad courses. I'll see if they'd consider giving me work experience for now. :)

Manlove don't do work experience. I'm finding that with a lot of places that would be of interest :/

• Advertisement

Yes, I found that it was easier getting work experience after a postgrad degree. I heard that one of the forensic anthros in UCD offered some 1 or 2 weeks placements/internships in the forensic lab in Berlin during the summer time and had students from courses from Ireland and the UK over there.

Have a look at the CAHID centre in Dundee: http://cahid.dundee.ac.uk/

They may be able to advise you further. I believe they have a collaborative agreement with UCD.

Would they help me though as I'm in Sligo?
    I emailed a lot of german labs, as I'm fluent, but none were offering work experience :/

From what I heard CAHID are happy to help anyone who enquires. Or you could contact some Irish forensic scientists either at the State Pathology Office or in the 3rd level institutions.

As for the German internship I know someone who did it and she had to go through the Irish contact person to get into it. Another I know from the UK was not able to get onto an internship at a particular time but was still helped by the guys/girls in Ireland to get onto another internship in Germany.

I just emailed Dr Cunningham asking about experience. I have already been through their site and was already considering a masters with them haha, that might add a little to it :D Thank you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I got most of my internship and research opportunities by networking with faculty, PIs, lab directors, presenting papers, and attending conferences. I just noticed that the Entomological Society of America has a conference scheduled for 16-19 November 2014 in Portland, Oregon, USA. This looks like a networking gold mine, with over 3,000 researchers expected to attend.

• Advertisement

Oh wow, as absolutely incredible as that sounds, I just could not afford to go to America :( Sounds incredible though!!

Advertisement