Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Thai island?

• 04-08-2014 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

We're coming to the end of our honeymoon and we intend on relaxing for a week after our travels, the problem is, we don't know which islands to choose; before we came out, we intended on going to Koh Tao and Kob Samui, but talking to ppl on our travels, Phi Phi is leading the way by far!

Basically, we're looking for an island that we xan totally relax on, where we can do a few activities at our leisure and where there is a decent night life, i'm not talking Koh San Rd, just a few bars for a bit of craic.

Any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

For me Koh Toa was one of the best places I've been in my life. I didn't think much of Koh Samui. Phi Phi is on the other side of Thailand and is aimed at a more upmarket group, its beautiful and relaxed. Its probably worth checking out Krabi too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

80s Child wrote: »
    Howdy,

We're coming to the end of our honeymoon and we intend on relaxing for a week after our travels, the problem is, we don't know which islands to choose; before we came out, we intended on going to Koh Tao and Kob Samui, but talking to ppl on our travels, Phi Phi is leading the way by far!

Basically, we're looking for an island that we xan totally relax on, where we can do a few activities at our leisure and where there is a decent night life, i'm not talking Koh San Rd, just a few bars for a bit of craic.

Any suggestions??

My experience of Phi Phi was party party party, so not sure it's what you're looking for? I found Koh Phangan, Koh Tao & Koh Samui far more chilled out. Koh Phangan or Koh Tao were probably my favourite. Any interest in diving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Everybody and there dog have been to phi phi islands its over run, the paradise that was is long gone.... Have a look at koh Chang its really starting to the crowds of samui and phi phi so go now before its destroyed plenty of beaches not bad night life oooh id love to be back there...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 my username

Everybody and there dog have been to phi phi islands its over run, the paradise that was is long gone.... Have a look at koh Chang its really starting to the crowds of samui and phi phi so go now before its destroyed plenty of beaches not bad night life oooh id love to be back there...

+1. Loathed Phi Phi, thought Koh Chang was paradise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

I went to phi phi .. look for tohko beach resort, cheap but amazing location on private beach in phi phi ... the main village beach was afull and filthy. But sea view bungalow in tohko beach resort was best place I have every stayed. Absolutely amazing, restaurant there was also cheap.

But if I went to thailand again I would go to koh tao .. that was the best by far.

I went to Thailand few times and than to Malaysia, perhentian islands and that was even better than Thailand. Absolutely breathtaking and cheaper than thailand.

In Thailand I also went to Koh Lipe, opened only during season and very beautiful. I was there for 4 days and got 4 days of rain, so didn't enjoy it much but I guess when it's sunny it must be amazing. There were mostly malaysian visitors drinking a lot (since they might be in trouble drinking in Malaysia) so beach was empty (even if we got like 1 hour of sunshine, they didn't bother to go to the beach but continued drinking). However if it rains there is nothing to do)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Koh Tao is nice. Koh Phangnan too as long as you don't stay in Haad Rin.

Phi Phi is too filled with people on drinking holidays, you could stay there for one night and then go to Koh Lanta though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Ko Lanta is lovely. A bit pricier than some of the others for accommodation although I was there at peak season. Ko Chang is nice too. Much better value to be had for a bed too.

@198321: Why would Malaysians get in trouble for drinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

Phi Phi is worth a visit if you're in Phuket, Samui sounds more like what you are looking for honeymooners. There's a lot more to do on Samui than Phi Phi. It's also pretty easy to get around and you won't get the daytrippers that invade Phi Phi. Alternatively some of the quieter locations around Phuket could also be a good option like Kata or Karon.

Ko Lanta is lovely. A bit pricier than some of the others for accommodation although I was there at peak season. Ko Chang is nice too. Much better value to be had for a bed too.

@198321: Why would Malaysians get in trouble for drinking?

I don't think Muslims people are allowed to drink alcohol, when I was in Malaysia I had trouble to even buy can of beer and it was crazy expensive. For them it is much easier to go to thailand, pay much less to get drinks. Resorts where I stayed in Malaysia did not serve alcohol at all.

Phi Phi is worth a visit if you're in Phuket, Samui sounds more like what you are looking for honeymooners. There's a lot more to do on Samui than Phi Phi. It's also pretty easy to get around and you won't get the daytrippers that invade Phi Phi. Alternatively some of the quieter locations around Phuket could also be a good option like Kata or Karon.

Kata and Karon are not quiet. They're completely built up now and full of scowling Russians and drunken Australians.

• Advertisement

198321 wrote: »
    I don't think Muslims people are allowed to drink alcohol, when I was in Malaysia I had trouble to even buy can of beer and it was crazy expensive. For them it is much easier to go to thailand, pay much less to get drinks. Resorts where I stayed in Malaysia did not serve alcohol at all.

You found some odd places to stay. Alcohol is relatively expensive but it's very widely available unless you're in the sticks completely. In fact they brew Guinness in Malaysia, an 8% brew that's far better than what we've been reduced to in Ireland. As for Muslims not drinking alcohol, that's more honoured in the breach than the observance.

Kata and Karon are not quiet. They're completely built up now and full of scowling Russians and drunken Australians.

Relative to Patong they are much quieter options, you can't compare Bangla road to Karon. The influx of Russians has declined due to the coup problems and in any case they can be found in any of the major tourist resorts. If it bothers you meeting other nationalities then maybe Thailand isn't the place for you. In any case there'll probably be a few drunken Irish there too.

Relative to Patong they are much quieter options, you can't compare Bangla road to Karon. The influx of Russians has declined due to the coup problems and in any case they can be found in any of the major tourist resorts. If it bothers you meeting other nationalities then maybe Thailand isn't the place for you. In any case there'll probably be a few drunken Irish there too.

A lot of places are quiet compared to Patong.

Kata and Karon used to be quite distinct separate villages and beaches. They've now merged into one homogenous mass. The influx of Russians might have declined briefly but they're back in force as of last week.

Meeting other nationalities was one of the things I enjoyed most when I lived in Thailand.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend Phuket to anyone given the other options available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I was in Koh Lanta in May this year and it was the cheapest accommodation I got in Thailand. Just walked into resorts and told them I'd pay no more than 200 baht, take it or leave it. The third one took it and we got a sweet cabin in the beach. 200 baht for the two of us.

Koh chang was great too though. Very chilled.

I'd basically recommend every island except Koh Samui. I hated Samui. Seedy and dirty!

A lot of places are quiet compared to Patong.

Kata and Karon used to be quite distinct separate villages and beaches. They've now merged into one homogenous mass. The influx of Russians might have declined briefly but they're back in force as of last week.

Meeting other nationalities was one of the things I enjoyed most when I lived in Thailand.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend Phuket to anyone given the other options available.

It does sound like Samui is more suited to the OP's situation. I've never had any bother with Russians, the main issue is that they hardly speak any English and do seem to fall for a lot of tourist traps but for a lot of them it's their first trip abroad. Phuket has taken over from Bali as the Aussie stag/hen destination of choice. Just goes to show you Thailand is constantly changing to keep up with demand.

It does sound like Samui is more suited to the OP's situation. I've never had any bother with Russians, the main issue is that they hardly speak any English and do seem to fall for a lot of tourist traps but for a lot of them it's their first trip abroad. Phuket has taken over from Bali as the Aussie stag/hen destination of choice. Just goes to show you Thailand is constantly changing to keep up with demand.

This is all pretty irrelevant to the OP as I'm sure the honeymoon is well over. You should have a look at the dates on the threads you're responding to.

Samui is another island destroyed by massive tourism. There's no way I'd recommend it to anyone now. It's like flying 14 hours to get to Benidorm!

There were plenty of relatively attractive islands recommended on this thread for anyone looking. Given Thai planning (oxymoron) they'll be ruined one by one so get to them while you can.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I was in Koh Lanta in May this year and it was the cheapest accommodation I got in Thailand. Just walked into resorts and told them I'd pay no more than 200 baht, take it or leave it. The third one took it and we got a sweet cabin in the beach. 200 baht for the two of us.

Koh chang was great too though. Very chilled.

I'd basically recommend every island except Koh Samui. I hated Samui. Seedy and dirty!

I was there at Christmas - you wouldn't get a towel for 200 baht! :D

Agreed on Samui. Ruined, it used to be a nice place.

This is all pretty irrelevant to the OP as I'm sure the honeymoon is well over. You should have a look at the dates on the threads you're responding to.

Samui is another island destroyed by massive tourism. There's no way I'd recommend it to anyone now. It's like flying 14 hours to get to Benidorm!

There were plenty of relatively attractive islands recommended on this thread for anyone looking. Given Thai planning (oxymoron) they'll be ruined one by one so get to them while you can.

The original post was only 11 days ago so they could be planning ahead or maybe somebody else may find the information useful. Samui is a long way off Benidorm and a lot of the fun in Thailand is the Thai's, precious few of them in Benidorm.

Well I think it is the best when people visiting those islands complain that turism is going to destroy them and give out about it. I was in Samui last year and pretty enjoyed it. Would I go again? No. But I would say it is far far far from destroyed. Unless you paid for some cheap bungalows on ugliest beach in Samui. I think I stayed in Oriental village, which was nice, with cozy restaurants and bars, nice quiet beach and great accomodation. I really enjoyed my stay in Samui and I am more quiet beach type of person rather than party.

Advertisement