Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT phone and Eircom Broadband

Options
  • 04-08-2014 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

I bought a BT phone in Currys yesterday for the inlaws, but it doesn't work when I connect it. I'll explain.

Their old system had wall socket > dsl filter > modem + old phone. This works swimmingly. 

However, when I disconnect the old phone so the new system is....

wall socket > dsl filter> modem + BT filter> BT phone

.....I don't get a dial tone on the new phone and the modem no longer connects to the Internet. 

When I reconnect the old "Irish" phone again, everything goes back to normal. 

Any ideas?

PS. They're getting in the efibre on Thursday. Will it be the same then?

Edit: forgot to mention that when I disconnect the dsl filter and plug the new phone into the wall with its supplied adaptor, it works grand. So it obviously something to do with plugging the adaptor into the dsl filter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Soarer wrote: »
    Morning all.

I bought a BT phone in Currys yesterday for the inlaws, but it doesn't work when I connect it. I'll explain.

Their old system had wall socket > dsl filter > modem + old phone. This works swimmingly. 

.....I don't get a dial tone on the new phone and the modem no longer connects to the Internet. 

Any ideas?

Where (Ni?) did you get the phone?

You may need a BT to RJ11 adapter

Take a look here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65375941

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks jd. 

I got in Currys in Cork. I don't see any images in that link you posted, but they did give me a little white adaptor for the phone, and that's what I'm using. 
    One of these, but the other way 'round!

619_700x309.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

I'm  not 100%sure what you have done here.  I presume the filter is a double socket, and you put connection for phone into socket marked for phone? 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yup. 

The dsl filter is the one that came with the broadband, with a dsl and a phone output. That's connected to the wall socket. 
    The dsl output is connected straight to the modem. 
    The phone output has the bt adaptor(that came with the phone), with the phone line out of the other end of the adaptor up to the phone base. 

When it's all connected like that, there's no dial tone and the broadband shuts down. When I connect the adaptor direct to the wall, the phone works grand. 
    So there must be an issue with the adaptor being connected to the filter. 

Is it possible to connect the adaptor to the wall, then connect the filter to that, then run the phoneline from the filter to the phone? Ie. put the adaptor before the filter in the chain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

BT wiring is very strange.

Try this first.

Unplug the phone's cable and replace it with an Irish RJ11 - RJ11 normal phone cable instead.

If the British phone has the RJ11 socket wired normally, it'll work.

If that doesn't work, try the original cable and a new BT-RJ11 adaptor.

If that doesn't work get a refund and buy a phone in Harvey Norman that's actually designed for use in Ireland.

If you're losing ADSL and the dial tone, something you're plugging in is short circuiting the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Morning all.

Any ideas?

Edit: forgot to mention that when I disconnect the dsl filter and plug the new phone into the wall with its supplied adaptor, it works grand. So it obviously something to do with plugging the adaptor into the dsl filter.

Hi Soarer

I can confirm that eircom will be unable to offer advice in terms of third party equipment but the above advice from other users seem very good - I recommend following spacetimes advice.

If you are getting efibre installed soon then I can confirm that the installation engineer should be able to help you resolve this :)

Al

Advertisement