Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing lease

Options
  • 04-08-2014 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

We are currently on a 1year fixed term lease which is up next month, I rang the landlord to tell him we want to stay on but he was busy however he hasn't called me back, should I inform the letting agents we want to stay or have we done enough already?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

MsVuni wrote: »
    We are currently on a 1year fixed term lease which is up next month, I rang the landlord to tell him we want to stay on but he was busy however he hasn't called me back, should I inform the letting agents we want to stay or have we done enough already?

A phone call never suffices.
    Put all communication in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MsVuni

I'm confused should I write to landlord or letting agent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

MsVuni wrote: »
    I'm confused should I write to landlord or letting agent

If there is a letting agent appointed to manage the tenancy- your correspondence would be with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MsVuni

Cheers for that I'll get onto letting agent tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

You titled the thread "renewing lease". Are you aware that you do not have to sign a new fixed term lease? You can just inform the agent that you are continuing the tenancy as a Part IV tenancy. The choice is yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

xper wrote: »
    You titled the thread "renewing lease". Are you aware that you do not have to sign a new fixed term lease? You can just inform the agent that you are continuing the tenancy as a Part IV tenancy. The choice is yours.

True but the trade off is another year's secure tenancy versus the possibility being legally terminated at any time with 6 weeks notice.

Leases benefit both parties.

Advertisement