Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What as a community can we do to stop bicycle theft. Afraid to leave yet another bik

Options
  • 04-08-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

Having had several stolen over the years it seems this is an all too common story. I need to cycle to the DART station but can't take another bike being robbed. Why is it accepted that your bike will be robbed. Despite an €80 lock. I read last week that 50 bikes were stolen from an apartment complex in Stillorgan. Could we pay for proper supervised lock up facilities. I would gladly pay. Wouldn't this be an innovative incentive for Dun Laoghaire?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Several bikes stolen?

At some Luas stations there are individual bike lockers.

Why not just buy a cheap old bike that would be less likely to be stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

homer911 wrote: »
    Several bikes stolen?

At some Luas stations there are individual bike lockers.

Why not just buy a cheap old bike that would be less likely to be stolen?

I have heard this about the individual bike lockers, seems like a good idea. Where could they be installed in Dun Laoghaire?

Even the cheap old bike was nicked. Just can't keep up with that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Chinasea wrote: »
    I have heard this about the individual bike lockers, seems like a good idea. Where could they be installed in Dun Laoghaire?

Even the cheap old bike was nicked. Just can't keep up with that.

There are bike lockers in Dun Laoghaire dart station, only 4 though I think and they need to be rented by the week rather than by the hour etc

I have had bikes stolen before too and unfortunately the reality of the situation is that you can't lock your bike anywhere in public anymore as there is always the chance it Will be stolen. There is a supervised place in the city centre for licking your bike but they have even been stolen from here.

Until the guards actually try to combat this then I would suggest you don't lock your bike anywhere in public.

It seems we just accept that our bikes will be robbed. I really need mine to get from A to B. The Gardai don't seem to be able to tackle this problem. I am fed up with the whole simple acceptance thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

It's pretty bad but I've yet to hear of a bike being robbed with a Kryptonite NY or even the Evolution

Not cheap but worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You should lobby DLR council about bike lockers, I think they have been involved in things like this in Sandyford and it would be a good improvement for Dun Laoghaire town. Irish Rail too would have lots of room behind the platforms for bike lockers.

Can I ask OP, what exact location is your bike being stolen from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Diarmuid wrote: »
    It's pretty bad but I've yet to hear of a bike being robbed with a Kryptonite NY or even the Evolution

Not cheap but worth it.

Good advice from Diarmuid. I have 2 kids cycling to college for last 2 years and using Kryptonite New York locks. They do give out about the weight of them though.

Also check out a few you tube videos of how to lock your bike. Don't lock it in such a way as to enable the bike be used as a lever to break open a U lock.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    You WE ALL should lobby DLR council about bike lockers, I think they have been involved in things like this in Sandyford and it would be a good improvement for Dun Laoghaire town. Irish Rail too would have lots of room behind the platforms for bike lockers.

Can I ask OP, what exact location is your bike being stolen from?

Front garden Monkstown, back garden shed Monkstown, Dun Laoghaire DART station (Town Hall).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dun Laoghaire DART station (Town Hall).

I was walking by there myself one lunchtime earlier in the year and there was a zombie blatantly trying locks all along the bike racks in broad daylight so I pulled him up on it, he spouted something indecipherable and shuffled over to the DART station side and hung around keeping an eye on the bikes so I went around to Marine Road and called the Guards on him, and in fairness they arrived down straight away and took a few tool bits off him. But I'm sure he was at it again the same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Some high profile sting operations by the Gardai could be a big deterrent - leave a few bait bikes around, and monitor with CCTV or trackers or both - prosecute and show the videos on Crimecall.

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »
    Some high profile sting operations by the Gardai could be a big deterrent - leave a few bait bikes around, and monitor with CCTV or trackers or both - prosecute and show the videos on Crimecall.

Exactly. Why does this not happen is the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have always had the impression that its treated like a "school yard crime", like robbing someones lunch, no big deal.

If I went into the gardai to report a €5000 bicycle missing I expect I would get more attention if it was a €2000 motorbike I was reporting.

Surprised I have not heard of vigilante "honey pots" for bike theives. I have seen videos of it on youtube. And videos of fellow couriers beating the hell out of people robbing couriers bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Exactly. Why does this not happen is the question?

Because its a revolving door process. Arresting somebody , filling up the required paper work and sending them on their way so they will do the same the following day achieves nothing.

The prison and court service need to be changed first .

Advertisement