Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any car insurance companies that take motorbike policy into account

• 04-08-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I've been ringing around for car insurance quotes and the prices are crazy, they wont even quote me on a 1.8.

I'm 28 and a first time car driver. I have 6 years NCB on a bike and full licence on a bike but they don't take this into account for a car? Studies have revealed that bike riders are 23% safer behind the wheel of a car, why don't they take this into account?

Is there any insurance provider that will take bike experience and NCB into account?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

daveyjoe wrote: »
    I've been ringing around for car insurance quotes and the prices are crazy, they wont even quote me on a 1.8.

I'm 28 and a first time car driver. I have 6 years NCB on a bike and full licence on a bike but they don't take this into account for a car? Studies have revealed that bike riders are 23% safer behind the wheel of a car, why don't they take this into account?

Is there any insurance provider that will take bike experience and NCB into account?

Axa and Liberty would give you 10% on the basis you had another policy with them. That's pretty much it.

What is the 1.8 if you don't mind me asking? Full license or are you on a permit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

I'm on a learner permit with the car, first time getting a car, so I'm starting from scratch. I was quoted on a few different cars, just to get an idea, the 1.8 was an Audi A4 or A5, can't remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

daveyjoe wrote: »
    I'm on a learner permit with the car, first time getting a car, so I'm starting from scratch. I was quoted on a few different cars, just to get an idea, the 1.8 was an Audi A4 or A5, can't remember.

Be realistic and pick up a normal starter car for a couple of years, Micro/Punto/Yaris etc.

Anything over 1.4 puts you in the high performance category in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was in a similar situation. Best thing to do is try and get insured on someone elses car, practice in that and get your test. Getting insured on learner permit is going to be hard.
    And they take the years driving on someone elses insurance into account for your no claims. I got put on the wifes insurance for free cos we're married. Passed the test and then got a 2l diesel, which only cost me €500 to insure. I'm 35 btw.

Advertisement