Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone company and Data Protection

Options
  • 04-08-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi,

last January i decided to upgrade my home phone package, they said it would be active within 72 hours, 6 days in i cancelled the upgrade wanted to cancel before 7 day period. the following month i got a bill for 2 phone packages my current one and the one I cancelled.

I contacted the phone company they apologised and said they would credit me the following month. following month double billed again contacted them told them the problem and to credit my account which they did, told them i would be cancelling the phone package, which was out of contract.

After cancelling i went back to them, set up a new account as before this i had no problems with them, then 3 months ago i received a letter saying i owe them for early termination of contract, contacted them the said sorry and not to worry about it, last month i receive letters and phone calls from a debt collection agency.

so long storey short i contacted them they said it was sorted got them to admit it was there fault and that i was not liable for early termination of contract. so my issue now with this is that thy have passed on my personal details my unlisted number to a debt collection agency,

would this be considered a breach of my data protection rights

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

No. I think the Data Protection Commissioner published an opinion on this and they're within their rights to pass the debt on. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Case-Studies-2012/1354.htm#6

Check the t & c for your own provider but I don't think you have a case here.

Obviously if it was their error they shouldn't have done it but in terms of data protection I think they're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

It likely states in the terms and conditions that they can pass your details to any of their "agents"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Not really the place but I've always wondered if these scenarios could be grounds for a defamation claim. Defence of qualified privilege would seem to make it a non-starter but do update us if you contact a solicitor.

Advertisement