Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 week old dog won't eat from bowl.

• 04-08-2014 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

recently picked up our new pup, yorkie/bishon cross, she started off scoffing her food from the bowl no problem, last few days she won't touch it, but will drink from the other exact same bowl, now if i mix 1 small "fishy" treat in with the regular food ( royal canin puppy food) she will dig in for a while.. will i just leave the regular food out and when she is hungry enough she will eat it..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sounds to me like she's learned that if she doesn't eat it she'll get a fishy treat instead, as opposed to having any problem with the food or the bowl as you say she'll eat it when she gets hungry enough.

If it was an adult dog I'd recommend putting it down for 15 minutes then taking it up and offering nothing until the next feed, but I don't have a lot of experience with puppies. I'm sure someone will be able to give you some good information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Does he have a collar/tags that are hitting the bowl by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭karbonkoncepts

ill try both the above, i stopped the little treat in the bowl yesterday ads just this evening she had a little feed, seems if she is hungry enough she will eat it.. hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

My dog has never eaten out of his food bowl, he always just flips it with his paw and eats from the ground like an animal.
    Try putting the food on the ground altogether

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm taking it that it's not the bowl that's the problem, but the food?
    What brand are you feeding your pup op?
    Lots of pups don't like certain brands, but for some reason we're determined that they MUST eat such-and-such dry food because the vet said so, or the dog-owning neighbour said so etc. I can't blame dogs for getting sick and tired of it tbh :o
    You might have to experiment a bit with foods OP, and what about it if you have to give him a bit of fish? If he likes it, why not?! It's really good for him!

Edited to add: d'uh, I see you said in your post it's RC you're feeding. Not the best in the world, and certainly with some brands, very wee pups like yours can find it hard work to chew the stuff at all. I'm not sure if this includes RC as it's a long time since I've fed it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement