Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving Soap/ Cream Group Buy

Options
  • 04-08-2014 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Anybody interested in a Shaving soap/cream group buy to offset prohibitive P&P from USA. Suggestions. CATIES BUBBLES. BARRISTER&MANN. MIKES NATURAL SOAPS. Etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I'd never heard of Caties Bubbles before your post so looked them up. Some interesting scents and pretty good reviews it seems. If a group buy gets off the ground I'm sure I could pick out a soap I'd be interested in trying. I already have way too many soaps so I'd probably on be interested if there was a pretty decent saving to be had.

I do doubt that there would be enough people on Boards interested in a group buy however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Great idea but I'd agree there probably aren't enough of us to make it happen.

You might want to check out this site to get several US artisans from one European vendor:
    http://seifenglatt.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

If it happens I'm in.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Me too. I love to try Caties Bubbles.

Well, Caties is on my list as is BSBC (beer soap brewing company). Hard to find a vendor that has all the artisans you want in one place. Italian Barber and Maggard are good for this and are happy to ship abroad. They'll also ship aftershave if you accept responsibility. I notice the latter stocks Caties:

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product-tag/caties-bubbles/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

I'd be interested. A few new names/brands for me to look up later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

You can count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

Hi I've decided to group buy from maggardrazors.com based on beardybrewers nomination...they have selection of soaps from various artisan makers, Caties Bubbles, Barrister & Mann etc. If you want to partake in a group buy PM me with choice of soap(s) you will only pay for soap + percentage of shipping. (I'll PM what you will owe before I purchase so you know what it costs) There typical shipping to Ireland is $43 based on 10 soap order. I'll commit to buy order since I suggested group buy. Based on post I think we've 6 interested. When it arrives I'll PM you guys. Regards Skankles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Firstly I would like to thank skankles for organising this.
    So much choice on the website. Any recommendations from fellow boardies?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Have you considered custom charges here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Have you considered custom charges here?

Nope. Just expecting 5 or 6 chaps to order 1 or 2 soaps. $43 shipping hopefully no customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭jpb1974

$43 divided by 6 = $7 per person.

Then factor in national postage when it arrives (I'd guess at least €3 = $5), any possible Paypal fees for skankles to accept your Paypal payment, the fact that a larger shipment with higher value is more susceptible to be caught for custom fees and finally the fact that you're giving your money to a relative stranger with 8 posts at the time of writing (nothing personal fella).

It costs $18 for shipping when buying 2 soaps direct from Caties Bubbles. A smaller shipment like this is more likely to pass through customs without issue, although not guaranteed.

Best cast scenario, you might save yourself a fiver.

The folk on one of the UK forums do group buys, but they have a US military guy, who lives in the UK, but has a US postal address in the UK. So he can buy stuff and have it delivered into the UK without any custom charges.

Anyway, good luck with it. I'm not trying to hijack you, just highlighting things that others may not have considered. I'm out.

Make sure to mention when placing the full order to mark the customs no more than $20.

Also, remember they will ship products with alcohol (after shave/cologne) but at buyer's risk. Being this is a group buy it might be best to refrain. If we can duck customs we'll be doing well.

I'm mulling this over as they were out of stock on the Catie's Bubbles scent I was after. I'll get back to you shortly.

I'm going to drop out of this group buy. They don't carry the Barrister & Mann soap I wanted to try out.

Good luck with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Really sorry lads but i'm out too,
    looking at the costs involved if custom's catch the order and then sending the order on to us once it arrives in Ireland..
    Having never tried any of the soaps on offer it would be pot luck if i liked it when it arrived so I'm just going to get something from Shaving.ie

Best of luck and i hope you can avoid customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'd suggest sticking within the EU. Someone like Jabonman who isn't stocked by usual stockists.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

hitemfrank wrote: »
    They don't carry the Barrister & Mann soap I wanted to try out.

Good luck with it though.

Which one were you looking for?

Which one were you looking for?

'Roam' is the soap of theirs I was after.

Advertisement