Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

23c or 25c road tyre? continental GP or gator skins?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Recently put GP400 25c s on my bike and really like the little bit of extra padding, running at 100 psi, give or take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

24mm Vittoria Open Pave.
    Best road clincher on the market IMO.
    Durable, great grip and when they do puncture they hold their shape so that you can actually cycle until you get a place to pull in.
    They also look great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Dcully wrote: »
    Im currently using a pair of Continental Grand Prix 24c tyres and just started to notice a slight bit of wear.
    I want to get a second pair as a few sites are running reductions at the moment but only offer 23c or 25c and im unsure what to go for.
    Typical usage being regular training/fitness spins and some sportives.
    Would i be better off goign with continental gator skins?

Im looking at the GP`s here on CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/continental-grand-prix-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod78421

and continental gator skins here for a similar price

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/tyresclincher/continental-gatorskin-clincher-tyre-rigid.html

I use 28c Conti GP 4 Season, on the road bike. 80psi. Avg pace 28-30kph, but way way way more comfortable on my older road bike with 23c 100psi Gatorskins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

I had gatorskins (23) for about two years. They were grand, never punctured but wouldnt set the world alight.

I now have gp4000 (23) and find them better in wet and faster rolling, used for training and sportives.

I also have conti. 4 season (25) on my commuter/winter bike, a bit more comfort and better puncture resistance than gp4000.

I wouldn't move from either of these two tyres, and definately wouldn't go back to gatorskins ahead of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I've a set of Continental Grand Prix 24c's (Brand New in Box) if you want to stick with the same tyres. Looking for €50 ono and located in Dublin 18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

On 23 Gator hardshell on the rear (standard gator 23 on the front) rarely puncture but a divil to change got the LBS to fit them this time....never a bother with them once on....
    Sportives and Dublin/Wicklow/in ****e mountain roads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

much prefer the 25 over the 23 gatorskins. Find them a lot more comfortable on our crappy roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭biketard

I've very much in the 25 camp. Since I made the switch I've had very few, if any, punctures, and they're a bit more comfortable too (I'd argue that they're less likely to slip away in less than optimal weather conditions too). I haven't noticed any speed difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Connolly86

Hi Lads,

Looking for a little advice re: tyres as well....

Now this might sound stupid but are the prices quoted on CRC & Wiggle for 1 tyre or a set/pair??
    I know that sounds ridiculous but I'm a bit of a newbie to this & a bit confused. Sorry!!!

Also when or why would someone replace Rim Tape?? Not even sure what it is!!! I have just seen it mentioned a few times on different sites re: changing tyres/tubes etc.

I'm currently running on Schwalbe Luganos that came standard on the bike but they are beginning to wear heavily on the rear after 1000+kms....I have my eye on a pair of Continental Grand Prix 4000 in blue....

Any/All advice would be appreciated!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Connolly86 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Looking for a little advice re: tyres as well....

Now this might sound stupid but are the prices quoted on CRC & Wiggle for 1 tyre or a set/pair??
    I know that sounds ridiculous but I'm a bit of a newbie to this & a bit confused. Sorry!!!

Also when or why would someone replace Rim Tape?? Not even sure what it is!!! I have just seen it mentioned a few times on different sites re: changing tyres/tubes etc.

I'm currently running on Schwalbe Luganos that came standard on the bike but they are beginning to wear heavily on the rear after 1000+kms....I have my eye on a pair of Continental Grand Prix 4000 in blue....

Any/All advice would be appreciated!!
    Prices are usually quoted per tyre although sometimes you'll see a special offer on a pair.

Rim tape is usually changed when it shows signs of deterioration. Some punctures are caused by the spoke heads penetrating the tube when not adequately covered by rim tape.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

For those on Gp4000s, are you on the older or new version? Basic or reflex version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Connolly86 wrote: »
    Also when or why would someone replace Rim Tape??

This is why I changed my rim tape -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64017625&postcount=6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have started using 23mm gatorskins and find them not too jarring, moved from 25mm Vredestein Fortezza. Long spins I would always wear two pairs of gloves to dial out some of the road buzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Kinet1c wrote: »
    For those on Gp4000s, are you on the older or new version? Basic or reflex version?

As far as I am aware the s and sII are no different technically. Just you can get a lot of colours with the new II

I run a set on conti 4000s II with 23mm on the front and 25mm on the rear.

I had a set of gatorskins but people on here put me off them by saying they were dodgy in the wet :/ I don't know if that is under normal commute type use of bombing down a hill from Sally Gap @ 60kph.

Probably should have asked that :p

I had a set of gatorskins but people on here put me off them by saying they were dodgy in the wet :/ I don't know if that is under normal commute type use of bombing down a hill from Sally Gap @ 60kph.

I've currently got 23/Gatorskins on both and have had 1 puncture on them in a few years. Even if I was to only get 1/month on GP4000 it would be too much for me. How resistant have you found them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Kinet1c wrote: »
    I've currently got 23/Gatorskins on both and have had 1 puncture on them in a few years. Even if I was to only get 1/month on GP4000 it would be too much for me. How resistant have you found them?

Not great, being honest but I am going from Parkwest to the 12th lock along the canal and I might as well be throwing glass in front of myself. I've had a puncture with Gatorskins too, for the few weeks that I was using them.

I'd say it's the route I take and not the tyres.

I'd say under "normal" road use they would be more than able.

I used to cycle most of that route on the canal when at my old job, I found that the road route was actually quicker there and back. My punctures have actually come via the n7 crossover with nangor road, material seems to gather there.

Finally had a slippage with the gatorskins yesterday. I was going up a slope on an N7 overpass and when I put some power down the type slipped but managed not for it to happen again.

I am mulling over the Conti GP4000s or 4 season tyres for the new bike, anybody experience with the later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Radial

I use both GP4000's and 4 Seasons.

The 4 Seasons are on a winter bike. To be honest with you I've never had any real issues with the GP4000's in the wet, but I just like the 4 Seasons when the weather is really bad. I suppose it's all in the mind, but when descending in wet/slippery conditions I just like that extra reassurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I use Seasons. 4000+ km with no punctures and I'm happy with the grip. Can't really compare to much other than bontrager hardcases which I also like though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement