Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New phone - maybe Huwaei Ascend G510

• 04-08-2014 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

I need to get a new phone but am restricted to what's on offer via the Vodafone Cherry points offer. The Nokia Lumia 510 seems best on reviews but I am used to Android so want to stick with it. The HTC Desire 310 was another option but seems to do especially poorly in reviews! So the above Huwaei Ascend G510 seems to be the best bet but I see on Boards that when it first came out there were a lot of issues with dropped calls and Wi Fi connection issues. Have these been addressed? I guess I'm especially interested in hearing from people who have bought the phone recently.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Stay clear of it as it has Android Jellybean 1.1.1. and you will see why below
    It was also revealed in April that smartphones and tablets are also vulnerable to Heartbleed. The only devices affected are ones that have Android Jellybean 4.1.1 as their operating system. The devices are vulnerable to a hack dubbed “reverse Heartbleed” – which is where a malicious server would be able to exploit the flaw in OpenSSL and take data from the phone’s browser like logins (usernames and passwords).

At least 4 million devices in America and over 50 million worldwide are susceptible to Heartbleed. Google has released a patch to all Android device manufacturers, which they pass on to all the phone carriers who test them before they release them to their users. It can be months before a carrier releases updates to its customers and also some manufacturers are not planning on updating their phones. You can of course add a custom version of Android onto your phone but that may not work with your phone.

I got the above quote from http://tecdr.net/heartbleed-has-not-gone-away/

I also don't think Huwaei will be updating the OS either so you could be screwed and as phone companies don't see it as a major flaw no refund or change of Phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There was a Heartbleed related release for the G510, from Vodafone at least, back in June I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Thanks for the replies. So there was a Heartbleed issue which may have been resolved. Does anyone know about the dropped calls and wi fi problems. Are the more recently produced models okay in this regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Think I will revist the HTC Desire 310 and see what people on here think! Thanks again to those who replied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Divisadero wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. So there was a Heartbleed issue which may have been resolved. Does anyone know about the dropped calls and wi fi problems. Are the more recently produced models okay in this regard?
    I've had no problems with mine, and it's one of the very first h/w revisions. I think they've made some minor updates since then.

The biggest problem with the phone is the lack of memory both ram and built-in storage. You can get away with moving some stuff to sd card, but none of the Google apps support this and I constantly get problems updating large Google apps like Chrome complaining that there is insufficient storage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement