Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy Benzalkonium chloride

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

You also asked this question in the Physics & Chemistry forum.

Here is the answer I gave there, in case you missed it;
    Sorry, but are you trying to buy the actual pure chemical, so that you can mix up something yourself?

Mix it with what?
    What concentration would you use?
    Using what equipment?
    How will you dispose of what you don't use?
    How will you clean the equipment you use afterwards?
    How will you dispose of the solvents you use to clean the equipment?
    How will you protect yourself from exposure to the raw chemical?
    Do you know how toxic or otherwise the raw chemical might be?

Now, maybe you already know the answers to all of these questions and more, but I suspect you might not.

I will tell you this; I am a pharmacist, and I wouldn't dream of trying to buy something like this to prepare at home. I wouldn't even dream of trying to prepare something like this at work, where I have access to equipment, information sources and waste disposal methods that the average Joe Soap might not have access to. There is a reason why products like this are made in proper chemical facilities, and a reason why it has a great big black 'X' inside an orange box on the packaging, and a reason why bodies like the US Environmental Protection Agency have a 126-page document that says how to use it safely.

Don't even dream of preparing something like this unless you can answer all of the questions I have asked, and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

yfaykya wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can buy Benzalkonium chloride?
    It's the active ingredient in a lot of moss/lichen removal products. Much much cheaper to mix myself. For sale on Amazon at http://www.amazon.co.uk/BAC-50-Benzalkonium-chloride-biocide/dp/B00BWRECXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407165865&sr=8-1&keywords=Benzalkonium+chloride but does not ship to Ireland.

See http://www.psifly.com/cr2/index.php?topic=24991.0 for some background..

Thanks!

Have you tried Parcel Motel for shipping?
    😉

Advertisement