Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola: Prep and dig in or bug out to the hills?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

chopper6 wrote: »
    Fine and dandy.

The country bumpkins may well have an organised defence but it's not to say that they wont be targeted.

The country bumpkins, eh? When the time comes, how about you make yourself a packed lunch and take a bus out of the city to see what you can see?

Bring that attitude and you'll save yourself the price of a bus fare home ;)

Here, leave the presumptions to one side. You need to plan to work with people, not to take things from them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

The country bumpkins, eh? When the time comes, how about you make yourself a packed lunch and take a bus out of the city to see what you can see?

Bring that attitude and you'll save yourself the price of a bus fare home ;)

Here, leave the presumptions to one side. You need to plan to work with people, not to take things from them.

I'm no city slicker my friend..just so you know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

Ah yes this is the thread I wanted to see, have you guys seen the After Hours thread?
    It's a real rollercoaster of informed discussion with dollops of fear, panic, anxiety, spoof and Wummery.

So what will I need to fight the Walking Ebola Dead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Ah yes this is the thread I wanted to see, have you guys seen the After Hours thread?
    It's a real rollercoaster of informed discussion with dollops of fear, panic, anxiety, spoof and Wummery.

So what will I need to fight the Walking Ebola Dead?

http://touch.boards.ie/forum/1079

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

http://rt.com/news/192628-ebola-scare-london-conference/
    The International Rescue Committee (IRC), on behalf of 34 NGOs battling Ebola in West Africa, has warned that the number of cases is doubling roughly every three weeks and the globe has only four weeks to stop the crisis from spiraling out of control.
    The International Rescue Committee (IRC), on behalf of 34 NGOs battling Ebola in West Africa, has warned that the number of cases is doubling roughly every three weeks and the globe has only four weeks to stop the crisis from spiraling out of control.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/04/ebola-zaire-peter-piot-outbreak (worth reading the full article - interesting stuff)

The scientist who discovered Ebola in 1976 states that the virus is mutating, and speculates that if it develops a mutation that allows infected people to live longer, then the virus is likely to affect many more people:
    a mutation that would allow Ebola patients to live a couple of weeks longer is certainly possible and would be advantageous for the virus. But that would allow Ebola patients to infect many, many more people than is currently the case.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/01/us-health-ebola-vaccines-idUSKCN0HQ4JM20141001
    Development of a vaccine has been accelerated, with hopes of availability in significant quantities in the first quarter of 2015.
    (Reuters) - Both GlaxoSmithKline and NewLink Genetics are working to boost their capacity to make Ebola vaccines, with a goal of a "very significant increase in scale during the first half of 2015", the World Health Organization said on Wednesday.

Even under the best conditions, if the experimental vaccines are proven to be safe and confer protection in clinical trials, a significant number of doses will not be available until late in the first quarter of 2015, the WHO said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,456 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tactical nukes, ZMapp, or chewing tobacco (and not puking afterwards).

Someone will decide.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Esel wrote: »
    Tactical nukes, ZMapp, or chewing tobacco (and not puking afterwards).

Someone will decide.

Someone responsible.

screen-shot-2012-10-04-at-12-17-56-pm-e1349368088807.png?w=694

screen-shot-2012-10-04-at-12-22-56-pm-e1349367942453.png?w=694

Just read that an African woman who recently returned to Ireland has been rushed to the matter hospital displaying symptoms similar to ebola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

aaakev wrote: »
    Just read that an African woman who recently returned to Ireland has been rushed to the matter hospital displaying symptoms similar to ebola

Believe it or not, this time of year large parts of our population are displaying 'symptoms similar to ebola' , it used to be known as 'the sniffles' and 'a temperature'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭hexosan

It's already been ruled out as Ebola.

The WHO are also claiming that the outbreak in Nigeria has been contained with no new cases in 42 days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Same for Senegal, however, to quote directly:
    "On the whole, the outbreaks in Senegal and Nigeria are pretty much contained," a WHO statement said.
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/09/ebola-contained-senegal-nigeria-201492302548319863.html

Sounds a little vague...

wexie wrote: »
    Believe it or not, this time of year large parts of our population are displaying 'symptoms similar to ebola' , it used to be known as 'the sniffles' and 'a temperature'

Yeah I know bit I suppose the fact that she has just come from the region its better safe than sorry

Alegidly 7 kids in kansad test positive for ebola so far after a substitute teacher came back from Africa with it. This is the only link I can find so far....

http://www.nymeta.co/kansas-third-graders-exposed-ebola-7-test-positive-substitute-teacher-blame/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

That's not a credible media outlet Kev. Not a single mainstream outlet has anything even close to the details in that BS article. Sorry buddy! :o

Edit: Ahhhh, you beat me to it!

Yeah been searching for another link to the story, just put that one up to see anyone had anything else!

Alegidly 7 kids in kansad test positive for ebola so far after a substitute teacher came back from Africa with it. This is the only link I can find so far....

http://www.nymeta.co/kansas-third-graders-exposed-ebola-7-test-positive-substitute-teacher-blame/

hmm....something dodgy here :
    He was called to fill in as substitute for the third grade class his second day back. By mid morning he started feeling extremely ill. He was ordered to go home that afternoon. Jeremy then tested positive for Ebola, right before the students started to show symptoms.

incubation period for Ebola is 7 to 21 days....?
    Also, quite which of his bodily fluids did he manage to get onto most of his class? (without already showing symptoms? Supposedly you're not infectious until you become symptomatic)

I'm holding out judgement on this one until I see more information

And, to be honest, if there were 8 new cases of Ebola in the US (7 of which kids) it'd have been all over the news.

And there we have it :

http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/ebolaschool.asp

(turns out NYMETA are a 'satirical' website, they're not the WWN that's for sure)

Advertisement