Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calling any football fans that go to games in Britain and abroad!

• 04-08-2014 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Hey!

So like most reading this I am a big football fan whether it is LOI,premier league or european!

I never really got the opportunity to get over to England for a game but after a couple of years of going to LOI games I'm definitely going to try to get to more.

Anyway - basically me and a Dutch friend of mine were discussing going to matches etc and sorta came up with an idea for a business that were trying to get going.

It's still very concept at this stage - but it involves creating and providing all in one football packages. This would include match day tickets,travel and accommodation.

The accommodation however would be with a club supporter BnB style.

This would allow us to keep prices all year around as opposed to hotels etc that can raise them when match days come around etc. It also means that fans travelling through this system would be supporting other supporters financially who in turn would be able to afford to get more games etc. It would also be a cool way to meet new fans.

The market for this would probably be more European and Asia based as Irish tend to fly over and back on the same day more often.

But what do you think? Would a travel package that includes accommodation at a supporters house influence your decision to book it either way? We have a survey set up if you have a spare minute but just looking to get a discussion going on football travel in general at the moment!

https://homefans.wufoo.com/forms/lets-make-football-travel-better/

Comments

Afaik it's fairly difficult to set up a travel agency, lot of rules and regulations and the likes involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Really were just testing the concept among football fans at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The staying with strangers thing would put a lot of people off IMO. I definitely would make hotels an option. A lot of people don't mind paying the extra few euro for a hotel room. The part of those packages that people usually dislike paying is the crazy cut the company adds onto the costs.

Be more reasonable with that and you have a potential niche market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Afaik it's fairly difficult to set up a travel agency, lot of rules and regulations and the likes involved.

Correct
    A few years ago a woman in Limerick was convicted for organizing Munster rugby away trips without the correct licenses, bonds etc.

She was doing it in good faith, not trying to rip anyone off or anything, but you have to do it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

My partner in this is a lawyer so we are well aware of all the rules and regulations - and they are many! I also have a business background. If we were to do it we would do it correctly! We are in contact with various official supporters clubs and the feedback has been positive so far while we are still crystallising our concept!

There are easier ways to make money in business but this is an idea we are passionate about and have a good network to develop. It is not really about making money for us while it still has to be feasible. The idea was borne out of connecting the foreign fans with the local supporters while also allowing the local supporters to benefit from the influx of visitors for football matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I would not imagine it would be a big market. I can only speak for myself but would much rather stay in a hotel than some randomer's house. If they were officially registered B&B's then maybe but I don't get the impression that is what you are setting up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Hey!

So like most reading this I am a big football fan whether it is LOI,premier league or european!

I never really got the opportunity to get over to England for a game but after a couple of years of going to LOI games I'm definitely going to try to get to more.

Anyway - basically me and a Dutch friend of mine were discussing going to matches etc and sorta came up with an idea for a business that were trying to get going.

It's still very concept at this stage - but it involves creating and providing all in one football packages. This would include match day tickets,travel and accommodation.

The accommodation however would be with a club supporter BnB style.

This would allow us to keep prices all year around as opposed to hotels etc that can raise them when match days come around etc. It also means that fans travelling through this system would be supporting other supporters financially who in turn would be able to afford to get more games etc. It would also be a cool way to meet new fans.

The market for this would probably be more European and Asia based as Irish tend to fly over and back on the same day more often.

But what do you think? Would a travel package that includes accommodation at a supporters house influence your decision to book it either way? We have a survey set up if you have a spare minute but just looking to get a discussion going on football travel in general at the moment!

https://homefans.wufoo.com/forms/lets-make-football-travel-better/

Many travel agents do these sort of packages already. It's a fairly crowded market-place to be honest. Staying in a strangers house? There's so many things that could go wrong there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I don't see how the football angle is enough to differentiate you from couchsurfing or airbnb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Wouldn't be all that keen on staying in someones house to be honest but there is surely a place for trips that aren't a rip off. I know a few people that have been pissed off with the price their girlfriends payed for overnight trips to PL games, there would certainly be a market for trips as presents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Where would you get match tickets for the bigger games?

• Advertisement

Avoid travel agents with a bargepole tbh.

They just charge way over the odds.

Buy from clubs and book your own transport and accommodation for half the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Best of luck OP but I've heard this idea loads of times (as recently as last week) but it never happens because those involved don't find it financially viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

Going to a Pl game in November 2 nights all travel and match tickets plus accommodation for 239 euro.very happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Not sure the putting up in someone's house would hold much attraction for supporters coming over from Asia. If they can afford the flight costs, they can afford to stay in a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

You'd be better off starting a hostel franchise geared towards travelling football fans. Keep prices low for fans with a match day ticket.

Going to a Pl game in November 2 nights all travel and match tickets plus accommodation for 239 euro.very happy with that.

That's not too cheap for one person unless the hotel is 4 star +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I travelled to plenty of games in UK and Europe over the years, and I would say the main thing you would need to do 100% of the time is provide tickets.

Travelling and not getting a ticket was always my greatest fear, only happened to me once. Making people change hotels or wait extra hours for a flight is acceptable, not getting a ticket is unforgiveable.

If you ever let customers down with tickets, your reputation would be shot to pieces.

CSF wrote: »
    That's not too cheap for one person unless the hotel is 4 star +

Realistically what could it be got for without sourcing everything separately?

Realistically what could it be got for without sourcing everything separately?

I don't know, but that's kind of my point, there isn't a value package out there.

I don't know, but that's kind of my point, there isn't a value package out there.

Any less that that for me and I'd be going to a game a month probably lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Sounds like a great idea in theory, but there are many potential pitfalls, especially with the staying with strangers thing.
    Personally I do Manchester as often as I can, and I'd prefer to stay in a hotel... I'm over to enjoy the craic, enjoy a match, and I wouldn't particularly want to be encroaching on someone for a roof....

I did the United - Real Sociedad game last year - i got tickets off a lad on here, and booked flights and hotel seperately. €260 for two of us for a one night stay.

It probably wouldn't be for me, but good luck with it! :)

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Sounds like a great idea in theory, but there are many potential pitfalls, especially with the staying with strangers thing.
    Personally I do Manchester as often as I can, and I'd prefer to stay in a hotel... I'm over to enjoy the craic, enjoy a match, and I wouldn't particularly want to be encroaching on someone for a roof....

I did the United - Real Sociedad game last year - i got tickets off a lad on here, and booked flights and hotel seperately. €260 for two of us for a one night stay.

It probably wouldn't be for me, but good luck with it! :)

Done the porto game few seasons back same thing for 200 a head,market is sown up if u ask me

Done the porto game few seasons back same thing for 200 a head,market is sown up if u ask me

Flights can be done for 20 return, match tickets for 40-50, hotel for 60-70 (less if split between 2) Adding that 80-90 on is just unnecessary.

Flights can be done for 20 return, match tickets for 40-50, hotel for 60-70 (less if split between 2) Adding that 80-90 on is just unnecessary.

That's my travel to and from stadium aswell, get real man,20 quid flights are rarely available,also 70 euro for 2 nights hotel again where u staying for that,tickets are 60 quid normally for games aswell.

That's my travel to and from stadium aswell, get real man,20 quid flights are rarely available,also 70 euro for 2 nights hotel again where u staying for that,tickets are 60 quid normally for games aswell.
    20 quid flights are almost always available, if you book early enough. I stay in the Holiday Inn Express for that. And jesus, whose tickets cost 60 quid? That is nuts.

20 quid flights are almost always available, if you book early enough. I stay in the Holiday Inn Express for that. And jesus, whose tickets cost 60 quid? That is nuts.

Fixture list is out in June,finalised in July,games in September your flights from Cork to Manchester are not 20 quid ever.get me 2 tickets for a top 6 team for 80 euro so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I don't get any anyone would need accommodation...

Used to go to the villa every other week. Flight over in the morning, train to the city, catch a movie, train to the game and on to the airport, home and all for match of the day spending about €20 on flights, a fiver for the cinema, tenner for a bit of grub and a few bob for short term parking at the airport

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Where would you get match tickets for the bigger games?
    I'd imagine if the company was doing matches each week, they would have some of their own season tickets for these matches. The same way Celtic Horizon and Wharton's are able to offer tickets for the big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Avoid travel agents with a bargepole tbh.

They just charge way over the odds.

Buy from clubs and book your own transport and accommodation for half the price.
    Spot on. I always organise my own trips. Going over to the City/Stoke game at the end of the month, and it took about 15 minutes to book my ticket, flights and acommodation. Good luck with your plans OP, but I think you may struggle to get it off the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I would not stay in a B&B with a random stranger.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

COYVB wrote: »
    I don't get any anyone would need accommodation...

Used to go to the villa every other week. Flight over in the morning, train to the city, catch a movie, train to the game and on to the airport, home and all for match of the day spending about €20 on flights, a fiver for the cinema, tenner for a bit of grub and a few bob for short term parking at the airport
    In fairness, you'd only get prices like that at Villa every other week. When I was going to United games every other week you'd either have to spend quite a bit on flying into Manchester or you could get reasonable prices flying to Liverpool, Leeds or Birmingham but it would still end up costing €50+ with trains, buses etc.

The only time I think I've ever had anything under €20 was for the league cup semi's vs City in 2010, €10 return for both matches and shared accomodation for about €20 each night. Aside from that, United away games were the cheapest option if you could get a ticket.

Advertisement