Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black flies on new laurel growth

• 04-08-2014 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭

Pruned laurel few weeks back.
    Noticed today that the new growth is infested with small black flies.
    If they are not harmful I'll leave them alone if not what do I do ?
    Pics attached
    Older part if hedge not really affected.
    Bought 2 bay trees for front of house at weekend and they have a few of same flies but not as bad. They were also clipped at weekend

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Pruned laurel few weeks back.
    Noticed today that the new growth is infested with small black flies.
    If they are not harmful I'll leave them alone if not what do I do ?
    Pics attached
    Older part if hedge not really affected.
    Bought 2 bay trees for front of house at weekend and they have a few of same flies but not as bad. They were also clipped at weekend
    anybody ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Have exactly the same flies on our laurel hedge too. Read somewhere the flies are attracted to the smell of the new leaves.
    Same thing happened last year and they didn't seem to do any harm to the hedge, we just left the flies to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Hose them off with a powerful hose each day. over a drain. you can also spray soapy water over them afterwards.

its that time of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

I don't know what they are, by I would think they are harmless

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Its defo blackfly they suck the sap out of the plant and can cause disease to form, also ants can farm them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement