Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oddest thing you've ever seen while cycling?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

A fellow cyclist smoking as he went along. Just thought it was funny.

Or another time very early in the morning some scum bags in a car trying to pull down them stalls at the side of a road that would sell spuds ect...
    I just looked and looked at them and they stopped and said hi boss. And took off in their car. Got only part of the number plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

There's been a few.....

Cycling into work one day and a bird (as in a tweet tweet bird) flew out of a hedge and into my front wheel making a mess of itself and the bike. Stopped and cleaned the mess as best I could........few kilometres further along a jeep hits a pigeon and sends it careening across the road into my chest!! In fairness the driver stopped and after we got passed the WTFs there was a bit of a laugh.

Then there was the guy cycling along Parnell Street dragging a wheelie bin.....

The night I went out on the mountain bike and decided to take a short cut home across the fields to the back of the house. I had only turned off the road when in the field I saw this pair shagging away.......as I cycled by I couldn't resist a "Lovely evening for it" all I got back in reply was a muffled "F$&K OFF!!"

.......and a recent sportive - a guy taking a dump in a ditch!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

A guy on a mobility scooter transporting another mobility scooter with one hand. Bit of a rarity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Came across what I initially thought was a brave female cyclist - long legs and VERY short shorts. Turned out to be a lad who had bought his kit from china on ebay. It was one of the hottest days of last summer and he reckoned that as the day went on his shorts were shrinking. When I left him he was phoning someone to come and collect him before they disappeared. I've a few bits from china and I am paranoid now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Michael Caine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Joffrey of House Baratheon, the First of His Name. King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm.

Think he was on a Fixie.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Used to do a local loop along a coastal path when I had a mtb. Often passed this blonde lady jogging. Anyway early one Sunday morning came around a corner to see her having a dump. Was both erotic and a very disturbing sight.

Can never keep a straight face when I pass her on the street:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Puggy wrote: »
    Used to do a local loop along a coastal path when I had a mtb. Often passed this blonde lady jogging. Anyway early one Sunday morning came around a corner to see her having a dump. Was both erotic and a very disturbing sight.

Paula Radcliffe? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Not very odd i suppose but during the RoK this year there were two horses that had their arses through a gate scratching them in full view of the cyclists going by. Gave me a good laugh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

A dog being chased by a bin in a busy car park.
    Dog must have been tied to said bin outside the shops and took fright and legged it.
    He made some sh!t of the cars!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Back in the 90's I was cycling down the North Wall Quays in Dublin heading towards The Point Depot when I saw a convoy of armoured vehicles and jeeps in british army colours swing out onto the road.

"Holy crap! They're back!" thinks I.

The reality, a movie being filmed, possibly The Boxer. Gave me quite a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I remember watching The Boxer, and seeing a cyclist in the background in one of the shots. He looked a bit freaked out too. That you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

giphy.gif

that gif is seriously hypnotic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

outfox wrote: »
    I remember watching The Boxer, and seeing a cyclist in the background in one of the shots. He looked a bit freaked out too. That you?

Was it a handsome fella with a dark brooding charisma and a total committment to every role he inhabits?
    On an anachronistic blue MTB with big chainring and skinny tyres?

Could only be me (or *possibly* DDL)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

2. Meeting a female cyclist on the Sutton/Clontarf cycle path who was wearing nothing but a green thong.

Saw a bloke with an afro 'wearing' something a bit short of a neon green thong on the Clontarf bike path before, giving the thumbs to passing cyclists. Pretty sure I got a PB after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Was cycling dublin to Galway last year when I came across a mannequins leg sticking out of a hedge near oranmore. After nearly 200km I was sure I was hallucinating - so went to check. And yes it was a plastic leg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Saw a fella cycling a push bike down the main street in Charleville, Co Cork wearing full motorbike leathers (including the helmet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

last week I saw an elderly lady, maybe about 70 years old, walking along the country road pushing a lawnmower.... she was wearing big work boots, lycra shorts and a lacy bra, her tits were almost down to the handles on the mower...

the week before I saw a moose grazing on the lane.. I decided to wait until it went away, didn't want to cycle past it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

The first real life fully naked woman I saw was as a young lad, about 12 or 13 cycling along a small country road a few miles from my home.
    There were a good few new age travellers / hippies around at the time and this one was standing on the side of the road being fondled by her dirty hippie boyfriend who was sitting in the drivers seat of his car reaching through the window, stopped in the road!

There were a few of us out on the spin but I had a worn cotter pin and there was a right creak from the crank. We could have gotten a much closer look only for it and the lads slagged me for ages :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Today I saw a courier van actually deliver a parcel to somebodies house. It really was quite odd.........I thought they only ever delivered parcels to the petrol station nearest to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭fillup

Cycling along the sea front in Clontarf today when I saw a dude in his 20s approaching me on a BMX riding with his knees banging off his chin and hands free

I thought he was just being non-chalant and too cool for school to be worried about getting blown into my path by the buggery blustery wind blowing this morning

But as we passed I saw that he was whizing along, listening to his choons on his head phones and holding a salad in a plastic tray in one hand and shovelling it into his gob with a fork with the other hand

I didn't know know whether to be annoyed with his reckless riding or applaud his bike handling skills

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭paddie9

Mink coal black chasing a fair coloured one down the road. Before u ask they were still alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...when i came across ... A bowl of spuds..... You heard correct a bowl of spuds just chilling on the side of the road?....
    I was cycling through Lisburn this morning and saw a bottle of red wine and a half filled glass sitting side by side on the edge of a footpath (with no one around).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I saw a Garda vehickle driving down the off road cycle track near the coachmans. I passed them whilst on the road. They had one wheel either side of the track on the grass verges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Didn't have anything for this thread until yesterday.

On Sutton side climb of Howth I saw 2 old folk sniffing a telephone or ESB pole. One of the wooden creosote covered ones.

Not down at dog piss level mind you. Now that would have been really weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....the off road cycle track near the coachmans..
    :confused: This is news to me. Where about is it?
    (I presume you're referring to the Coachman's pub at Cloghran?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

A lady dwarf in hot pants, just standing at the side of the road......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

A skinsuit at a sportive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

:confused: This is news to me. Where about is it?
    (I presume you're referring to the Coachman's pub at Cloghran?)

Yeah. If you were coming from swords and turned left just before the coachmans, there is well hidden track ("track" probably a flattering description !) on the right. I'm not sure how you'd actually get onto it. Not that I would want to use it as it seems to be covered in all sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I didn't see it (thank jebubs) but I think this would be weird....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91103896&postcount=4171

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

About a month ago I was going up over the top of Coom between ballingeary and the county bounds and I saw a black and white sheep. It looked like it was a friesian sheep. I'm kicking myself I never took a photo tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

dvntie wrote: »
    About a month ago I was going up over the top of Coom between ballingeary and the county bounds and I saw a black and white sheep. It looked like it was a friesian sheep. I'm kicking myself I never took a photo tho

Loads of them around this year for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

ROK ON wrote: »
    Loads of them around this year for some reason.

I reckon there's a a pack of wild cows worrying sheep down there 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Didn't have anything for this thread until yesterday.

On Sutton side climb of Howth I saw 2 old folk sniffing a telephone or ESB pole. One of the wooden creosote covered ones.

Not down at dog piss level mind you. Now that would have been really weird.

I know 1 odd couple in Sutton live near my parents wouldnt surprise me if it was them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Not technically something I saw... I was once hit by a wave on the footpath right after Dollymount strand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Packed up the mountain bikes on Sunday after a spin, headed to local shop for Coffee, a man standing in front of his house with a Ginormous Owl on his arm. This house was in the middle of a row of houses and was at Sunday mid day. Freaked me out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On a cycle home one night, I found my self in desperate need to relieve myself, everywhere seem closed so I nipped down the steps at Leeson St. Bridge, as I ran down the steps I started to get unbutton, turned the corner to start my relief only to realise I was flashing a brazer and her John, she stopped to look at me from a kneeling position, he didn't seem to notice as his back was against the wall. I apologised and ran away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

Junior wrote: »
    Packed up the mountain bikes on Sunday after a spin, headed to local shop for Coffee, a man standing in front of his house with a Ginormous Owl on his arm. This house was in the middle of a row of houses and was at Sunday mid day. Freaked me out.

It's someone checking why the Hogwarts acceptance letter wasn't returned. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

coming back from a spin just there and saw a lad one his turbo trainer in the park, couple lads with him watching on.. not odd, as such, but i dunno what he was doing, unless there was some race on nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

On Nutley lane, passed me out at head height and then headed down a side road, a magpie chasing a little yellow budgie - the budgie flapping his little wings for all his worth. I fear it didn't end well for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

On my mountain bike on an overgrown track between Bredin Street and Newfoundwell in Drogheda (before Bridgeford was built) I saw a large hairy leg through the bushes ahead. Slammed on the brakes and ended up with my nose about 9 or 10 inches from the chest of a startled camel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    On my mountain bike on an overgrown track between Bredin Street and Newfoundwell in Drogheda (before Bridgeford was built) I saw a large hairy leg through the bushes ahead. Slammed on the brakes and ended up with my nose about 9 or 10 inches from the chest of a startled camel.

:eek: That's kind of amazing. How did it end?! Are you at one with camel kind now? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

gadetra wrote: »
    :eek: That's kind of amazing. How did it end?! Are you at one with camel kind now? ;)

Luckily the camel was very tame, think we both had the same 'WTF?' moment but he had no huge objections as I slowly backed my way down the track and cycled around the block instead. Turned out there was a circus set up in the field the track opened up into. They seemed not to have noticed the overgrown track, the camel was on a rope but it was long enough for it to wander down there. That's what they told me anyway, I didn't see any rope during my face to face with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Doc07

Saw a lad skateboarding on military road today wearing a motorbike helmet. He gave me a wave and I gave him 'thumbs up' sign. Anyone else see him or was I hallucinating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I didn't see it, but I was cycling though the (deserted) park from Clonskeagh to Milltown on a rainy afternoon, when there was a slight thud on my helmet - as if I had been hit by a pebble or something.

Thinking no more of it, I cycled on, only for about 10 seconds later to have something horrible and slimy drop down the back of my neck.

I can only assume a thrush or similar was trying to crack open a snail's shell by dropping it from a branch onto the path, only for my head to intervene.

So while I was thinking "WTF was that?", it was thinking "WTF, where did my dinner go?".

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Paris Hong

I saw a boy rode his bike in the morning, because of difficulty in breathing in the plateau area ,he inhaleded a mosquito and coughed serious enough. And then, his face red and twisted with rage. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Doc07 wrote: »
    Saw a lad skateboarding on military road today wearing a motorbike helmet. He gave me a wave and I gave him 'thumbs up' sign. Anyone else see him or was I hallucinating?

A bunch of them zip down one of the hills up near Kippure. I've seen em in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

This one I didn't see, but I sure felt it. Heading along the Clontarf track having just left the Wooden Bridge behind and I get an awful smack on the side of my head. It almost took me off the bike. I looked back to see what it was and a starling was looking as dazed as I was. I had a headache all day. I don't know what became of the starling though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement